new lathe day today - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: new lathe day today

been liking my new to me lathe but it was funny I got chatter on my last pass on a bore Im guessing it was because I wasn't taking enough off for the insert so I put in a new tpg and hit it with a honing stone and it cleaned up the chatter marks in the bore. I can grind the bigger hss fairly easily but I can't see well enough to grind the 1/4" that all my boring bars take, time for magnifiers I guess, can I put a magnifier right above the grinder? lol . this thing sure takes the metal off faster though, I did my first internal taper thread, I figure 30 more of them and I might become decent at it. so far I have been liking it, I did walk out of the shop while it was in neutral and left it running because its so quiet I didn't hear it.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Right on!!! good to hear things are cutting smoothly

"I did walk out of the shop while it was in neutral and left it running because its so quiet I didn't hear it."
    So... what you're saying is it's not only your eyes that are going..

ouch, nailed it, but in my defense there was a fan running in the shop to, but it is definitely quieter than any other tool I have in there, even quieter than a box fan. to the point were I can hear a radio playing while running it I'm thinking its going to do everything I need on the larger stuff, its taking bit to get leveled, keeps moving but its starting to move less it had pretty good twist on the *** end of it, it has 10 6" circles carrying the weight. now to finish my jib boom
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Right on!!!!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for the jib job