Rusty cracked chassis on '83 toyota pickup - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Rusty cracked chassis on '83 toyota pickup

I took off the bed and gas tank and started patching the worst looking places with scrap metal from the shop at school. I'm not sure if it was the machine I was using or because the chassis metal was so dang rusted through but I had to set it to about 125 to hold an arc with 1/8" 6010s and 135 or so for the 7018s. In order to avoid blowing out the base metal I had to go almost straight into the edge of the patch material on the first bead, but was then able to build it up with the 7018's. I'm not gonna lie, its a complete hack job. It really looks like crap. Besides using scrap metal covered in practice beads for patches, there were some places where I could hardly get my slag hammer, let alone a grinder, which means I had to blow through a lot of rust too. I wouldn't exactly call it "repaired" but I think its going to hold until I can find a donor pickup. Its been raining for 24 hours so I've only taken one "after" photo so far. The photo is of the only decent looking spot, naturally. I'll take more pictures of the mayhem when it clears up. I have a few weeks to test drive before heading to FL. I appreciate all your advice and criticism, especially people who have been encouraging. You know, I know I'm an amateur but the way I see it, if its not heat treated steel and its a little 4 cylinder truck that doesn't have to move any weight, and it really only needs to last another year considering how bad the rust is, then there's just no need to give it the same treatment as you would a professional repair on a dump truck or something. I mean this thing is basically a radio flyer wagon with an engine in it.
    Name:  after.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  144.0 KB
    Name:  jacob welding on truck.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  193.9 KB

I think it's a crime to make a pickup with a tube frame. But I guess it's almost impossible to find one that's made with channel these days.

Quote Originally Posted by j.mauer View Post
    Ok, VERY good to know.

Probably but I've only been here for 6 months so I don't know them personally. And I'm broke after buying the dang truck. But, if its not heat treated then I don't see what's way over my head? In class I'm doing 1/8" gap roots with 6010s, is there a reason I can't patch this thing up the same way? At least for a hotfix to make sure it gets me to FL I mean.

Are you from Rio? Live in FL? I'll be in the Gainesville area though not south FL. Didn't I already tell you my dad is drag car guy?
    Nah. I'm a Tico/gringo but moving to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks because wifey need medicare....and so do I, really.
    If the ol man is a car guy this little tail frame should be a non issue. Snatch the bed, cut under the cab and start over. Put a little flat bed on the thing with stake sides as needed. More practical.

OOOPS. Just read the last post. You'll be OK

If the weld breaks, the paint will hold it together.

good job kid.

extra points for the stick welder.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.