Klutch horizontal vertical bandsaw
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Klutch horizontal vertical bandsaw

Anyone have any luck with this saw ? Thinking about upgrading the abraisive chop saw cheaply thanks

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...9143_200659143

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Klutch horizontal vertical bandsaw

My recommendation would be to skip this 4x6 style saw and just buy a Port-a-band.
    ( HF one is a good buy for a portaband.)

They're a pain to set up for mitre cuts.- the 4x6.

If you're set on a 4x6 then just buy the HF one.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I disagree, if you buy a cheapy Chinese tool, it will perform like a cheapy Chinese tool. I have an older Enco Horizontal bandsaw that I used for many years, I would consider it a mid-grade saw. It was useable, but never great. I have a antique power hack saw for thick steel, I also have a cordless Dewalt metal circular saw for thinner stock that is excellent. If I needed another saw I would search for a used, good quality Horiz.bandsaw or power hack saw.

The Klutch probably comes from a factory on the other side of the road that the HF saw comes from Or maybe out of another door at the HF manufacturer.

For general fabrication...……..I'd stick with an abrasive saw, or cold saw. Faster, and easier to set up.

I have the little HF bandsaw, and it's ok. Cuts pretty doggone accurate once it's tweaked. BUT...…..only reason I bought it, is to cut stuff that has to be machined. A bandsaw won't surface harden the metal, which messes with your cutters(HSS) once you start to machine the material.

So, to some extent...actually a large extent, it's a specialty tool for me. I don't use it on a daily basis. This makes it an expensive addition to the shop in terms of hours used. A chop saw is my go-to when cutting pieces for anything to be welded.

Big caveat here. I don't work with aluminum. If I worked with aluminum, it might be a different story, dunno.

Name:  lathe202.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  116.6 KB That isn't bad for a HF saw. Tweak the guides, and it'll cut pretty good.

I'd wait and watch.

Given the choice between a new chinese cheap-o and a new Ellis, I went with the Ellis simply because the quality is there right out of the box and I don't have to worry about tweaking things. Just make sure none of the bolts have loosened during shipping.

Of course, it was only after I bought the new Ellis that I started seeing dozens of used Ellis and Wellsaw bandsaws on CL, FB and elsewhere. If I'd have waited a month or three, I could have picked on up for a third of what I paid.

I'm happy, though, because the Ellis is very good at cutting and there's nothing that I have to tinker with every other sunday! With the cheap saws, you're always wondering what'll go wrong.

I’ve got one of those Jet saws that looks IDENTICAL to the Klutch from OP’s link. I would NOT buy it again. Sloppy and can’t make it cut square for the life of me. The guides are not long enough so even when fully extended, the blade will get out of square. The plate for vertical cutting is flimsy sheet metal, so I replaced the plate with a thicker one, and now use the saw exclusively in the vertical position.

Piece if trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water cooled torch
    Optrel Crystal 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    My recommendation would be to skip this 4x6 style saw and just buy a Port-a-band.
    ( HF one is a good buy for a portaband.)

They're a pain to set up for mitre cuts.- the 4x6.

If you're set on a 4x6 then just buy the HF one.
    I actually have a DeWalt portaband for straight cuts but it's kind of a pain on 45s with square tube.

The Klutch 4x6 is virtually identical to the Harbor Freight 4x6 saw. With the right coupon you can get the Harbor Freight saw for $200 ( I did this a few years back). The HF saw I have has been fantastic. I do like Ed's advice to get a portaband as well. With the right coupons you can both the portaband and the 4x6 horizontal/vertical for the price of the Klutch saw. That's is what I would do. I have both saws and they work flawlessly.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The Klutch probably comes from a factory on the other side of the road that the HF saw comes from Or maybe out of another door at the HF manufacturer.

For general fabrication...……..I'd stick with an abrasive saw, or cold saw. Faster, and easier to set up.

I have the little HF bandsaw, and it's ok. Cuts pretty doggone accurate once it's tweaked. BUT...…..only reason I bought it, is to cut stuff that has to be machined. A bandsaw won't surface harden the metal, which messes with your cutters(HSS) once you start to machine the material.

So, to some extent...actually a large extent, it's a specialty tool for me. I don't use it on a daily basis. This makes it an expensive addition to the shop in terms of hours used. A chop saw is my go-to when cutting pieces for anything to be welded.

Big caveat here. I don't work with aluminum. If I worked with aluminum, it might be a different story, dunno.

Name:  lathe202.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  116.6 KB That isn't bad for a HF saw. Tweak the guides, and it'll cut pretty good.
    I agree the klutch hf and wen all look like the same factory lol. Another reason I want to get away from the chop saw is noise. I work mostly before everyone wakes up or after everyone's asleep. So you have the bench top hf horizontal band saw? I was looking at that also

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I'd wait and watch.

Given the choice between a new chinese cheap-o and a new Ellis, I went with the Ellis simply because the quality is there right out of the box and I don't have to worry about tweaking things. Just make sure none of the bolts have loosened during shipping.

Of course, it was only after I bought the new Ellis that I started seeing dozens of used Ellis and Wellsaw bandsaws on CL, FB and elsewhere. If I'd have waited a month or three, I could have picked on up for a third of what I paid.

I'm happy, though, because the Ellis is very good at cutting and there's nothing that I have to tinker with every other sunday! With the cheap saws, you're always wondering what'll go wrong.
    Yeah I will definitely keep an eye out for something like that

I have an older ENCO that I bought used, I've had it since about 1978, and it's still going strong. I put some SLICK 50 #2 GREASE in the little gear box with just a little gear oil to thin it a little, keep an eye on the grease and keep going. I had decided to sell it because I had problems with bad cuts, especially with high speed blades, I went to variable pitch bi-metal blades blades, and did a tune up on the saw, now, even with a a damaged blade it cuts square. If you do a little research you'll find info on tuning the saw. There are probably a hundred different brands of these saws that are almost identical. FYI. I run a 10/14 tpi IMACHINIST branded blade from AMAZON almost exclusively.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 03-31-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I have the big brother the 7x12. Cuts great, even with the stock blade. Using water-soluble coolant helps it of course. Needs tweaking? Yup, but once tweaked, it cuts nice and square.

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Timely question for me as I am back in the market after making a wrong decision.

Can I piggy back on this thread? How about the mid-sized Jets like this one? - comments please

https://www.trick-tools.com/JET-HVBD...l-Bandsaw-9806

HF sells a very similar saw for about 800 bucks IIRC. I think they're all made in the same chinese factory and change the brand each day, HF on Monday, Jet on Tuesday etc., etc.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

As VaughnT stated about the ELLIS . I have a HF 4x6 for 12 years now and just replaced the motor on it. Still cuts fine but all of them are slow.
    I too bought a ELLIS 1600 new because I couldn't find any within 300 miles. The Ellis is a great saw but might be expensive for some. I bought mine from a welding supplier that a member here told me about. I called them , got price, and then asked how much for CASH . Got a better deal and went to pickup. While I was putting down those nice crisp $100 bills , I convinced him to toss in a extra blade too. CASH does the talking !!
    This is about the lowest I've seen them . https://www.trick-tools.com/Ellis_16..._1600_ELL_2163
    What's your location ???

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    As VaughnT stated about the ELLIS . I have a HF 4x6 for 12 years now and just replaced the motor on it. Still cuts fine but all of them are slow.
    I too bought a ELLIS 1600 new because I couldn't find any within 300 miles. The Ellis is a great saw but might be expensive for some. I bought mine from a welding supplier that a member here told me about. I called them , got price, and then asked how much for CASH . Got a better deal and went to pickup. While I was putting down those nice crisp $100 bills , I convinced him to toss in a extra blade too. CASH does the talking !!
    This is about the lowest I've seen them . https://www.trick-tools.com/Ellis_16..._1600_ELL_2163
    What's your location ???
    Thanks BD1

I am working with Trick Tools right now. Trying to return a saw I bought from them based on their recommendation, that I am extremely disappointed with. We'll see how they stand behind their multiple quality guarantees. I looked at the Ellis and would love one, but I just can't justify the $3K. $2500 is pretty much my all-in ceiling. We'll see...

Again thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Mike View Post
    Thanks BD1

I am working with Trick Tools right now. Trying to return a saw I bought from them based on their recommendation, that I am extremely disappointed with. We'll see how they stand behind their multiple quality guarantees. I looked at the Ellis and would love one, but I just can't justify the $3K. $2500 is pretty much my all-in ceiling. We'll see...

Again thanks,
    Mike
    I understand 100%. When I was considering the Ellis it was $2500.00 a few years ago.
    They have been as high as $3300.00.
    A quality product doesn't have to lower it's price, people will still buy.
    Check this post out.
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...iew-Ellis-1600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    What's your location ???
    I was looking at that same deal a few days ago and almost pulled the trigger. I really want the dual mitering capabilities of the Ellis.

The lip or edges of the main wheels on my old Wellsaw started to come off last weekend right in the middle of cutting some of my tanks. The replacement wheels cost $500 or so a set.
    If I didnt owe a good chunk of money on my taxes I probably would have bought the Ellis so I had to get new wheels.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Hey......was thinkin' about y'all the other day when I was stuck in the shop. (Yeah, I'm that kinda doood, always thinkin' about others ahead of myself )

Back to reality...…..

Granted, the cheapo saws involve The Art of the Smoogie.

Get that sucker all set up. Tune your guides, AND THEN YA MOVE IT.

These things don't have heavy castings, and are subject to warp/twist. So if it isn't livin' in the place you put it...…...it's gonna change.

But, it's no problemo. Just gotta Smoogie.

Check the bed.

Name:  lathe setup123.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  193.0 KB

If ya need to get it back in the groove...…

Name:  lathe setup121.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  lathe setup122.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  232.1 KB

Uranus Inc...……….makin' designer purses outta pigs ears...……..always some sorta stuff goin' on here at the compound Name:  experimental layer copy.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  25.7 KB

BTW

Move the blade in an arc against the square. It should touch the square through the entire swing. If it doesn't, it needs some tweakin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Mike View Post
    Thanks BD1, Mike
    A 5-minute look-see through CL turned up this little gem not too far from Richmond, VA. She's old, but the bones look great and I'm sure there's some life left in her. No doubt that it'd be better than a new Jet or other chinese gadget that'll set you back the same money.

https://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/...855609724.html

On the FB marketplace thing, I found an oldie in Culpeper, VA for only two bills. Looks well-used, but nothing you couldn't bring back to life, and no more expensive a buy-in than a Jet or similar. Plus, it's clearly labeled as a "dry cut" which is my preferred design.

Whatever you decide, be sure to get yourself one of those awesome BD1 Bandsaw Clamps. They are far too handy to not have around the shop!

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/592...bandsaw-clamp/

VaughnT ,THANKS but not required. I'm glad that bandsaw clamp is working out for you and others. That's what these forums are about, helping others to work , play safe , and be effective.
    That stamping made be laugh again.

And for me it's a Jet. I have a sizable credit at one of my new favorite tool suppliers and I want to use it in one fell swoop. This will be my only Asian tool and I have little confidence I will be satisfied, let alone impressed. I am going in eyes open though. I simply can't justify spending $3K or more on a 'good' brand. If I didn't need/want to use up that credit I would be all over the used marketplace for an older quality American machine in good or better condition.

If anyone cares to comment, here are the two Jets I am considering. I like the mitre head but at a $700+ premium (factoring in shipping), I don't know if it's worth it. Comments appreciated

JET HVBS-712D - 414560 $1,599.00
    JET HVBS 710S - 413451 $2,299.00

https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/hvb...bandsaw/414560

https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/hvb...bandsaw/413451

Since it is not my money I would go for the mitering head. How much room do you have in your shop to swing decent length pieces of stock? What length or size material do you expect to work with?

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Stock is going to stick out mitre head or not, the swing makes no difference to me. If I get in a bind I will just rotate the whole saw and base (400 lbs on a wheeled cart). I like the mitre head too. Holding the work square and moving the cutting tool just seems better to me. Those little vises just seem to be under-spec, but what do I know... I envision a good amount of work being with 6 foot lengths or less, maybe 8 on the very odd occasion depending on availability/format of the raw materials. Lots of short things too and the vertical capability is a must. $700 is a decent used saw. That makes it hard to go with in addition to blowing my 'planned' budget ceiling. But, I don't want ANY regrets down the road.