Jawslandshark/ A-60i 3 phase
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Jawslandshark/ A-60i 3 phase

Well Chris you were right..

The low rent Cutmaster 60i in A config (SL-100 SV torch is a Beast.)The machine torch Pierce is fantastic. Does 5/8 mild steel no problems, and has little issue blasting through 3/4 mild steel. No nozzle/shield damage, and slag pile is flat, and blown out of the way.. It handles more stand-off without one issue in arc starting.. Was using .2100. The cool thing is it will pierce 3/4, and you get to cut with the Thermal 60 amp consumables for a very low bevel. The rated 132 volts, and 60 amps/50% duty-cycle..80% on higher input voltage. The 8000 KW really shows it's stuff.. 1500 more them my 45XP. there is nr way the 45XP could even get close to that Peirce performance with a machine torch..

I know the guy I sold the single phase 60i runs his on 480 volts, and does gouging all day and night with it.. I use on my 15 hp rotary phase converter, and the extra pierce power is superior over the 230 vot single phase unit I have.. It going to be sold off now.. The Amazon 3 phase 60i (Machine only), cost me $397 after rebate.What a deal for best in class performance. (hand down too.) Always Hearing buy another brand because they are the best.. Yea in the net world they certainly are..
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    2-Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Dynamics Drag-gun 35C

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Re: Jawslandshark/ A-60i 3 phase

I figured you would notice this as I did, seems the 3 phase unit has better arc properties, It pops hard right off the bat and does not struggle to burn through. Glad your phase converter worked out for you on that machine, my PL-30 does not even flinch with the 60i all the way up.

I have not had time to play around with the Powermax 85 compared to the 3 phase 60i, one thing I do like is the stand-off height of the 60i better, it's not a finicky when it comes to compensating for the bevel or having to worry about torch hieght control settings. I have run mine drag beveling with a straight edge on some 3/4 plate and was almost perfect with the long arc, something I just can't pull off with the others.

I have learned one machine can't do everything perfect and in this business sometimes that one thing can save you a bunch of time and money. For a hand machine I honestly can say these are my favorite out of any plasma I have ever used, I will keep messing with it. My single phase unit stays in the truck and mainly use it for gouging and cutting up repair work, it payed for itself the first few times I used it.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

It's pretty versatile when you combine the SL-40 torch in the mix.. Now you have a machine that will run way down low, with a very small torch.. You still get the exposed straight tip that is really hard to beat for detail work..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

I know the guy I sold the single phase 60i runs his on 480 volts, and does gouging all day and night with it.. I use on my 15 hp rotary phase converter, and the extra pierce power is superior over the 230 vot single phase unit I have.. It going to be sold off now.. The Amazon 3 phase 60i (Machine only), cost me $397 after rebate.What a deal for best in class performance. (hand down too.) Always Hearing buy another brand because they are the best.. Yea in the net world they certainly are..[/QUOTE]

Scott,,,killer deal on the 60i!!
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    Esab 161 STL
    ESAB powercut 650
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Lincoln IdealArc 250

MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

who do I have to kill to get that kind of deal?!!!

Scott,,,killer deal on the 60i!

Yes it was..

Jim,
    made a few cuts 1 inch 1.125, and 1.375 MS. Becomes more of a sever cut on 1.375. Will get through it OK.. Mostly just testing the 15 hp Rotary.. Excellent with it,, Putts right along with zero issues.

All these are just straight machine torch cuts. I did try to see what the Pierce limit was with the machine torch. Meaning be able to pierce a thick piece of steel without blowing your nozzle or shield to bits.. I tried a piece of 1.00 inch steel, and it worked without nozzle/shield damage. This is coming straight down with a machine torch, and no movement of the torch.. I started the pierce at .2200 and it went through it, and the torch would clear the slag pile easy.. This is so impressive for a 8000 KW power supply, it hard to wrap your head around it.. If you wanted to pre-pierce in SheetCam, then go back, and check your shield nozzles for damage, then this machine could cut one inch without a edge start. World class there for sure. The long arc length also works on arc starts. All for $397.. .
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Brand X; 04-13-2019 at 12:32 AM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Scott,,,killer deal on the 60i!

Yes it was..

Jim,
    made a few cuts 1 inch 1.125, and 1.375 MS. Becomes more of a sever cut on 1.375. Will get through it OK.. Mostly just testing the 15 hp Rotary.. Excellent with it,, Putts right along with zero issues.

All these are just straight machine torch cuts. I did try to see what the Pierce limit was with the machine torch. Meaning be able to pierce a thick piece of steel without blowing your nozzle or shield to bits.. I tried a piece of 1.00 inch steel, and it worked without nozzle/shield damage. This is coming straight down with a machine torch, and no movement of the torch.. I started the pierce at .2200 and it went through it, and the torch would clear the slag pile easy.. This is so impressive for a 8000 KW power supply, it hard to wrap your head around it.. If you wanted to pre-pierce in SheetCam, then go back, and check your shield nozzles for damage, then this machine could cut one inch without a edge start. World class there for sure. The long arc length also works on arc starts. All for $397.. .
    Scott ,,so given that this should probably run all day on a table cutting 1/8 -3/16 without ever breaking a sweat?? Can see why Esab labeled it the beast at the trade shows when it came out,,,very nice!!
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    Esab 161 STL
    ESAB powercut 650
    Lincoln IdealArc 250

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    who do I have to kill to get that kind of deal?!!!
    Scotts got the timing down on scoring deals on amazon like i never seen!!
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    Esab 161 STL
    ESAB powercut 650
    Lincoln IdealArc 250

Quote Originally Posted by jim cafarelli View Post
    Scotts got the timing down on scoring deals on amazon like i never seen!!
    Jim,
    first machine I bought was about the same cost as yours.. In fact it's the one I am selling now.. Still given that, the 60i is still a great machine anyway..Was Certainly a great Performance to $$$ value for sure. Nobody really knew that you could snag one for under $400.00

Being conservative it should cut 3/8 all day, and also cut a whole lot of .500 without any issues.. The main issue would be my duty-cycle..
    Last edited by Brand X; 04-14-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

Jaws,
    put a amp meter on my single phase service with the 60i/ 15 hp rotary phase converter.. Single phase machine was somewhere around 40 input amps max. bit more or less with a hand torch.. My rotary draws 5.5 amps at idle 240 volt input.. Cutting 1 inch MS with the three phase unit pulled about 48 + amps out of the single phase service..(SV torch) Not a huge hit overall. running my SL-40 torch at 40 amps output (3/8) was in the mid 20 amp range.. Waiting for my SL-60 hand torch to show next week to try a bit more tests.. Really, the extra amp draw from the rotary is nothing, when you factor in how this thing Pierces like a way bigger plasma cutter. It pierces without damage to the nozzle or shield, and is more impressive there then just about anything else out. Least anything remotely in it's size range..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Jaws,
    put a amp meter on my single phase service with the 60i/ 15 hp rotary phase converter.. Single phase machine was somewhere around 40 input amps max. bit more or less with a hand torch.. My rotary draws 5.5 amps at idle 240 volt input.. Cutting 1 inch MS with the three phase unit pulled about 48 + amps out of the single phase service..(SV torch) Not a huge hit overall. running my SL-40 torch at 40 amps output (3/8) was in the mid 20 amp range.. Waiting for my SL-60 hand torch to show next week to try a bit more tests.. Really, the extra amp draw from the rotary is nothing, when you factor in how this thing Pierces like a way bigger plasma cutter. It pierces without damage to the nozzle or shield, and is more impressive there then just about anything else out. Least anything remotely in it's size range..
    Your phase converter is really efficient at idle, the meter I have on my 30hp shows it pulls 21 amps at idle, I have not checked it on max with the 60i though, I will do that next time I have it running. I have not been plasma cutting much last few weeks, it's been all on the cold saw or band saw stuff. Been thinking I need to get rid of one of these units since I have become a plasma hoarder. The pics you posted are impressive, the 60i really needs some real world users posting awesome cuts like that.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Been thinking I need to get rid of one of these units since I have become a plasma hoarder.

Maybe,need to get one more..
    Does look like the new version is matching what I am seeing out of the older three phase unit.. Mostly in the 3/4 pierce area..I am sure some of the revised piercing is the increase in power, and that Thermal also figured out there is no damage to the nozzle or shield when going way beyond what all smaller machines will do.. New electrodes are out too..(9-8214)

https://www.esabna.com/us/en/beast/index.cfm
    Last edited by Brand X; 04-23-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

I got the email from ESAB this morning about the "improved 60i" I don't know what they did to it other than like you said sqeezed some more out of the single phase to match the current three phase. I think maybe they were conservative on the output at first or upgraded some internals. I will have to try some of the new consumables next time I order to see if they live up to the claims. Impressive units regardless of the upgrade, I really need to get a board for mechanized cutting and convert my three phase, hopefully find a deal on that somewhere. If Fabtech was in Vegas this year I would try and have them send me one but looks like not until next year for that city, Chigaco and Atlanta cost way more to attend, in Vegas at least I have room comps and cheap flights with nice weather. Never know maybe the ac/dc Rebel will be available for purchase by then also!

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    Impressive units regardless of the upgrade,
    16.6 improvement in cutting capacity on this new unit. I wonder if that means KW output? It would put is real close to a hypertherm 65 or Cutmaster 82 if it is.. At some point you would think the 60 amp consumables would be stressed from getting so much more out of them.. Probably not a real good idea to do a bunch of piercing of 3/4 MS if you want any real consumable life. 5/8 machine pierce would fall in line to a Hypertherm 65, and cutmaster 82 in that area. I still believe both will have a smoother cut at 1.5 sever... Unless I can get a new machine for $397.00, then a upgrade is not going to happen . Mine does everything I need it to do.. Shoot I am happy my SL-40 torch works on it on the bottom end.. Realistically, I wanted this machine to have a bit more arc length, and speed on .100 ms over the Hypertherm 45XP.. It does that, and with the extra pierce ability, makes it a good machine for my needs..

I had zero issues with the single phase older 60i. Just did not need two machines at this point..It got sold off, but the SL-60 torch went with it..Had to pick up a new E-bay one for $375.00, so overall did good with the four I bought. The Value to Performance is there on every version. Even the oldest software setup.. Sometimes stepping off the Upgrade bus is a good thing.. No AC/DC rebel for me, because the Caddymig 160, and CaddyTIG 2200i AC/DC is where I wanted to land..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s