Learning Welding from YouTube and other places
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Obviously nothing teaches you welding better then hands on with an instructor, that is why I'm signing up for a class with my local Community College, but what other places have people found to get more info on welding?

I've watched a ton on YouTube. This isn't going to be a "Beat of Chucky2009" thread, we already have one of those, but who else have you seen that actually gives you good information?

My favorites so far are:

This Old Tony - Way more than just welding. They man has an awesome sense of humor and imparts a TON of wisdom here and there.

AvE - Canadian. Do I need to say more?

Weld.com - if you can get past the fact that the one guy calls himself "Mr. TIG" but Bob's no BS approach seems to have some good info.

Welding Tips and Tricks - Jody is Jody.

The Fabrication Series - Seems pretty good with some good general info. Definitely sponsored but he's open about it.

Monkey Fabrication Garage - covers some good basics. A bit monotonous but overall pretty good info.

Man Cave Makings - Gus has some good intro videos on the basics of TIG and has some cool projects that he walks you through every step.

Kevin Caron - Artist. Has some good, quick, videos on welding and basics.

HourGlassFab - Brad has mad video skills and makes some beautiful videos. Has some good, sponsored, content to boot.

Anyone else you can suggest?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Re: Learning Welding from YouTube and other places

Get some regular books on welding and do some reading

Great Point! Besides "Welding for Dummies" What do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff.kabel View Post
    Great Point! Besides "Welding for Dummies" What do you suggest?

Haven't read that one... but if I remember right there are a couple from lincoln I used to have but gave them to kids wanting to learn... also had one called How to weld... for get who put it out??? and Welders Handbook I think was a Finch book.... The thing with most of the books is they cover the basics which is either missed or completely out of order when you start looking around online. Now with that said there is tons of info on how to weld online but you as a beginner don't have a clue as to what's right or wrong or even pertinent to what you're trying to accomplish.

If you post your location maybe someone local will chime in and take you under their wing.

Quote Originally Posted by arcflash View Post
    If you post your location maybe someone local will chime in and take you under their wing.
    Vallejo, CA. If anyone close by wants to impart their wisdom onto a fledgling newbie willing to learn, let me know.

Reading is good, you can store lots of settings, etc, in the back of your mind. Videos are probably the next best thing to an instructor, I think actually seeing what is going on is better than reading about it. Yeah, you will def see a lot of differing opinions on settings and such, just have to sort through the BS. Just take all the info you gather, and then try different settings, etc, see what works for you. Just use the info as a general starting point, every machine is different, you need to see what works. Trial and error. It's only metal, grind it, cut it, do it again. Practice, the more hood time, the better. And always don't be afraid to ask questions, everybody here started as a beginner.

who have you seen that actually gives you good information?

Welding Tips and Tricks - Jody is Jody.
    You can't go wrong with Jody, he is highly popular in France

5th Street Fab has very good videos, as does Aaron @ 6061. Those are more welding/fabrication style videos. For industrial welding/repair, look up Zila.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

This is kind of the ultimate link.

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...***&highlight=
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

As an fart that started late in life,when I get things so I see the puddle,learning go's well. When I can't see the puddle,I may as well go fishing as spending time behind the hood.
    Watch those you injoy and connect with,you'll learn a little form all and a bunch from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Sandy, for some reason the link isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Thanks!!!!!! for posting that thread Sandy

This is the best way to learn in my opinion!!!! I have read a lot of those books and still have a few somewhere

watching videos is great and all.... but if you don't have some reference or background knowledge on what your watching all you're doing is trying to exactly duplicate what you're seeing.... and that just doesn't give you a good foundation to learn on.... Once you get some reading under your belt things will click and make sense a lot quicker and you'll be able to understand what's going on when things don't work like you think they should when you are having problems.

As far as learning in addition to the above I also like weldtube, and the weld professor but they are mostly pipeline stuff. As for just watching and getting ideas/inspiration again in addition to the above listed i like make it extreme (they are GREAT), allen's welding/woodworking, jimbo's garage, and apexish (jd brewer). I'm sure there are others i forgot but i highly suggest you guys check their stuff out. Watching clear, actual arc shots is the best training next to having real life instruction IMO, after a basic foundation of theory watching those type of actual under hood type shots really helps you get your technique down or gives you a running start on trying a new technique. If Lincoln or the Hobart bros were alive today no doubt they'd have LOVED youtube and the educational benefits it can offer
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 04-14-2019 at 06:41 PM.

I always recommend Jody and Bob Moffit. They have many years of field work experience. You can take anything they say in regards to welding to the bank, unlike Chucky.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Sandy, for some reason the link isn't working.

Dern, I just clicked on it to verify and it popped right up for me. Sounds like it worked for ronsii too. Not sure what the deal might be.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

I like books and docs the best. I can refer to it as needed. Leave it set right there for quick access. Video helps re-inforce something you've got a mental picture of. Brings it right to the front where you can see.

Yep, Sandy... Link worked fine on my laptop and just now on my phone.

I'm with you on physical books �� just a lot handier to reference and learn from, videos are great too but so much more potent when backed up by books..... At least for me.

Books for reference of facts, figures, equations etc absolutely. If i need to know what to preheat an alloy to what beam size is rated at what load for what span books are the way to go. To learn how to actually read a puddle and manipulate it in different positions etc, new puddle manipulation techniques or processes, other than in person instruction watching a person clearly doing it in the correct manner through video will get you much further than a book

My 2cents....

I've taught a couple of friends to Tig weld. The first thing I do is to say go to Jodys site (weldingtipsandtricks) and watch him Tig Aluminum. There is No Way you could look over my shoulder and see what he can show you. That clear vision of the "C" forming in the joint and the fill & move his video shows isn't something I know how to put in your head as well. Then, it's just up to me to point out hand position, comfort, torch angle, speed, how to recognize too much or too little amperage, that kind of stuff...

And I don't mean to be a sycophant here, but Jody's site is all you need for this. AvE is a favorite of mine, but Jody is for serious welding.

btw Do Not Watch, or pay Any attention to Anything "Mr TIG" does or says. He's a clown who absolutely does Not know who to weld. I can't believe he has Any credibility at All....

WeldTube is by a welding school - very good in my opinion.

Name:  Screenshot_20190415-090319_YouTube.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190415-090308_YouTube.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  110.5 KB
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

weld tube looks great but certainly not for a beginner. anything round is not the best choice as a beginner.
    i know this first hand. I'm pretty sure that the last thing you learn in welding school is pipe for a reason.
    I've been welding round stock and it seems way harder than anything flat.
    since i have not mastered anything flat yet, i should not even be messing with round.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    I always recommend Jody and Bob Moffit. They have many years of field work experience. You can take anything they say in regards to welding to the bank, unlike Chucky.
    this +1

Bob Moffatt struck me as a boring old fart at first, but the more I watch of his videos the more I realise that he's simply a really good instructor who WANTS to teach you. I'd love to see how he teaches at college in real life - guessing very similar to his video performance.

Jody - just good old fashioned experience that he wants to impart. Seems like a bang on guy. Some of his tips helped me immensely, with TIG welding aluminium, and the "TIG Drill" .

Chucke2009 - annoying, and doesn't seem like he knows as much as he thinks he does, even though he's a good welder.
    AvE - annoys the heck out of me. I just don't like his patter one single bit, even though I've tried to.
    This Old Tony - LOVE this guy. Every single video watched. one of the few fab channels that makes me genuinely laugh with his dad-jokes and gags.
    Last edited by Munkul; 04-15-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Another vote for Jody and Bob. Both are/have been instructors and have held various welding jobs and very good at breaking down what they are doing in a matter of fact way along with explaining what to watch out for. I doubt you will find anyone who doesn't like those two. I wish they would make more videos of welding projects, i.e. bbq cookers, special trailers,etc. Chucky wasn't bad when he first started but he seemed to let it go to his head.

Bob Moffet is just down the road about an hour from here... haven't gone to see him though
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac