Boat winch
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Boat winch

Boat winch

Anyone rigged up a 12 volt hitch mounted winch to a boat trailer for easy retrieval? We launch directly from the beach and it's hard to get into deep enough water sometimes. The boat is a 14 foot aluminum with a 30HP outboard and a non tilt trailer. I was thinking about one of these for mounting it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bigb; 04-21-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Re: Boat winch

Sound's like a winner to me. If you don't get it mounted before making some launches,use a snatch block and an additional cable to make hand winching easier. Roller bunks help with launching and retrieving in shollow water.

I could see it being needed on sand

It maybe be easier to adapt winch to fit on the trailer . They are dedicated boat trailer winches but not cheap. Naturally, Amazon has a variety.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Mate-...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/electric-boat...t+winch&page=2

We had a winch mounted to the front of one of our work boats. Used it for both loading on the trailer and pulling the boat wherever we wanted it.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    It maybe be easier to adapt winch to fit on the trailer . They are dedicated boat trailer winches but not cheap. Naturally, Amazon has a variety.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Mate-...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/electric-boat...t+winch&page=2
    I saw those but since I have a front receiver as well I thought a receiver mounted winch would be useful for other things too. I don't think the boat winch would be any better than a regular winch at retrieving the boat do you? I could put another receiver just about anywhere and use the conventional winch.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Why not put the winch at the front of the trailer behind the coma long? That’s what I’d do

how about not of those cheep harbor freight one way 12v winches. they work but wouldn't pull my jeep grand cherokee v8 up the car hauler ramps but might work for your application. lot lighter than jeep.
    lincoln 125sp
    monkey wards 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    of course duramax diesel

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    We had a winch mounted to the front of one of our work boats. Used it for both loading on the trailer and pulling the boat wherever we wanted it.
    Front of the boat is also a good idea. It would save a trip from not having to walking back to the boat, just to the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I saw those but since I have a front receiver as well I thought a receiver mounted winch would be useful for other things too. I don't think the boat winch would be any better than a regular winch at retrieving the boat do you? I could put another receiver just about anywhere and use the conventional winch.
    The receiver hitch will work too and as you say multi purpose. I think adding a pulley, roller / like snatch block for the cable to ride on would help. A straight pull onto the boat trailer would take stress off the rollers or bunks depending what you have.