Negative Experience at Welding Shop
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Negative Experience at Welding Shop

I am currently building a Rock Crawler and I needed to make a custom intake manifold that has a throttle body on the firewall side of my 2.7l Toyota motor.

I purchased all of the raw materials and built my flange. I had everything fabricated and ready to be welded together. All parts were easy to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning before welding.

I packed my stuff up and made a trip to a local "Welding and Fabrication Shop." Walked in and asked if they did tig welding on aluminum. They relplied and asked what I needed done. I told them and asked if they'd like me to bring it in. I brought it all in and meet the gentleman that will be doing the welding as well as the shop owner and the receptionist. They look it over and ask what all needs welded. I told them it needed to be welded down all tubing seams and around each tube where it mates the flange and plenum. They said it would be 3 hours at $100 an hour. I questioned and asked "Only 3 hours to weld all said parts." they said yes. I agreed to leave the part and they would start on it at their next availability. 3 weeks later they call for me to come and pick up my part. When she walked out I was absolutely in awe over the quality that I had received, unable to even speak I paid my $300 and left.

What recourse would there be if I returned tomorrow and expressed my dissatisfaction?
    Should I have expected closer to the quality I received?
    Should I be pissed?
    Should I cut my losses and reorder all the materials($290) and start over?

Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  82.4 KB
Views: 1439
Size:  104.9 KB
    Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  172.0 KB
Views: 1441
Size:  174.1 KB
    Last edited by Muskogee; 03-25-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Re: Negative Experience at Welding Shop

Uhhh… You got hosed... Bad. Worst, is that is not likely to be reworked successfully. I doubt any of those welds are air tight.

TO INVENT YOU NEED A GOOD IMAGINATION AND A PILE OF JUNK'' - THOMAS EDISON
    Most Of The Time People Don't see The Quality of a Good Job Unitl they see a Bad Job !! -Scott Esplin

Is this a f’ing joke?! An actual business had you pay for that mess? I would half *** test it for its ability to hold vacuum, and when it fails, show up unannounced. Be calm and collected and at the very least get your money back. Wow, that’s really bad.

i dont know anything about welding aluminum or tig welding but i dont think that looks very good so i would be upset not sure what i would do but im sure my face would have said a lot when i saw it and had to hand them $$
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

Im not sure what my face said but I'm happy my mouth didn't open. It wouldn't have been pleasant.

yea ive learned when im very upset best to not open mouth and wait till i have processed things a bit - im at a loss as to how someone can keep a business running with that quality of work as well as a person that would be ok with that kind of work going out their door with their name attached to it, maybe they have a 200/hour welder there ;-)
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Hypertherm Powermax 800

Be Pissed. You have a lot of money and time in the materials and machining prior to welding. I find it hard to believe you were ok with that. I'd have told him he owes me money for the materials and time it took to machine them prior to welding. That's F-ing atrocious.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

I don't weld aluminum, but I do weld steel, I'm not near as good as I used to be, but when I lay down a bead that needs to be ground to make it look decent I always get good penetration and no slag inclusion or other contaminants. That just flat looks to be porous as hell.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

is that splatter like a stick welder would leave ? does a tig make lil splatter like that like a stick welder or is this some kind of mig/spool gun type work? im sorry for asking i just dont knwo the difference and would want to clarify if someone was going to do this kind of work for me
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Hypertherm Powermax 800

Looks like a spool and some tig? but idk.

There is a lot of mig welding there. You can tell by the spatter originating from between the tubes. Tig does not do that.

Sorry you had to end up with that. And it is pretty tough for the weld shop to make it right because it is harder to correct a FUBAR than it is do do it right the first time. Looks like a rookie welded that. And they dragged it around on spatter and arcing spots on the table by all the the scratches everywhere. I bet it leaks too. Maybe you can point that out.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

In all honesty, if this isn't some kind of joke, that part is ruined.

I do weld aluminum, and that is an embarrassment.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Its 100% not a joke. If it didn't take me 15 minutes to load those photos i'd show you more. its bad. I spent a way more hours than I should've trying to fit it up. While $600 some odd dollars doesn't break the bank the hours invested make me sick.
    Last edited by Muskogee; 03-25-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskogee View Post
    Its 100% not a joke. If it didn't take me 15 minutes to load those photos i'd show you more. its bad. I spent a way more hours than I should've trying to fit it up. While $600 some odd dollars doesn't break the bank the hours invested make me sick.
    honestly, I would sue them for the replacement of material and labor. Even a judge would look at this like WTF! This shop should know better.

This is no different than hiring a landscaper, then coming home and all your landscape is chopped up, and grass is turned to dirt. Sorry this happened to you. What a terrible experience.

I agree with others- looks like someone tried to spool gun it. Sad to think they even thought about using mig process for this project- tells me they had no business doing it. This shop should have known this- and told you BEFORE they wrecked your project. I would demand the replacement of your hardware at minimum. If they refuse, tell them you're going to take the pictures to social media. Word of mouth can do wonderous things.

Looks like some hack did a lousy mig job and then someone tried to doctor it up with tig, I would make them replace that since they botched it up so bad. Some folks just don't know their limitations.

CR

Give them a link to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

WOW!!!! I just can't believe a shop did that!!!! I don't weld aluminum except with those quick spattery large rods.... and this looks like what my results are... I have to agree with what most everyone else says, I don't think it's worth the time to try and rework the parts to save them... I feel for ya' from all the work you put into them to start with but if it were me I would start over.

Wow. Did the owner walk funny? He must have a gigantic set of balls to turn out work like that and expect to get paid.

Then again, you paid.

Side note. This is why specialty shops exist. In my experience, most shops focus on getting **** done and out the door. A general welding shop looking to turn out only top quality work is a rarity.

Looks like you did a pretty good job of fitting the parts. Any halfway decent Tig welder should have been able to make that look good.
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 03-26-2019 at 01:04 AM.
    My name's not Jim....

Small court claims time. They owe you the $300. plus materials, plus $100/hr for your time getting it ready plus a few hundred for butt hurt. If it's one of those brokeasz wanna be welding dumps just toss a 5 gallon can of gas in and pass by a little later with a flare gun

Jesus. If they can charge $100hr for that I need to raise my prices.
    Especially since you requested tig I would be upset because that looks like mig to me (not good mig either) so its not what you wanted and trash.
    I would refuse that for sure.

such a shame.... it would have been a pleasure to weld up for any half competent alum TIG welder.

I know that I would have taken one look at it and refused to pay right then and there. In fact I would have been kicking off big-style. (not aggressively, just matter-of-fact and persistently) and as already stated, I'd be wanting the shop to pay me back some money for the replacement manifold materials. Whether I'd get it or not, at least the shop manager would know what happens when a shoddy job is produced.

That manifold looks bad, but it might well be functional enough. It will definitely need leak tested, though, and possible repair.

Next time, know the golden rule: don't pay for anything unless you're happy with it. You can always backtrack later and pay up, if needed.

II mean I aint shiit in comparison to most REAL tiggers but gimme a break.

Name:  P8251361.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  70.0 KB

I would have left it there and walked out. I can't even weld that poorly if I try to.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication