Mystery Metal??????
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Mystery Metal??????

Just a piece of scrap on the rack. Covered in rust. Not sure what it came off of, but might have come off an old one way disc.

Name:  mystery metal.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  208.5 KB

I'm goin' along, and thinkin' the new bearings sure put a new step in the ol' gal...……………...then I hit the (unhardened?) material, and reality brought me right back down to the ol' 1018 blues

Made another cut to verify, and same same.

The insert handled it well, beautiful small chips...……..then the long stringy chips when it hit the (1018?).

Cutter also bit deeper into the soft portion.

Ya think it might be case hardened 1018? Took two .005 cuts, and didn't get under any layer

Re: Mystery Metal??????

Odd that there is such a definite line. I have delivered pieces for case hardening to an outfit and the guy showed me his gas furnace. The thing created a carbon rich atmosphere ( carbon monoxide) while the pieces soaked up the carbon. He claimed he could easily go deeper than a sixteenth if the spec called for it. Our pieces were 3 inch diameter about 8 inches long with a dished end like saucer. They were case hardened on the end and we welded the things to the end of a piling. apparently the hardened circular edge would catch on a rock and fracture it rather than slipping past and moving off location.
    Your pieces must have been quenched to that line for it to be so definite.
    I am curious just how deep that skin is.

flip the workpiece around in that gem you bought, and see if it happens again in same spot. in other words, however you had it chucked/mounted, switch to opposite end(s)
    Last edited by 123weld; 04-24-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    flip the workpiece around in that gem you bought, and see if it happens again in same spot. in other words, however you had it chucked/mounted, switch to opposite end(s)

Now that's some good advise there...

It's always been my understanding and experience is only a few thousandth's deep, hence the the name "case" hardening, we would usually heat with a neutral flame, furnace etc and then immerse the piece in a high carbon compound like charcoal or even powdered carbon. I really doubt that a depth of 1/16 is attainable, but it may be.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Could the piece have been repaired with tig or
    spray welding after a bearing froze and spun on
    the shaft? Or maybe manufacturer sprayed and
    ground area where bearing or tool is located?
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

I am not sure about the steel but I can see there are several keys on your keyboard that never get used.

I run into changing finishes like this in my atlas many times. Going along, nice cut, then changes to something like the OP's at random places, then back nice sometimes. Many times just taking a heavier cut across the whole piece yields a better finish across the whole piece.

I assume the edge of the cutter dulls a bit or changes in some way during the cut sometimes.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

I have a few shafts farmers have given me off their discs. Maybe 8-10' long, 1-1/2" or so in diameter, nut welded to one end and coarse threads on the other. I always assumed they were 4140 or similar. It cuts fine as is and will harden beyond belief if you weld on it. I keep it around strictly for machined only parts that need to be tough.
    My name's not Jim....