Tig torch connection help needed - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Tig torch connection help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    I believe his gas block, torch and gas line from flow meter are 3/8inch flared pipe thread.
    Are you sure the adapter is 3/8" ?
    I'm confused about threads. The 3/8" pipe thread diameter is same as 5/8"-18 machine diameter. Welding web sites sell 5/8-18 gas blocks but Starret and machinery's handbook 25 show pipe thread as 3/8"-18 at 0.675 diameter. Wtf?

3/8"-18 flared pipe thread and 5/8-18 machine thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    3/8"-18 flared pipe thread and 5/8-18 machine thread.
    It for sure isn't a standard 3/8" tapered pipe thread. Your common RH B argon 5/8-18 thread I mean isn't pipe thread.

The threads are straight. It seals using machined ferrule ahead of the threaded barrel with the make threads that spins free on fitting and force the ferrule into the seat it seals against. .
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Danielplace, you sound confused about tapered threads and flared. As I understand , flared threads have a niple or socket.

I will confess tho. I've been using 3/8-18 flared with 5/8-18 inert gas thread. No leaks and I recently tested with an at torch flow meter. The 3/8 niple isn't the exact fit for 5/8 socket but works with no leaks. I checked the machinist handbook and it seems they are the same male thread. The drill size, major diameter and tpi are the same. The female threads for 5/8-18 are different because 5/8-18 gas line flattens thread at major diameter by design but I didn't need female fittings.

Never mentioned flared I do not think that is something else altogether also. Single flare, double flare, inverted flared.

You have four pages open to tapered pipe thread. I was trying to figure what that has to do with the fittings on the Argon line on the Miller adapter.

The end on the Argon hose coming off the 50mm dinse adapter for the 9,17 or the 26 is RH Argon B fitting 5/8"-18 not the tapered pipe thread you have the book opened to in your first picture. That is tapered pipe threads that seals using the threads. The argon line on the adapter isn't tapered pipe thread that is all I was saying.

These are 5/8-18 RH argon fittings that all my regulators have and it is same as Miller dinse adapter uses,

https://i.imgur.com/4JkHfXr.jpg

Using the purpose made adapter or powering up the block not sure how we got so far off track but both are super simple. Nothing complicated.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-25-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Similar but those are certainly some foreign looking connections.

50mm dinse adapter for 26 torch and gas line in.

https://i.imgur.com/BK14RT2.png
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-26-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Your tig rig pic is worth saving for prosperity.

It's basically a gas block tig rig pre fabbed. I will stick with gas block tho. Gas block can easily be used with any old stick stinger or weld lug,lead,dinse and fastener and/or machine ; that rig is only for that size Dinse and machine.

Gas block can easily be adapted for any machine and was designed for use with machines without a dinse?

What size threads you use over there?

The quick disconnect looks good for using different torches
    Attached Images Attached Images  

But some people could totally care less to have anything to do with stick welding connected to there dedicated tig machine when they only want it for tig. The adapter is much cleaner and you don't have a huge chuck of brass hanging from a dedicated tig rig that is hot when welding, For what ?

You wanna stick weld you 1/4 twist the dinse out and 1/4 turn the dinse that has your stinger on it back in. Using a gas block serves zero purpose if you are welding within the reach of the tig torchs cable. The block serves no purpose whatsoever unless you are extending the torch reach from your machine by powering it with your stick welding stinger. Some people never care to do that.

I have a Dynasty 280 and sure as heck wouldn't want all that junk hanging from the machine just to tig weld. I have had it 3 years and still haven't needed to get a stinger and do any stick welding with it and never will because it is my dedicated tig machine.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-26-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    But some people could totally care less to have anything to do with stick welding connected to there dedicated tig machine when they only want it for tig. The adapter is much cleaner and you don't have a huge chuck of brass hanging from a dedicated tig rig that is hot when welding, For what ?

You wanna stick weld you 1/4 twist the dinse out and 1/4 turn the dinse that has your stinger on it back in. Using a gas block serves zero purpose if you are welding within the reach of the tig torchs cable. The block serves no purpose whatsoever unless you are extending the torch reach from your machine by powering it with your stick welding stinger. Some people never care to do that.

I have a Dynasty 280 and sure as heck wouldn't want all that junk hanging from the machine just to tig weld. I have had it 3 years and still haven't needed to get a stinger and do any stick welding with it and never will because it is my dedicated tig machine.
    I give up

Finally. Jeez.

I gave up a long time ago. Just trying to help the OP get what he was after.

The OP clearly asked for a more elegant way to connect the 26 torch to his 50mm Dinse. He already had most all the junk needed to fire up that block and not what he wanted evidently but you keep on trying to connect it for him in abortion style. Don't get it. I posted the one simple part he needs. There isn't anything else to talk about but here we are still discussing what I don't even know anymore.

You did read his request after telling him to power up the block. He hated that idea. The adapter was exactly what he wanted and needed.

Quote Originally Posted by k99 View Post
    Thanks, I was hoping for a more elegant solution. Lol. I figured there was some kind of adapter.
    Makes you not want to bother making the proper suggestion if this is what it takes once you do. Three days bs'ing about nothing but bs.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-26-2019 at 11:04 PM.