Tig torch connection help needed
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tig torch connection help needed

Hi, I have a miller 304 xmt, a diamondback tig torch, a t-block, and what I think is a dinse adapter.

The 304 has no internal gas solenoid. The torch has a male gas connector.

My question is, how do I connect this torch to the welder ?

pics:

Name:  IMG_4909.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4906.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  84.3 KB

Re: Tig torch connection help needed

That big lug goes on the TIG rig hose. Then you connect a stick rod electrode holder in your lead, and clamp that to the lug. You need a welding lead.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    That big lug goes on the TIG rig hose. Then you connect a stick rod electrode holder in your lead, and clamp that to the lug. You need a welding lead.
    Thanks, I was hoping for a more elegant solution. Lol. I figured there was some kind of adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by k99 View Post
    Thanks, I was hoping for a more elegant solution. Lol. I figured there was some kind of adapter.
    Thanks, I just got a wye gas mixer, it's not a real wye but a y. I'm going to try mixing helium and argon.

Thought I only had one flow meter and was going to use a dial gauge for helium but this thread reminded me of my old tig rig. I have two working flow meters. Whoopee. I also just got one of them cheapo at the torch flow meters but I still don't know the math recipe for mixing.

Oh back to the tig rig. First pic shows how did it without stick stinger. A good work clamp would work better than stinger imo. Just don't confuse them tho

EDIT: do you use center of mark on flow gauge or top or bottom? I will stick with center because I can easily forget if I used top,or bottom from the beginning???

Center and forget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You don't have to use a weld lead to connect the torch. Just adapt torch straight to the 50mm dinse. The other way is used because you need length usually to get to the work. If the torch is long enough for what you want then adapting it straight in is way to go or if you didn't have stick leads or plan to stick.

Use this and that brass block you have can be used for a gas line coupler or buy one of those and torch will plug straight in and regulator ties into Dinse adapter. Save a lot of gas getting a solenoid installed in the machine for gas control if tig welding often with just using torch length cable.

https://store.cyberweld.com/dintorad.html
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-13-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    You don't have to use a weld lead to connect the torch. Just adapt torch straight to the 50mm dinse. The other way is used because you need length usually to get to the work. If the torch is long enough for what you want then adapting it straight in is way to go or if you didn't have stick leads or plan to stick.

Use this and that brass block you have can be used for a gas line coupler or buy one of those and torch will plug straight in and regulator ties into Dinse adapter. Save a lot of gas getting a solenoid installed in the machine for gas control if tig welding often with just using torch length cable.

https://store.cyberweld.com/dintorad.html
    Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I just wasn't sure about the insides. I'll order that and try it. Thanks.

Name:  90D72E4B-DDB6-47F1-91CB-DCA7A074A7AD.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  121.6 KB

Ok, I bought the adapter from cyberweld and it won’t fit the giant hose end of the torch. Any ideas ?

It’s a 26 torch. ?

Ok, I bought the adapter from cyberweld and it won’t fit the giant hose end of the torch. Any ideas ?

It’s a 26 torch. ?
    Sorry about that. Didn't realize you were powering up a 26 size. Didn't recognize it as being a 26. I should have asked. It did say 9 and 17 size in the description for that adapter.

Send it back that is only for the 9 and 17.

for the 26 you need this adapter,
    https://store.cyberweld.com/tigtopoadsod.html

You are going to need a female to female coupler to screw the two male ends together for the gas line too. The adapter was made to thread into your gas outlet on machine and without that and using torch valve you'll need to be able to couple that tail to you regulator hose Best to get simple brass coupler. I will see if I can find what you need.

This should be the correct line coupler.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-17-2019 at 11:25 PM.

It’s a 26 torch. ?

Give me a minute to take pics

Does your torch thread into gas block?

Here's a pic
    Last edited by Insaneride; 04-18-2019 at 12:29 AM.

I bought my wye gas mixer from cyber weld .

My lws helped make my swedge gas block for free but praxiair, bought them out.

As mentioned, a welding leed and crimped lug bolted to gas block is how I did. Think about how they do it using stick stinger to gas block. Btw, I used stainless bolt n nut for less galvanic reaction. Problem with using stick stinger is excessive heat

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Here's a pic
    Yes it would be easy also to buy 50mm dinse connector and wire, a lug and nut/bolt and power up that block but it will cost almost as much and you always have that ugly hot block hanging on the machine. It works I realize.

I think he wants to do it neatly with the proper parts I just accidently gave him the wrong link because I didn't realize he had a 26 torch.

Cyberweld where the wrong one came from does have the proper Miller part for the 26. Miller Part # 196-379.

Pretty sure he'll want to continue on and just swap it for the right one I just gave him the link to. https://store.cyberweld.com/tigtopoadsod.html And he needs Argon line coupler I posted link to also.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-18-2019 at 12:33 AM.

If you have a spare old stinger leed or work clamp that can be crimped with a a copper battery weld lug like in my pic is all you need. You have everything almost.

In my last pic, my lws used less than a foot leed. I would have gladly paid for twelve feet but they did it for free. I've had no problems but all you need is leed , dinse, lug, crimp and ss bolt to gas block/lug. Hope that makes sense

You are making perfect sense but I believe he said he doesn't have a stinger or dinse connector or any of it at all.
    The proper part is just such a much better looking setup but both would work wonderfully.

Yes it would be easy also to buy 50mm dinse connector and wire, a lug and nut/bolt and power up that block but it will cost almost as much and you always have that ugly hot block hanging on the machine. It works I realize.

I think he wants to do it neatly with the proper parts I just accidently gave him the wrong link because I didn't realize he had a 26 torch.

Cyberweld where the wrong one came from does have the proper Miller part for the 26. Miller Part # 196-379.

Pretty sure he'll want to continue on and just swap it for the right one I just gave him the link to. https://store.cyberweld.com/tigtopoadsod.html And he needs Argon line coupler I posted link to also.
    He said the 304 has no gas solenoid tho

I'm not familiar with his machine and I like your suggestion and need the same adapter you linked for my ahp but I would make the same mistake you suggested. Member mechanicmike can answer or supply the correct dinse but the op has gas block. All he needs is leed dines and lug plus ss stainless bolt n nut

He already talked about that way and I believe he understood the different ways it can be done but preferred the torch connect to the dinse connector as I would. If I was only using it for table welding or where the torch can reach it is much neater. The gas is no problem he knows he has to couple two make argon lines. $5 part and he still uses his torch valve for control.
    Just the good Miller 50 dinse for 4/0 is like $30 online.
    He can do it cheaper and easier with the torch adapter I want to believe. But maybe he will go that route. I would not. I like clean connections.

Ok, hope op gets to tig'n soon. I'm going to mix helium with argon now. Bye by

Oh , edit : I got this wye or y from cyberweld
    Last edited by Insaneride; 04-18-2019 at 01:43 AM. Reason: To mix He and Ar

I just took another look at his picture and seen he did already own the 50mm dinse to tweco adapter and has the tweco end to go in it. So yes he could do it cheaper by rigging it and he would just need wire, lug and bolt/nut. He could probably also just bolt the block directly to that tweco adapter.

But would still be a little jerry rigged compared to using the aircooled adapter with gas line input fitting. And it is all insulated and protected instead of big brass block that is hot when welding hanging in front of the machine.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-18-2019 at 09:13 PM.

His gas block will work as an argon line coupler. Torch to gas block and gas block to flow meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    His gas block will work as an argon line coupler. Torch to gas block and gas block to flow meter.
    Yes, of course it will. That is what the block does tie the gas to the torch and powers the torch usually by clamping your stick stinger to it or hard wiring it if you wanted.

But he wasn't planning on using that block and powering it instead he is getting the proper 50mm dinse adapter end to connect torch directly to the machine. https://store.cyberweld.com/tigtopoadsod.html

If you connect the torch to the machine with these adapters then you have two male argon lines that need to be coupled.

He then needs this coupler for the gas lines,
    https://www.brwtechnologies.com/West...ng_p/c-126.htm

His torch fitting with be threaded in the Dinse adapter so it isn't available any longer and the gas line coming out of the adapter that usually connects to your gas solenoid hence the reason it has male end. OP has no solenoid in his machine so he needs to connect that male argon gas line to the male argon gas line coming off the regulator.

What he would need the argon RH "B" female-female gas line coupler for is to couple the gas line from the 50mm Dinse to 26 torch adapter he was buying and connect it to the regulator line.
    Those are both the same male argon style thread so you need a coupler with female argon style thread on both sides.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-21-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Yes, of course it will. That is what the block does tie the gas to the torch and powers the torch usually by clamping your stick stinger to it or hard wiring it if you wanted.

But he wasn't planning on using that block and powering it instead he is getting the proper 50mm dinse adapter end to connect torch directly to the machine. https://store.cyberweld.com/tigtopoadsod.html

If you connect the torch to the machine with these adapters then you have two male argon lines that need to be coupled.

His torch fitting with be threaded in the Dinse adapter so it isn't available any longer and the gas line coming out of the adapter that usually connects to your gas solenoid hence the reason it has male end. OP has no solenoid in his machine so he needs to connect that male argon gas line to the male argon gas line coming off the regulator.

What he would need the argon RH "B" female-female gas line coupler for is to couple the gas line from the 50mm Dinse to 26 torch adapter he was buying and connect it to the regulator line.
    Those are both the same male argon style thread so you need a coupler with female argon style thread on both sides.
    I believe his gas block, torch and gas line from flow meter are 3/8inch flared pipe thread.
    Are you sure the adapter is 3/8"?

I believe his gas block, torch and gas line from flow meter are 3/8inch flared pipe thread.
    Are you sure the adapter is 3/8"?

My y mixer will work with his gas block and torch. My torch would work with the first cyberweld dinse he bought but his dinse won't work on my Lincoln or ahp tho. I would keep the first dinse and use later with the torch that fits it. That 26 torch is going to be stiffer than the 9 or 17 and he may want to change later on.

Yea I wasn't sure what is on the 26 torch end exactly.

But those Miller adapters have a RH Argon "B" 5/8-18 UNF male fittings on the Argon line coming out of them which are the same as standard argon line from regulator.

If the 26 size torch end fitting it is the same 5/8-18 RH Argon "B" that argon gas line uses then the power block would work for the argon to argon gas line connection from the 50mm Dinse adapter to the regulator line.

Yes for sure you had a good idea that he should keep that first adapter and make up a nice 9 size torch. Using a 26 on everything would get old for me I know. Too big for the lower amperage small jobs.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-21-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Some 200 amp 26 torch's like the CK trimline uses a 5/8"x18 end, but most 26 torch's use a 7/8"x14 end
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Primeweld dealer and tech support
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's