Any painters? Looking for advice on Candy.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Any painters? Looking for advice on Candy.

So I have decided to try my hand at painting some "candy"? First, can someone give me some info on the terminology...is it called Candy color? Candy clear? what are the different steps/color stages referred to?

Next, I've watched some videos, read what I could and I think I have a decent understanding of how it works, but...

Say I want to do Candy Apple Red...first I put down a base color (maybe silver), then the apple red candy clear goes over that?

I've done some base coat / clear coat, and while I'm no expert, I can do it well enough to pass the quick eye test.

Re: Any painters? Looking for advice on Candy.

All I know about it is you cannot put it on with a brush!

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    All I know about it is you cannot put it on with a brush!
    Good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post
    So I have decided to try my hand at painting some "candy"? First, can someone give me some info on the terminology...is it called Candy color? Candy clear? what are the different steps/color stages referred to?

Next, I've watched some videos, read what I could and I think I have a decent understanding of how it works, but...

Say I want to do Candy Apple Red...first I put down a base color (maybe silver), then the apple red candy clear goes over that?

I've done some base coat / clear coat, and while I'm no expert, I can do it well enough to pass the quick eye test.
    "Candy Apple" or "Candy (for short)" paint job refers to a process where the color is transparent and applied over a base. The color and base are dependent on each other for the finished effect.
    They do need to be clear coated.
    A traditional candy apple red paint job was/is transparent red over either silver or gold metallic base, then clear coated. Endless combinations can be combined. Incidentally the best looking "metalflake" paint jobs are actually transparent colors over silver or gold flakes, not pre-colored flakes (my opinion).
    That is the short answer.
    Last edited by metalman21; 03-25-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    Ernie F.

Have not done one lately, this was the last candy job I did:
    Name:  Mvc-571x.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  121.7 KB
    Name:  Mvc-559x.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  106.1 KBName:  Mvc-561x.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  75.3 KB
    Ernie F.

i never ran into any of those materials when i worked as a spray painter in the roll off/dumpster shop. the main colors were green,blue and battleship gray. no clear ever.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Have not done one lately, this was the last candy job I did:
    Name:  Mvc-571x.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  121.7 KB
    Name:  Mvc-559x.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  106.1 KBName:  Mvc-561x.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  75.3 KB
    even at a distance along with dubious photography that's some nice paint slinging. you used a cup gun? not electrostatic to get that finish??
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

You stated you have watched some videos. The ones you want to watch are by Jon Kozmoski (sp) he is the guru of candy paint and more or less perfected it and its application. He was the creator of HOK (House of Kolor) paints later bought out by Valspar. You did not mention what you want to paint, but the largest takeaway from his videos is you have to 'walk' the gun'-what this means is- if you are going to candy the side of a vehicle- you do NOT move your arm/hand in a conventional painting style, instead you literally start the gun spraying and walk down the Entire side of the vehicle at a consistent speed any variation in this 'walk' will result in variations in the color. The other trick was when you start the paint flow is throttled way way back and you slowly open up the fluid feed with each additional pass to build the color. And yes you are correct you laid down a base generally silver basecoat, the candy and then the clear. True 'candy' is more like a dye that is fully transparent there is no metallic in the 'candy' and like old time lacquer it the slow build up of the layers that give it its depth. Keep in mind that unless it is a small item any damage is not easily repaired-due to the need to 'walk' the paint gun so you get no color variation. Hope this helps and have fun.

I think it will be notoriously difficult to prevent "striping". I don't know if the candy's are out in poly urethanes or other enamels or not, they may be easier to shoot.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Material is expensive but it might be cheaper to do a couple of smaller projects before starting the primary one.

I toss a good paint job but never played with candy(well there was a Candy in Miami....but).
    Theres a second version of the gArbaje jUrinal called hAMB or something ??? where there are a lot of old rod guys who shoot Candy all the time. Sign up and check'em out.
    I'm just a go to the PPG store and pick up my box/follow instructions kinda guy.

If you have never shot candy, id suggest you go hang out and watch someone that has.
    Its VERY picky about travel speed and gun manipulation. If you hesitate while spraying, change gun angle or flow rate even for a half second, you are gonna have blotches and or striping.
    And don't even think about spraying candy if you are tired. Be fully rested because you are going to work your a$$ off.
    There are very few guys in the entire world that can pull off a " perfect " candy job. It really is that damn hard to do...
    For product selection, id go House of Kolor all the way.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Thanks all. I'm probably going to bite off more than I can chew, but I'm going to give it a go.

I'm building a couple little red wagons for my granddaughters and going to do one red and the other purple. I really want to try the candy process.

I'll look at the HoK website and see what they have. Is the silver base a special paint, or just run of the mill base coat?

Thanks all. I'm probably going to bite off more than I can chew, but I'm going to give it a go.

I'm building a couple little red wagons for my granddaughters and going to do one red and the other purple. I really want to try the candy process.

I'll look at the HoK website and see what they have. Is the silver base a special paint, or just run of the mill base coat?
    its just base coat. typically HOK orion silver or HOK solar gold. HOK stuff seems, to me anyways, to be very chemically hot so i don't know if id shoot a base
    from another manufacturer and then use HOK candy. There could be issues but i have never tried it so i can't confirm that.
    i have shot HOK clear over dupont base with no ill effects. I can tell you that the HOK cosmic clear is a bit$H to sand but
    resulted in the best deep clear that i have used. i shot some high solids dupont clear, nason clear and HOK clear side by side
    on a sail panel to see what the results would be for just sh$Ts and giggles. after wet sanding and buffing all 3, the HOK
    just killed the other 2 but was the worse to sand. We used to have access to really nice high solids clears but the EPA
    put the kibosh on it. I vote we dismantle the EPA.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Bevis
    You summed it up nicely re the speed and why it is so difficult. Have you ever tried SPI (Southern Polyurethanes) Universal clear? They're based north of you in GA. Really nice finish and very nice to sand.
    Last edited by 131re; 03-28-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Ron J you sound like you know a little bit. You're right, there's 2 stage kandys and 3 stage kandys and You're right, you can add the kandy koncentrates to your clear, as a matter of fact, you can spray them multiple coats till they're so dark they're black......or just a tiny bit for some pop.... HOUSE OF KOLORS easy Kandy line 2 stage base coat clear coat is KBC (Kandy Base Coat) and i can easily match nearly ANY tri stage candy apple in the world with just simple KBC-11 and maybe a little KK-11 over the top..been doin it for 30 years every single day of my life
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    thermal arc 252i - millermatic 350P - alphatig 200 gen4 - Hypertherm 1250 G3

candy paint is crazy hard to get right on any large panels. Much easier to pick a really nice metallic colour. Do the "dusting" of metallic paint (quick fast layer to let the metal flakes stand up) before some REALLY smooth coats of clear, and you'll get a real "pop" to the colour.

Not meaning to put you off the candy, though be sure to show us the finished job!

SO VERY TRUE. I loved lacquer. "a gallon of lacquer & 6 pack = BEAUTIFUL one of a kind paint job"

Kandy Apple is Hard on large objects That is for sure. use to do prep for a friend that painted. He painted his wife's 56 Chevy Kandy Apple green her name was Kandy. It took a lot of work to get the car ready and to pant, and yes not something to do late when you are tired.
    fixit32068 loved the smell of Lacquer
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders

I'm bad to the bone with wet sanding and a variable speed buffer assortment. That's where it ends.

I chickened out on the candy paint. Ended up just doing a base coat then masked off the flames and put down a coat of clear binder with some pearl powder in it and dusted the flames.

They are a little darker than "Ghost flames", but I'm happy with how they turned out.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got back from watching that old hippy from HOK dance with a spray gun....Dude is awesome like "Bruce Lee paints car."
    Me ? Humpty dumpty sand base coat. Humpty dumpty wet sands clear @ 1500. Three times

EDIT, never mind, looks good.

Try mesh netting and airbrush for a look like snake scales.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Incidentally the best looking "metalflake" paint jobs are actually transparent colors over silver or gold flakes, not pre-colored flakes (my opinion).
    That is the short answer.
    This.
    prime
    sand
    flake
    DO NOT SAND
    clear
    clear
    wet-sand (don't get the flake)
    color (until desired color saturation is achieved, note that red candy over silver flake starts really pink)
    wetsand
    color again, OR stencil/airbrush art, OR clear OR clear w/pearl

Last coat must be clear.
    Don't BS around with unknown clear/hardener.
    I once purchased a clear hardener from Napa which did not match the paint manufactures system.
    It should have worked, but did not, and the clear did not become 100% fuel resistant.
    Much cursing and re-work ensued.
    Last edited by BananasCentral; 04-28-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    If you are selling a lathe that swings 22", and live in Central FL, please PM me a price and some pics.