Stainless Steel Safety
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Stainless Steel Safety

I have done a bit of stainless mig welding (mostly just tacking up, and way less then 8 hours total) in my attached garage. Any cutting has been done with a bandsaw, though the parts were also cleaned up with wire wheels and used flap discs.

Aside from opening the garage door and wearing a 3m 2097 respirator for lung protection, should I be concerned with clothing getting contaminated?

Re: Stainless Steel Safety

No

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Contaminated with what?

Stainless welding is the cleanest welding you will ever do!

I's be VERY concerned with the clothes being contaminated. By that boleshiit your ol lady gets for soap and fabric softener.
    A lil 304/308/316 dust....might make your ballz itch if it doesnt come out in the spin cycle.
    Good choice of a respirator. The wheel is far worse than the steel

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    I's be VERY concerned with the clothes being contaminated. By that boleshiit your ol lady gets for soap and fabric softener.
    A lil 304/308/316 dust....might make your ballz itch if it doesnt come out in the spin cycle.
    Good choice of a respirator. The wheel is far worse than the steel
    Leave your balls it of it. Most probly its that wacky tobacky.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

I should hope not... most people don't even bother with a respirator while cutting and TIG welding S/S.

MIG and stick welding S/S is a different ballgame - according to HSE guidelines it puts out a much larger amount of hexavalent chromium than TIG. Should definitely wear a respirator with that. Nasty lung cancer particles.

Having said that, I've done my share of stick welding stainless and didn't even realise there was an issue until recently.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr770.pdf quite a decent bit of unbiased research
    Last edited by Munkul; 03-27-2019 at 03:59 AM.

A buddy who was on a large stainless job said that with all the workplace rules it was easier to assume the worst and put everyone on respirators with clean breathing air supply. That was easier than having environmental consultants run up huge charges determining where the stainless dust and fume was a danger. Once you get used to the apparatus you adapt. Some rigs allow you to regulate the temp of the air from warm to cool according to the temp you are working in.

All that gets contaminated is the wire and disc. Never use a wheel for carbon and then use it for stainless.