your eyes - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your eyes

Re: your eyes

Another old wore out misfit here. Had to get glasses for the DMV to pass the eye chart. I am deaf as a post between the Armor battalion was in and the noise that goes with the profession of welding. Doc at VA says no cataracts. Must just be natural progression. I run a shade 8 gold big lens and don't care for the auto darkening either. Run my 2.75 reading glasses under my hood. Found where I moved to is about 30 mile from a decent steel supply. All the rest the places are as high as buying material from tractor supply. Don't neglect your hearing as there is no fixing it and the damage is cumulative. Also have the tinnitus to go along with the deaf part.

Samm, just do it, you'll be glad you did. I had lasik in 2001 and no longer need glasses for anything but reading, my wife has had cataracts in both eyes done, back in 2002 or so on one eye, lasik on the other and then had to have the lasik eye de-cataracted. The advancements in eye surgery, & vision correction is changing as fast as technology.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I have to wear glasses to drive but take them off to weld. I still need optical clarity to weld and my 3M 9100 has been awesome.
    I can weld with almost any helmet but cannot see anywhere near as well as with the 9100.
    Young guys, enjoy your youth while you have it!

I started getting cataracts last year. I was down south in texas for the winter. I did my first welding of the year this past week. Unless I am doing bench welding where I can set up the welding perfect for me all I can see is the arc glow. I can not read the puddle any more. I called the guy I was working for and told him to get someone else to do any more welding that is out of position. I got through the job this last week but I am ashamed of the welding I did. It will not break but is sure does not look very good. I am told by my insurance company that they will not approve cataract surgery until my vision gets worse. No way to know how long that will take. I am 64 so I think I am going to throw in the towel on doing anymore welding other than stuff I can do in my personal shop and set up perfect and take my time. I had a hard time stick welding last summer but its really bad now. i am finding that when I read a book or read on the computer that the words look like there are 3 words stacked on to of one another. It does not happen all the time but is happening more and more.
    Last edited by thegary; 05-11-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I started getting cataracts last year. I was down south in texas for the winter. I did my first welding of the year this past week. Unless I am doing bench welding where I can set up the welding perfect for me all I can see is the arc glow. I can not read the puddle any more. I called the guy I was working for and told him to get someone else to do any more welding that is out of position. I got through the job this last week but I am ashamed of the welding I did. It will not break but is sure does not look very good. I am told by my insurance company that they will not approve cataract surgery until my vision gets worse. No way to know how long that will take. I am 64 so I think I am going to throw in the towel on doing anymore welding other than stuff I can do in my personal shop and set up perfect and take my time. I had a hard time stick welding last summer but its really bad now. i am finding that when I read a book or read on the computer that the words look like there are 3 words stacked on to of one another. It does not happen all the time but is happening more and more.
    What a shame. It seems odd that your ins. won't pay for the surgery when you're obviously impaired. This getting old is getting old. I hit seven zero and though I can still see well enough, switching between two pairs of glasses and an occasional cheater, it's my body that's crapping out. Morin tells me he's 'gonna die with his hood on' but my problem is my hands are getting to the point where it hurts to put that hood on!

Best of luck to you. I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure how to put frijoles on the plate absent building boats.