new lathe day today
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new lathe day today

Im finally going to get rid of my old 1918 lodge and shipley I have been watching for a decent sized lathe with a long bed for a year or so. I ran across this about 400 miles away. loaded up some rigging and cribbing, jumped in the truck and headed over. 4 hours to lift it up and get it to the shop door then had a crane come out and load it. its a 1953 monarch and so far looks like it has been well taken care of there is some ridge wear on the ways but I will see. tail stock was removed for loading
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: new lathe day today

Nice!!!! Wish I could find another medium sized one around here....

I hope you'll be pleased with it. It's said they made excellent machines.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I hope you'll be pleased with it. It's said they made excellent machines.
    Funny,
    Jimmie told you that when you looked at his lathe.. Guess it did not sink in..
    It's one reason I never pulled the trigger on a Asian import..After your thread, it only reaffirmed what he told me...Although there is certainly different grades of quality there, but never match the real stuff in flat out build quality..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    2-Thermal 60i- 3phase (Beast)
    Thermal Dynamics Drag-gun 35C

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Monarch. Right up there with Leblonde. About as good any any guy could ever imagine. I like colleted Hardinge and old S. Bends for little tool rooms but that monster is super.

I run the 1943 version of that on almost a daily basis... we bit shorter bed but same machine. I love it. The Hardinge tool room stuff is perfect size for my shop.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

I'm looking forward to getting it unloaded and powered up see if I bought a lemon or not. I think someone changed it over to single phase and I dont know what horsepower it is now I didn't get to fire it up were it was so a bit nervous but I got good vibes from both of the owners just older guys retiring from the larger work.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

i like old iron and respect the quality that was built into them but keep an eye on the tolerances if it has seen any kind of production level.
    as good as they are,they still wear out and being 40,50 or 60 years old and more,there is plenty to go wrong.
    best of luck however.

single phase on a 29" swing is not going to get you very far.

its 20.5 swing there is a ding right on the 0 to look like a 9. but it originally had between a 7.5 to 15 horse motor on it. I'm sure its a tired machine but the ways alone it will be a big improvement on my present lathe

Nice! Personally, I am getting old enough to not want to do the work that a lathe that size is capable of.

I do some decent sized work but its mainly to fix my own stuff I'm hoping it true enough to consistently hit two bearing fits in a row if I do my part. I'm tired of getting within .005 and getting out the files and sandpaper
    Last edited by idacal; 04-18-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    I do some decent sized work but its mainly to fix my own stuff I'm hoping it true enough to consistently hit two bearing fits in a row if I do my part. I'm tired of getting within .005 and getting out the files and sandpaper
    Reason I gave up on the Clausing was just that. I couldn't stomach something that wasn't within at least a few tenths. Like a dog chasing its tail.

New one isn't so bad...…….about half thou...…..and that's with bad bearings. I'm too old to mess with crap. Although I, once again, find myself messing with crap. But at least I have something that will turn under a few tenths when it's happy. Just want something as accurate as my mill.

My biggie is inside bores. I like DOM. And I like to bore it to size (.005-.010 fit for the pin). Tired of doing it on the mill. Want an accurate lathe to do it el fasto mondo. Simple as that. And, if I'm lazy...…….I'd like to turn the pin down to fit the standard size DOM. I don't have a lot of patience as I get older.

If you're worried about the ways. Check them before you plunk money into the endeavor. Mount an indicator on the saddle, and see what's goin' on ahead of the saddle as it approaches the headstock. That'll tell ya if you pizzed yer money away. Stretch your indicator out at least 6" in front of the saddle, and let it ride on the way. Bottom line...……..it's probably F'd in the 12" or so in front of the headstock. If that's the case...…….give it up. You won't be happy.

Plop the indicator on the saddle

Name:  metrology5.JPG
Views: 678
Size:  113.5 KB Only mag base I had at that time is what you see. I've since bit the bullet, and gotten a Noga that can reach out about 13". Further the better. This is only a comparative test. Assuming the ways are fairly good the further away from the headstock, and using the saddle as a sled to move on the better section of ways, while measuring deviation close to the headstock.

Name:  metrology6.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  metrology7.JPG
Views: 678
Size:  131.4 KB The flat way sucks

Name:  metrology8.JPG
Views: 685
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  metrology9.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  112.0 KB The v way is worse.

In this particular case, we're seeing the saddle start to take a nose dive as it nears the headstock. To verify, you can put the indicator on the back of the saddle, and see if the results match. So......the ways were bad much further back than it would be assumed. The machine is ready for the scrap bin. Unless you spend a wad of cash to regrind the ways, and rebuild the ways on the saddle.

I learned the hard way, and I try to preach to anyone who'll listen...…………….CHECK THOSE WAYS BEFORE YOU SPEND A DIME, OR YOUR TIME, ON AN OLD MACHINE.

Keep in mind that you might be getting a composite deviation...……...you can't be sure which way is actually causing the bulk of the deviation. Doesn't matter though...……..if you're seeing bad numbers, you gotta problem.

the front way is usually going to incur more wear as it's under load during most use and carrying more weight from apron mechanism.

got this unloaded and into the shop, finally, what fun that was, it sure is quiet compared to my other lathe. I took a couple of cuts just to try it out haven't had time to change oil or level it yet but it seems like it will be a beast once its ready to really run. took a 140 off of diameter and then a .030 and then ran back no cutting on the back run. it looks ike I'm going to have a decent lathe finally. it did have a 10 horse single phase motor on it. going to have to figure out an overhead lifting though the chucks are way to large for manhandling and the shop is usually to full to get back there with the tractor it came with an 18" 4 jaw and a 16" 3 jaw I'm going to start looking for a good 12" 4 jaw to start with those I can put on by hand
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by idacal; 05-06-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Looking very good Yeah, some sort of overhead lifting gear is just about a requirement for that sized work.

Tail stock & steady rest come with it? I think I am jealous.

Nice score.

Right now I have a 12x36 Taiwanese lathe. It’s pretty tight but I’d really like to score a 50’s or 60’s vintage Lodge and Shipley in good shape.

One day....
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Nice score.

Right now I have a 12x36 Taiwanese lathe. It’s pretty tight but I’d really like to score a 50’s or 60’s vintage Lodge and Shipley in good shape.

One day....
    Dream on 60yrs of use. Not sure if it's been taken care of. Yeah...…...be my guest

If the wear is within the length of the saddle, and close to the chuck...…..you might get good results when turning close to the chuck. The real eye opener is what it does when it hits the transition point beyond the chuck. Where the original grind takes over...……...where it's actually true as built. No free lunch, and in reality...…...it's just plain ol' old.

I got an old 78' PowerWagon out in the yard. I'll swear it'll out pull anything made today. But I'd be a liar. It's wore out. It's old. Probably in better shape than anything of it's age...…….but wore out. Nostalgia is fine...…….reality sucks.

If your 12x36 is tight, and gives good results...…..you're good to go.

Dream on 60yrs of use. Not sure if it's been taken care of. Yeah...…...be my guest

If the wear is within the length of the saddle, and close to the chuck...…..you might get good results when turning close to the chuck. The real eye opener is what it does when it hits the transition point beyond the chuck. Where the original grind takes over...……...where it's actually true as built. No free lunch, and in reality...…...it's just plain ol' old.

I got an old 78' PowerWagon out in the yard. I'll swear it'll out pull anything made today. But I'd be a liar. It's wore out. It's old. Probably in better shape than anything of it's age...…….but wore out. Nostalgia is fine...…….reality sucks.

yeap.x2

well a new tool mex lathe in this size range will set you back getting close to a 100 grand so I think some wear can be dealt with as Im not making my living with it. if its to bad I will try again. I could just shorten the bed and move the headstock to the last 6' of bed and have a very low wear lathe. not going to do that though of courseI dont work to that precision over long lengths

Good advice but a guy can still dream!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Hey......I'm hoping it turns out good. I get too negative. It's a bad trait. I just don't want anybody to go thru what I went thru.....sucks.

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building

Regarding chucks,

A 12" is really too heavy unless you are like the hulk. I have 10" 3 and 4 jaws I use on my 13EE and 2013, even the 6 jaw 10" is a bit heavy as I get older.

Regarding wear, Monarch lathes do wear like any lathe, the oil in the saddle also oils the ways. Make sure the oilers are all working, if they are and have been feed oil all along there should be minimal wear.

Steve
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

I ran some checks on it it does have some wear on it from about 8” out from the chuck to 32” out i will see if its livable. i need to figure out the oiling and make sure all thats working and change the wipers got them ordered havent got here yet. I had a decent 10” 3 jaw for my old lathe that im going to get a new backing plate for. I think a 10” 4 jaw would be nice to. reaching your hand past 8 inches of spinning chuck working on a 2” part all it took was once that just feels dangerouus
    Last edited by idacal; 05-11-2019 at 09:33 AM.