Welding fire incident
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding fire incident

Had an interesting incident a few days ago I wanted to share, because it's show how easy it is to start a fire with a welder. A subcontractor I know was welding H-braces on a ranch fence he was building. It was a little gusty outside, but not like a continuous wind. He had an assistant with him helping and watching for sparks, with a water sprayer handy. Everything went smoothly for a while. They moved down the fence line and looked back and huge flames were coming up 20 feet away from where he was welding FIFTEEN MINUTES ago. Apparently a gust had carried a spark into a patch of dry grass and it had just glowed there until it finally flared up. Anyway, he and the local fire departments spent the next two days fighting that fire. He wasn't charged or fined or anything; the sheriff said it was just one of those chance things, he didn't do anything wrong. But it was a long, long day for him.

Be careful out there.
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Re: Welding fire incident

Glad he wasn't charged and no one was hurt, scary though for sure. I bet he saw his whole financial future burning up in that fire

Can the "assistant" walk right yet? If I was paying a guy to watch for fires, he better be on it.

HAHA good point! Working alone any time you see that weird orange glow coming in from behind your helmet it's a nightmare, heart stopping moment

Um, that guy didn't get a job in France recently, did he?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeff.kabel View Post
    Um, that guy didn't get a job in France recently, did he?

, i think more grinders start firew than welding. but i knew a dairyman in s. calif, that had a hired welder building cow corrals. down there they get santa ana winds that get up to 70-80 mph. i dont know how fast it was blowing that day, but the weld blew into a haystack/barn, (a few hundred ton of hay), that wind engulfed it so fast. the dairyman had ins., and claimed he had more hay than he really did, so he came out OK. it burnt for several days

This is why the standard rule is fire watch for at least 30 minutes after last weld in an area... because stuff can smolder for a pretty long time without being noticed, and having wind blowing makes it worse!!!

I try to spray the area before and after welding. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket of water at hand. I have started 2 minor fires while working in grassy areas. Both were easily contained with the 5 gallon bucket. Both were after misting with water, and sparked up with the hood down.

Fires should definitely be top of mind any time you do any sort of welding!

What could Possibly Go Wrong?

Working outside the wind is a factor along with dry conditions. I would set up a section of scaffolding with some fire blankets for wind a spark protection. One upright at each end and a cross brace takes five minutes to set up. Lay a couple of fire blankets down and go to it. Don't fire fire extinguishers and a bucket or drum of water on truck.

Work area safety and fire awareness is always the responsibility of the person doing the welding. It always falls back on the person who is making the sparks. I’ve seen guys loose their jobs because of this on more than one occasion. On any commercial or industrial job, if you don’t have a fire extinguisher present at the weld area, your going to get yourself into some serious trouble.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

I work with a hose in the "shop".

In the field, I use a PTO chemical sprayer full of water (200gal) to wet down the area near the welding. If it's blowing over about 10ish mph...…….I don't weld...….period. Just not worth it. Fire is a very serious threat here during dry spells, and all Winter long.

Hitting it with a weed wacker before you weld is a good idea too.

My current welding truck im operating i lit a puddle of oil on top of the gas tank on fire. Not my proudest moment! The truck had a sa 200 that came with the purchase and the custom welding bed was open below the sa 200 (to allow easy welder oil changes). Well one of the trucks gas tank straps broke off the frame, so i decided to weld it back to the truck frame. Didnt know there was this puddle of oil sitting perfectly on top of the gas tank that was from the sa 200 leaking oil from above. Everything else around looked really clean. The trail blazer had already been mounted to the truck so i never noticed a oul leak from above.

Scary thats for sure! I grabbed my fire extinguisher fast!!!! and then dealt with the complete mess it made of my shop afterward but better that blowing myself up!!!

Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

They never figured out for sure, but it was generally thought that welding started this one.

Guys building fence started a fire in the identical place a day before. About 2 1/2 miles to the South. When it refired, it took about half an hour to get to this point.

Truck going by was one of the volunteers hauling water for the pumpers. Dood was runnin' balz to the wall coming back up for more water.

By the time all was done...……...this fire burned for about 30 miles.

Burned past us, wind reversed, and it came back across us that night.

Welding isn't anything to mess with.

One warm December morning I was welding a piece of aluminum for a buddy's detach trailer. It was a calm morning, so I just opened the door of the shop and welded it on the back of my 51 Chevy pickup. Two days previously I unintentionally filled the gas tank on the pickup all the way, and the pickup was sitting on a slight slope with the filler neck on the downhill side. The sunshine warmed the inside of the cab, causing the gas to expand and dribble out the filler neck.

I was unaware of this until I heard a POP while I was welding. I stopped welding, lifted my hood, and saw the passenger's side of my 51 ON FIRE. I grabbed my first 10 pound fire extinguisher and could not knock down the flames all the way. I grabbed my second 10 pounder and still could not get ahead of the flames. I yelled in the house for my wife to get the FD coming while I tried the garden hose in vain. FD arrived in 3 minutes, which seemed like 4 hours, and quickly got the fire put out. While I was not happy my pickup burned, I was really concerned about my shop. Luckily the flames were confined to the passenger side of the pickup, away from my newly completed shop. I was very fortunate and learned a hard lesson that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerehauler View Post
    One warm December morning I was welding a piece of aluminum for a buddy's detach trailer. It was a calm morning, so I just opened the door of the shop and welded it on the back of my 51 Chevy pickup. Two days previously I unintentionally filled the gas tank on the pickup all the way, and the pickup was sitting on a slight slope with the filler neck on the downhill side. The sunshine warmed the inside of the cab, causing the gas to expand and dribble out the filler neck.

I was unaware of this until I heard a POP while I was welding. I stopped welding, lifted my hood, and saw the passenger's side of my 51 ON FIRE. I grabbed my first 10 pound fire extinguisher and could not knock down the flames all the way. I grabbed my second 10 pounder and still could not get ahead of the flames. I yelled in the house for my wife to get the FD coming while I tried the garden hose in vain. FD arrived in 3 minutes, which seemed like 4 hours, and quickly got the fire put out. While I was not happy my pickup burned, I was really concerned about my shop. Luckily the flames were confined to the passenger side of the pickup, away from my newly completed shop. I was very fortunate and learned a hard lesson that day.
    I always ran Dodges till I bought my first Ford.

My old 1963 D-100, 1966 D-100, and 1978 PowerWagon, all had the cab tanks like yours.

Was weird hearing the gas slosh behind the seat, but you just got used to it.

'They' said (WTF are "they"?) that the filler neck would shear in an accident, and spray the cab with gasoline. It was why they banned the cab tanks, so I heard.

Was a guy on here years ago...…...He went by 'Oldtimer'.

I think he was a retired petroleum industry welder. Lots of pipe.

Anyways...…...he'd always put up pics of the fires he used to start in his yard from using the grinder A fact that I can well attest to. Grinders start more fires than welding.

He had a cat...…….called it Oreo.....black cat with white on it.

Hasn't posted here in years. I figure he's gone. I miss that guy.

Yeah, heard all the stories about the Ford's like our 67 with the tank behind the seat coming apart in accidents and roasting ya'.... Well fortunately ours didn't ! When we got headoned by a bunch of teens in a Camaro drifting around a highway corner.

Back in 2011 I was working out in Denver City TX building another unit at a power plant, The tumbleweeds piled up against the fence outside the switchyard, one of us welders and I couldnt say which one of us as there was a bunch of us sent some sparks with the wind into the pile of tumbleweeds. With the combination of the wind and the heat from the fire some of the lit up tumbleweeds climbed up over the fence into the yard, they shut us down to help fight the fire. We didn't get blamed for it, the folks that owned the plant was responsible for keeping the tumbleweeds cleared out and hadn't cleaned them up in over a year. Seems this happened before on a number of occasions where they would pile up and blow over the fence into the yard and get lit up in the electrics there

Just this week I was workin on a shovel and got one going on top a cylinder down inside the backwall. I couldnt reach it to smother it with an old glove so I blew off my 10 pounder putting it out. I was more worried about burning the seal in the cylinder than anything. so I go to home depot and get another one to replace it that night, the mine inspector who Ive known for years was doing some shopping there and asked me about it, I told him what happened and he laughed and said good deal he really didn't want to go out and investigate a fire someone got fried in
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 04-19-2019 at 08:53 AM.

I mean I may or may not have been responsible for burning a forty or two. or three
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Started a fire with my grinder once. Was cutting some tubing with a 1/16" cutoff wheel and smelled smoke. A few steps away was a 12-foot-wide circle of grass in flames about chest-high, and spreading fast. Luckily, I just happened to have a water hose right there. Scared the snot out of me. Since then, I have ALWAYS had a water hose (with the water turned on and the nozzle closed) nearby when I'm welding or grinding. It only takes one little spark....
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

I have a foam pad I kneel on when working on the floor. It has lit up numerous times on me. Sometimes I can smell it, other times I can feel it.

Just yesterday when working outside I started the pine needles on fire a few times with the mig. I could smell the burning pine needles every time.

I always spend an hour cleaning up and watching for smoke after working for the day.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    I have a foam pad I kneel on when working on the floor. It has lit up numerous times on me. Sometimes I can smell it, other times I can feel it.

Just yesterday when working outside I started the pine needles on fire a few times with the mig. I could smell the burning pine needles every time.

I always spend an hour cleaning up and watching for smoke after working for the day.
    I think most weldors have great sense of smell where burning is concerned. I can tell the difference in grass, hair electrical or cotton clothing, even different rods.

I think it was posted on here a couple of years ago about the welder that started the fire in Overland Park, KS that burned and damaged many houses. That day had gusty winds and the fire department couldn't get ahead of the spread.

If there are dry conditions and winds, don't weld outside. Wait for a calm day. I've been on fires where the wind was strong enough to sandblast the windshields of the attack trucks bad enough they both had to be replaced. Fortunately that scene didn't have much fuel load. If there is much fuel load the only thing that will stop a wind driven wild fire is a tractor and disc.