Teaching myself
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Teaching myself

Teaching myself

Hello everyone, Im 24 and just decided to start welding about 3 months ago. I've done a lot of steel framing and iron work, but there isn't a lot of structural work in my area. So I decided rather than make laborer pay for the rest of my life I am going to at the very least get certified for 4g stick and carry some value with me.

I bought a AC 225 Tombstone/Buzz box about 2 months ago now. I spend at least 8 hours a day 5 days a week welding and watching instructional s on you tube.
    I have come so far, at first I couldn't even strike or maintain an arc now I dont even think about it. My flat welds have become almost sub conscious. A friend of mine is a certified structural welder and he has been giving me pointers as well as criticism on the finished welds.

Im really confident I could pass the 1g flat test, I have now started padding beads horizontal to prepare for the 2g.

Im a little concerned about only using the AC box I will have to use dc when I do the test. Will it be much different? Easier? Harder?

Thanks!

Re: Teaching myself

Welcome!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

If you're on AC ( as you should be) get one of your buddies to explain arc blow on 7018 uphand, into a corner, on DC.
    You oughta have it whipped by now eh ?
    You'll find the DC sleepy simple 80% of the time(much easier than your AC practicing) but you'll KNOW when it's time to flip back to AC.
    I run stick maybe an hour/2 a week, generally on AC( buzzer) or if outside with my lil 180 DC inverter it'll throw 7018 like glass

Welcome from GA , your going about learning the best way with a experienced welder to guide you and show things that would take years if ever to learn in a weld school ! When the budget allows find yourself a nice used thunderbolt or something equivalent to that and start learning to weld with different rods and welding out of position , this will get you ready for the plate test .

Thanks for the welcome

Bonzoo-
    Yeah I run AC all the time and ive learned a bit about the arc blow with magnetic fields or whatever. My Buzz box only runs AC.
    My friend seems to think the same that if anything DC will be smoother for me.

Paul-
    Thanks man, I hope so i wanted to attend the local college but its just not in the cards for me right now. Im hoping I can at least put myself in a position to make some money and learn at the same time within a few months. I have been trying to mix it up quiet a bit lately ( friends orders as well) Welding with my left hand one hand overhead vertical. And to be honest the hardest one for me so far is 7018 vertical up. I wont have the funds for a DC machine right now but Im going to try to at least borrow one before the test to get adjusted.

Update- I took my first weld test for an industrial mining fan company yesterday and I was hired in less than an hour! I start monday

I was so nervous about it all but it all worked out. And my hard work really paid off.

I'd like to thank everyone here, although I haven't posted a lot I've read for countless hours!

My goal is to keep learning and improving. Thank you for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTig408 View Post
    Im hoping I can at least put myself in a position to make some money and learn at the same time within a few months. I have been trying to mix it up quiet a bit lately ( friends orders as well) Welding with my left hand one hand overhead vertical. And to be honest the hardest one for me so far is 7018 vertical up.
    It looks like you got your foot in the door, congratulations! Uphill with 7018 is tough for (almost) everybody, especially at first.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny