Klutch horizontal vertical bandsaw - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Klutch horizontal vertical bandsaw

You may consider contacting Jet and ask about their castings. Their saws are cast, from what I read, and are still using molds have way back when. A member here bought a Jet and it was a total disaster. I'm not sure how he made out complaining to them but he was able to return it and bought a ELLIS.
    It wouldn't hurt to call or ask them about warranty before you buy. Once they have your $$$ who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the post #21 by MrSmith
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...41#post6277741

That's exactly what I am afraid of. The issue you cited seems to be a little a bit more extreme than the norm but I do expect to have some finish flaws and a fair amount of fiddling to do. Jet's warranty is very good these days, but i am sure I will have to win a fight cash in on it. I guess I will have the answers as I am probably going to roll the dice and take my chances. I could use the credit for other stuff and buy a saw somewhere else. Maybe I will call airgas and see how much the an Ellis is. $2995 is the best price I have seen, then there is the shipping.

Thanks for posting!!

What's your location ? Air DID have decent prices before. I don't know about now since they were bought out.
    Any other suppliers you can call ? Ellis is in Wisconsin and I think they allow you to pick up there. Give them a call and ask about dealers near you. I didn't have any supplier say there's a charge for shipping . Local guy 30 miles away said he would deliver free.

I'm in northern VA, Reston to be precise (outside of DC). That's a good idea - calling Ellis. I have an account with Airgas, it's $3080 as listed. Don't know about shipping. I would be at $2500 shipped on the mitre Jet. A good deal on an Eliis with free shipping could be a no brainer. I'll spend my credit on other stuff that I don't need LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I'd wait and watch.

Given the choice between a new chinese cheap-o and a new Ellis, I went with the Ellis simply because the quality is there right out of the box and I don't have to worry about tweaking things. Just make sure none of the bolts have loosened during shipping.

Of course, it was only after I bought the new Ellis that I started seeing dozens of used Ellis and Wellsaw bandsaws on CL, FB and elsewhere. If I'd have waited a month or three, I could have picked on up for a third of what I paid.

I'm happy, though, because the Ellis is very good at cutting and there's nothing that I have to tinker with every other sunday! With the cheap saws, you're always wondering what'll go wrong.
    Space stealer for bundles and large.
    Makita 1230.
    Anything else can be done with a 7-9 inch grinder and a dude with half a brain

Its funny, perspective is everything. In the machinists world, the Ellis is considered junk, in the Fab world it's a Gem. After years of floundering and using only a Milwaukee band saw, I bought the Ellis 1600. I had personal experience with the Ellis 1600 and really liked it. I'm a serious hobbyist I suppose. I do plenty of welding and fab work on the job, but don't necessarily fabricate at home for a living. I do a lot of prototyping for items I design at home for my industry. My issue which certainly doesn't apply to everyone here is that I have a number of self imposed constraints. I have a small dedicated garage for my work, so space is a consideration. I love American tools and have no issue spending many times over the price of Chineseium as long as I can justify the expense, do to superior quality and longevity. I like machinists precision from the get go, I'm not satisfied with close enough. Coolant is a plus and a potential minus. I wanted a saw that was as close to a do everything saw as I could get.
    All the constraints I stated don't necessarily point to one saw, in fact there are conflicts.
    I had whittled my choices down to two saws, the Ellis 1600 and the Baliegh BS-210M. Baleigh has a showroom in Southern California, so after many calls to their tech peopel, I decided to make the 80 mile trip out to their showroom. I was told by one of their sales guys that I could make an actual cut on the machine. This machine checked most of my my desired points, it has on the fly variable speed, coolant, and very tight compact footprint that stands at working height. The major drawback for me is that it was not made in USA and that the blade height is 3/4" vs. 1" on the Ellis. Anyway I get out there and walk into the showroom and meet up with a sales guy. I check out the machine, and aside from a few small casting flaws, looks pretty nice. I ask the sales guy if he can plug the machine in so I can make a cut. He states, nope, then he'd have to clean the machine. I'm now seriously annoyed, and explain to him that I was told that I could make a cut. He says sorry, the machine would not be new if I used it. I ask him are these display units for sale? He says no, I'm thinking, if this is the kind of service i'm getting now, what happens if I buy this thing. I ask about parts availability, and he says we should be able to get parts when necessary.
    Long story short, that sealed the deal, and I bought the Ellis.
    Not nearly as compact a machine, working height is lower, which can be a good thing or bad depending on your space. Relatively portable, which is nice. Good cut quality and American manufacturing with very good parts availability. One issue I've had with Ellis is that they won't sell you anything from the factory. I get it, they want to support their dealer network. I needed some small parts in a rush, which honestly was a no profit waste of time for my dealer to order. Other than that, it's a solid saw that you can hand down to the next generation.

''One issue I've had with Ellis is that they won't sell you anything from the factory ''

I think it depends who you talk too. I'm not far from them at all, few hours. They would have sold me my 1600 no problems at factory. I got a better deal from Mississippi Welding thanks to MJD here.

As Bob says it's all in who you talk to. I have called them for parts and always mentioned the local LWS and haven't had an issue getting parts. Most parts on an Ellis saw are off the shelf components that you typically can get thru McMaster Carr or other sources.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Guys, I'd love to know the name of the contact that will sell me parts direct. You can PM me if you don't want to plaster their name on the net. I designed a simple part that allows you to cut up to 70 degrees on one side of the Ellis. It has it's limitations but is extremely handy for what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by camfab View Post
    Its funny, perspective is everything. In the machinists world, the Ellis is considered junk, in the Fab world it's a Gem. After years of floundering and using only a Milwaukee band saw, I bought the Ellis 1600. I had personal experience with the Ellis 1600 and really liked it. I'm a serious hobbyist I suppose. I do plenty of welding and fab work on the job, but don't necessarily fabricate at home for a living. I do a lot of prototyping for items I design at home for my industry. My issue which certainly doesn't apply to everyone here is that I have a number of self imposed constraints. I have a small dedicated garage for my work, so space is a consideration. I love American tools and have no issue spending many times over the price of Chineseium as long as I can justify the expense, do to superior quality and longevity. I like machinists precision from the get go, I'm not satisfied with close enough. Coolant is a plus and a potential minus. I wanted a saw that was as close to a do everything saw as I could get.
    All the constraints I stated don't necessarily point to one saw, in fact there are conflicts.
    I had whittled my choices down to two saws, the Ellis 1600 and the Baliegh BS-210M. Baleigh has a showroom in Southern California, so after many calls to their tech peopel, I decided to make the 80 mile trip out to their showroom. I was told by one of their sales guys that I could make an actual cut on the machine. This machine checked most of my my desired points, it has on the fly variable speed, coolant, and very tight compact footprint that stands at working height. The major drawback for me is that it was not made in USA and that the blade height is 3/4" vs. 1" on the Ellis. Anyway I get out there and walk into the showroom and meet up with a sales guy. I check out the machine, and aside from a few small casting flaws, looks pretty nice. I ask the sales guy if he can plug the machine in so I can make a cut. He states, nope, then he'd have to clean the machine. I'm now seriously annoyed, and explain to him that I was told that I could make a cut. He says sorry, the machine would not be new if I used it. I ask him are these display units for sale? He says no, I'm thinking, if this is the kind of service i'm getting now, what happens if I buy this thing. I ask about parts availability, and he says we should be able to get parts when necessary.
    Long story short, that sealed the deal, and I bought the Ellis.
    Not nearly as compact a machine, working height is lower, which can be a good thing or bad depending on your space. Relatively portable, which is nice. Good cut quality and American manufacturing with very good parts availability. One issue I've had with Ellis is that they won't sell you anything from the factory. I get it, they want to support their dealer network. I needed some small parts in a rush, which honestly was a no profit waste of time for my dealer to order. Other than that, it's a solid saw that you can hand down to the next generation.
    Well, Baleigh just re-sells import junk with their paint on it. So there's that. I have to say, I have a large Jet 1018 horizontal that I purchased used and it has been a beast. I've made thousands of cuts with it and it probably cut multiples of that before I got it. No complaints. I have a few friends will Ellis saws and they are a good saw for the money.

IMO, it's worth checking out some of the HEM/Femi saws. Would be good all around for a shop if you're not cutting giant tubing/solids.

https://www.trick-tools.com/Femi-NG1...g-Bandsaw-6366
    Last edited by kazlx; 05-21-2019 at 07:46 PM.

hmm This Harbor freight Bandsaw has been going strong for 34 years... and its only lived inside occasionally, still has original motor even, gotta admit I have considered replacing the motor a few times ... no not cause it has any problems simply cause everytime I read a thread about how unreliable they are I think I oughta replace it.. thing is it just keeps on working so I keep putting it off, don't remember where the base came from but it was only going to be temporary till I built a better stand for it... (yea 30_
    + years might qualify as procrastinating) thing is like the saws motor it just keeps working.. now I have ran Starrett or Olson blades pretty much exclusivly and I do dribble oli on the left guide so the band carries it into the cut.... for 34 years I've planed to replace alota things bout this saw problem is its used pretty much every single day and usually cutting up 2x2x1/4" tube or 4x4x1/2 tube and I just haven't found the time when I could shut it down for a day to "fix" all of its shortcommings so it just keeps cutting... I did have a new cover made for it last year though. I still have the plastic belt/pully cover back then they were triangle shaped, its lids plastic hinges broke a few years ago so I took it off... was a careless helper who cought it while removing the cover it lives under...

Name:  IMG_20190630_094706733_HDR.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  91.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190630_094723975_HDR.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190630_094716271_HDR.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  102.5 KB

But... its just a cheap c@ppy harbor freight saw.... maybe I oughta find me a good USA made one sometime, thing is this thing cuts perfectly square and well it just keeps working day after day... ya know what I'll replace it with a more reliable saw.... bout when I get that stand build

You think you're the greatest fitup dood on the planet when you get something within 1/8" of a sizeable distance.

Then you switch from a chop saw to a bandsaw, and you think you're the best fitup dood in the UNIVERSE.

Then you put something on the mill, or lathe, and you hang yer head, and go to the club house

It's all relative

Got to feeling guilty so..... Guess now I gotta drive up to Phoenix and get that Ellis saw thats been on CL for a month tempting me.... well maybe wait until after I'm done building the base..

Name:  IMG_20190706_152735972.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  96.1 KB

maybe after I've added the chip tray and oil tank, I do have a cylender sitting on the parts shelf maybe setup that Hydraulic downfeed THEN I'll drive up to Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    hmm This Harbor freight Bandsaw has been going strong for 34 years... and its only lived inside occasionally, still has original motor even, gotta admit I have considered replacing the motor a few times ... no not cause it has any problems simply cause everytime I read a thread about how unreliable they are I think I oughta replace it.. thing is it just keeps on working so I keep putting it off, don't remember where the base came from but it was only going to be temporary till I built a better stand for it... (yea 30_
    + years might qualify as procrastinating) thing is like the saws motor it just keeps working.. now I have ran Starrett or Olson blades pretty much exclusivly and I do dribble oli on the left guide so the band carries it into the cut.... for 34 years I've planed to replace alota things bout this saw problem is its used pretty much every single day and usually cutting up 2x2x1/4" tube or 4x4x1/2 tube and I just haven't found the time when I could shut it down for a day to "fix" all of its shortcommings so it just keeps cutting... I did have a new cover made for it last year though. I still have the plastic belt/pully cover back then they were triangle shaped, its lids plastic hinges broke a few years ago so I took it off... was a careless helper who cought it while removing the cover it lives under...

Name:  IMG_20190630_094706733_HDR.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  91.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190630_094723975_HDR.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190630_094716271_HDR.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  102.5 KB

But... its just a cheap c@ppy harbor freight saw.... maybe I oughta find me a good USA made one sometime, thing is this thing cuts perfectly square and well it just keeps working day after day... ya know what I'll replace it with a more reliable saw.... bout when I get that stand build
    Big thing...…………….yours was made on the island, not mainland China. Better stuff.

farmersammm, I know... was just pointing out not everything that wasn't made in USA is junk, back when I bought that saw it was a stop gap measure as chop saw wouldn't cut straight to save my life literally I was building a roll cage for my 71 Blazer (still have it too but... unlike the saw very little is still original on the truck) the worst complaint any of those who have used it over the last 30 years has been against the stand mostly that its too low (I'm 6'3" and most of my guys working in the truck shop are all over 6' as well) so... finally got the stand built, raising it up to 36" and the base will have two 12" wheels setup so can drop solid to floor raised to move it, going with spoked solid rubber 12" wheels as we sometimes load it into Shop trailer or truck bed.. easier rolling up/down ramps still undecided bout putting castors on opposite end or just feet... other biggest complaint has always been the spring/counter balance so maybe will convert to hydrailic.. the saw itself has never had any issues when blades get dull they start jumping off but they gotta be in pretty sad shape for that to start happening,

and the table is prone to rusting if ya leave a glass of water in the same room so we keep it oiled.. in the meantime that stop gap to get a project finished is still cranking away... it does help if ya take the time to keep your tools clean, ya'll never see old metal saw dust build up on any of my saws as they get blown out after every use before being put away, blades are always inspected and dull or damaged ones get swapped rather than let em put an excessive drag on the machine or accelerated wear as the machine tries to function with a dull or misaligned blade, soft bolts or nuts always get swapped out for high quality grade 5 or better (usually either grade 8 or stainless) as soft poor quality bolts result in components getting misaligned etc..

took a vote... feet won over castors, offset the wheels to the forward to make easier going up/down loading ramps next up the three minions expressed a desire to see a hydraulic downfeed over oiler... for the last 30 years the technique has been on thin vertical stuff to have someone stand there and act as a human downfeed... current oiler consists of a handheld oil can and a human occasionally dribbles oil on the upper roller... its hard to find good minions these days who can just do a task and not whine...

while all 4 of us like the idea of that big ellis as a shop saw most of our stuff isn't done inside the shop and the lil petit asian is just a slick operator that complains less than the minions usin her... at least they all appreciate her enough to always take the time to blow the dust of her and occasionally inject some lube into her joints etc...

Name:  IMG_20190709_134438272_HDR.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  111.6 KB

my conscience is now clear, we'll see how soon that downfeed gets done onea the guys was already eyeballin the stack of 14 gauge sheet thinking bout bending up a drip tray to fit under whole saw.. so maybe I got the fuse lit... can go back to lettin the younger generation do the rest...
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 07-09-2019 at 07:09 PM.