Bought a refurbished LN-25, did I get screwed?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unboxed this unit to find there are no pre/postflow knobs, and no voltage knob. The seller is trying to tell me that this is a factory configuration, and that those are add-ons. Before I escalate things, I want to make sure that this unit is actually going to be functional and that he isn't blowing smoke up my ***.
    ═══════════════════════════════════════════

Re: Bought a refurbished LN-25, did I get screwed?

seller is right

Seller is 100% correct.
    The LN25 is a voltage sensing wire feeder. There is no reason to have any of that stuff on it.
    It should have a gas purge button on the back and a cold inch button along with. Cc/cv switch inside the cover.
    That’s all it needs.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

What if I'm running dualshield? Does it know to switch the gas solenoid?

If you have a gas solenoid it is always working. Hook up shielding gas of your choice.

Sounds like you should have done more research prior to buying it.
    Hook it up and start welding.
    Jason
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

lincoln and miller feeders are sold in the same way - in basic spec unless you order it with extras like voltage control, pre/post-flow, spot timer etc. Most of the newer ones come in two levels of spec as standard.

Mine only has wire speed control, non of the other stuff. But you'll never run a sweeter wire feed machine IMHO. Very smooth, and reliable.

Any of you guys remember these? Talk about a basic wire feeder!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I have two of those ln22’s use to use them all the time light weight easy to carry

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Fab View Post
    Unboxed this unit to find there are no pre/postflow knobs, and no voltage knob. The seller is trying to tell me that this is a factory configuration, and that those are add-ons. Before I escalate things, I want to make sure that this unit is actually going to be functional and that he isn't blowing smoke up my ***.
    What if I'm running dualshield? Does it know to switch the gas solenoid?
    i hope this is an april fools joke.

if you dont know these things already an ln-25 is way out of your league.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

what kind a machine/power source you figure on hookin this thing up to?

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    what kind a machine/power source you figure on hookin this thing up to?
    It's connected to a Trailblazer.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    If you have a gas solenoid it is always working. Hook up shielding gas of your choice.

Any way to shut it off if running straight FCAW?

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    i hope this is an april fools joke.

if you dont know these things already an ln-25 is way out of your league.
    Alright gatekeeper.

gatekeeper?

i honestly hoped it was an april fools joke. and even gave you the best advise you'll get in another of the 4 threads you started. i open doors for everyone i can. But, your ignorance is your worst enemy.

i hate your type, possibly going to 'escalate things' because your too ignorant to know what you purchased.

you have a trailblazer and an ln-25. more money than brains. and obviously haven't earned it.

welding has never had a gatekeeper, the work speaks for itself, and thats the beauty of it. hopefully you pull your head out of your colon and maybe show what 'q-fab' can fab.

gotta ask. how old are you?
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Yeah, I'll admit ignorance. That is why I went to several sources for information beforehand:
    2 fabricator friends
    LWS
    Here

Nowhere did anyone mention that these are built with the same faceplates but missing the knobs/guts. So when I buy something off a stranger on the internet with something that looks that out of place, Im going to assume that there perhaps is something sketchy afoot.

Obviously, I decided to so further research and educate myself before doing something drastic, and concluded that yes, I was indeed in the wrong. In the line of work I've suffered bruises, burns, broken bones, and just plain blood-****ting stress, so spare me that 'didn't earn it' cliche. I'm turning 30. I've been cultivating my operation for 4 years. Now I'm to a point where I'm getting buried with work, and I need any edge I can get to keep up. So if I seem ignorant, it's because I probably am. But I'm doing my best to figure it out as I go. For what it's worth, I value your input and think you make a lot of excellent posts. By the way, it was only 3 threads I made regarding the suitcase/fcaw topic .
    Last edited by Q-Fab; 04-04-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    you have a trailblazer and an ln-25. more money than brains. and obviously haven't earned it.
    bit friggin harsh, especially when the bloke is only asking sensible questions that he honestly didn't know the answer to!

We all learn somewhere. And why does it matter what gear he's running? Are you jealous because you're too tight to buy a nicer newer welder/feeder?

i dont even have a wire feeder so im jealous nor a machine to run one, but i dont run a business so kudos to you young man for taking things and learning as you go and creating an opportunity for yourself, im sure with all the great knowledge around here if you are humble you will find a wealth of information like i have, im just now moving from an ALL AC stick welder to an AC DC + DC- machine and learning about welding rod that i never knew i could use on my buzz box so as said above we have to learn somewhere and being ignorant is not a bad thing it just means we have more opportunity to learn and improve - if i could help i would but i dont even know how to spell LN-25 let alone what you could do with one if I had something to connect it to, heck for all i know maybe i could hook one to my idealarc but i am sure i would screw something up and cost myself more $$$
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    bit friggin harsh, especially when the bloke is only asking sensible questions that he honestly didn't know the answer to!

We all learn somewhere. And why does it matter what gear he's running? Are you jealous because you're too tight to buy a nicer newer welder/feeder?
    To be fair, neither of those things was bought new! Miller was an auction lot with ~900 hours on it, the LN-25 is a refurb. Looking more closely, I see the photo on the Lincoln site doesn't have knobs either! Guess my attention to detail is lacking. Anywho, I hope the thing works out. If it saves me 8 hours on the first job, it will have already paid for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by searcyfarms View Post
    i dont even have a wire feeder so im jealous nor a machine to run one, but i dont run a business so kudos to you young man for taking things and learning as you go and creating an opportunity for yourself, im sure with all the great knowledge around here if you are humble you will find a wealth of information like i have, im just now moving from an ALL AC stick welder to an AC DC + DC- machine and learning about welding rod that i never knew i could use on my buzz box so as said above we have to learn somewhere and being ignorant is not a bad thing it just means we have more opportunity to learn and improve - if i could help i would but i dont even know how to spell LN-25 let alone what you could do with one if I had something to connect it to, heck for all i know maybe i could hook one to my idealarc but i am sure i would screw something up and cost myself more $$$
    Thank you! Welding is great! I learn something new about it every day. There is so much to know, and so much cool stuff you can build!

ur next surprise will be when you buy drive rolls for diff size wire. slightly over a hundred bucks for knurled, and lil less for smooth. its ok though, you bought the right feeder

Welding is great! I learn something new about it every day. There is so much to know, and so much cool stuff you can build!
    Yes, I agree!

My first welder I bought was a 3ph watercooled 250amp AC/DC TIG welder, probably still worth more than I paid for it... and I was a novice at the time!
    The Miller XMT304 and S64 feeder i have for MIG/MAG welding is wayyy overkill also for my needs (and hasn't struck an arc in a month), but again second hand, and I just love having over-specced gear

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    ur next surprise will be when you buy drive rolls for diff size wire. slightly over a hundred bucks for knurled, and lil less for smooth. its ok though, you bought the right feeder

I found some for ~$50

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Yes, I agree!

My first welder I bought was a 3ph watercooled 250amp AC/DC TIG welder, probably still worth more than I paid for it... and I was a novice at the time!
    The Miller XMT304 and S64 feeder i have for MIG/MAG welding is wayyy overkill also for my needs (and hasn't struck an arc in a month), but again second hand, and I just love having over-specced gear
    Wow! That is quite the setup!

That’s for solid wire. Smooth rollers. The knurled rollers for tubular wire are more expensive.
    Jason
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

When I bought knurled wheels for mine I found them on Ebay cheap. Like $25.

Someone's "new old stock."
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

i realize .068+ ones are everywhere used, but i just bought some .045 knurls for 112.00, that were on back order, nowhere at any distributors or ebay "used or new",as i searched everywhere, as i needed them, and had to wait till lincoln put them out. i was calling everyone every other day, and was probaably the first to get them off the latest shipment/assembly run. if anyone know where i can get new knurled rollers for much less than what im talkin please let me know
    Last edited by 123weld; 04-05-2019 at 01:26 PM.