New Extension for Front Porch
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

New Extension for Front Porch

For the last several years I have been wanting to build an extension out on my front porch for more space. The porch runs 28' across the front of the house, but it is only 6' wide. I mostly use the south end, from the middle to the end, 14'. It get's crowded REAL QUICK with more the 3 people on it. I wanted to push it out an additional 6', and go to the end. This would make it 6'x14'. The finished deck height needed to be around 4' above ground level, depending n where you measured it. I already had some 2.5"x2.5"x 1/4" square tubing from some previous projects that I wanted to make use of. Here is how I prepared the posts to be set in concrete so thy would NOT be able to slide through in any way. I used 2"x2"x 1/4" angle iron cut to 10" lengths and welded them one to each side 10" apart with 1/8" 7018, running about 125 amps. I made a pass on all 4 sides of the angle where it meets the tubing.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: New Extension for Front Porch

Here is the project area and getting the 4 corner posts in place, then the center posts. Holes dug down just over 48" deep, 12" diameter minimum, but mostly right at 12". Then I placed a precast 9" diameter concrete pad in the bottom of the hole for the post to sit on. Mixed & poured 2 80 Lb. bags of Quikcrete in the hole, THEN set the post in place, working it around until it rested on the pad at the bottom. Then mixed and poured 4 more 80 Lb. bags of concrete to finish filling the hole to the top, making sure the posts stayed plumb when done filling. I worked the wet concrete up & down with a sharp shooter shovel to settle the concrete in the hole. I finished each pour spreading out the top around each post sloping it slightly away from the post. After the four corner posts had set up, the next day I cut them off to the finished elevation. I then welded the cut off pieces together to make the center posts. I beveled the ends to get full pen welds on the 1/4" using 1/8" 6011. No pics of that, sorry. I only set those posts at about 38" as I didn't want to dig all the way down to 48" again, so it took a little less concrete to fill the holes.

Nice work!!! that extra space will be great when you use it the for the first time you will be saying I can't believe I didn't do it sooner!!!!!

When I got the tops of all the posts cut off to the level I wanted, I welded 2.5"x2.5"x 1/4" angle iron cut 6' long across the tops of each 2 pairs of posts. While I was at it, I added a 16' piece of the same angle across the front, tying all of it together and giving me a place to mount the roof supports later. I also boxed in the over hanging part at the end, back to the leg for more support out there.

In order to get 14' pressure treated 2"x6" boards for floor joists, I had to buy 16 footers. I figured, I bought the extra length, why cut it off? So decided to go with a 16' deck instead of the originally planned 14'. I knew the deck supports were MORE than adequate to handle the extra overhang. That's why the 16' angle across the front. Since I was going out 6', I bought 12 footers and cut them in half for the decking. I drilled 3/8" holes in the angle iron and set the floor joists on 12" centers instead of the standard 16", just because. I used 3/8"x 2" lag bolts to secure each joist to the angle where it crossed. The front angle/joist has a few more in it. The ledger board where it attaches to the original porch floor joist is attached using ten 3/8"x 5" lag bolts. The pictures got out of sequence from the way I uploaded them, but y'all are a smart enough bunch to figure out what's going on in these pix.

??? most of those boards look like regular 2by's... edit: or is that the stuff they call sunwood or something like that? not press treated for ground contact just 'outdoor' wood...

Got the decking cut and in place.Some of the decking boards were bowed and I had to pull them inline with a long pipe clamp to even the 18" gaps between the boards. I laid down almost the first half of the decking from one side, then went to the other end and worked to the middle. I knew I was most likely going to need to rip the last piece and I didn't want it to be on the edge. As it worked out, I had to make it 4 5/8" on one end and 5 1/8" on the other to fit correctly. Only 1/2" off across a 16' span ain't too bad on the deck boards considering the bow in some of the board I had to deal with. I DID check them for straightness when I selected each one, but after storing them on the ground at home for a couple of weeks before using them, they bowed some. I cut out the railing that covered the first 14' span and will be able to re-use them for the side/end railing pieces. I will copy that design to cover the rest of the open spaces once the roof supports are done. The railings are only clamped in place temporarily right now for the phot op.

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    ??? most of those boards look like regular 2by's... edit: or is that the stuff they call sunwood or something like that? not press treated for ground contact just 'outdoor' wood...
    It is the pressure treated from LOWES, not suited for ground contact. Some of it the green from the treatment can be seen and it was ALL still wet & heavy from the treatment when I got it. When I sunk the screws into the decking you could see the moisture squeeze out of it.

I wonder if those eat metal like the GCA treated hopefully not!!!

Used to see guys slip a piece of asphalt roofing between the metal and wood to isolate it and also just plain old tar paper.

Ya still have all the roof extension work to do then? So is it going to drain off between that stem wall and the steps there or does it slope another way?

Looking good.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Ya still have all the roof extension work to do then? So is it going to drain off between that stem wall and the steps there or does it slope another way?

Looking good.
    The roof supports and trusses will be 1.5"x1.5" 11 gage tubing, seen in the background of the last picture above ^^. The roof will be sloping towards the long side of the porch next to the steps, but have enough overhang there to provide some cover from rain run off.

Awesome, Now more than 3 people can gather comfortably and stare off at the vast sea of abandoned vehicles all at once!
    -Jon
    Everlast 210 EXT
    Tweco Fabricator 211i

Quote Originally Posted by jfutey View Post
    Awesome, Now more than 3 people can gather comfortably and stare off at the vast sea of abandoned vehicles all at once!
    You must not be a country boy. Great job Bisteneau.

Quote Originally Posted by hvw View Post
    You must not be a country boy. Great job Bisteneau.
    I don't know where he sees any abandoned cars. Says he's from new jersey. Thanks for noticing. More to come later when I get started on the roof structure.

pfft- I live in a City and see more abandoned cars than there are in bistineau's photo
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    I don't know where he sees any abandoned cars. Says he's from new jersey. Thanks for noticing. More to come later when I get started on the roof structure.
    Nice job. As for the other comment, we al know folks from Jersey are full of

Name:  bull****.gif
Views: 1632
Size:  60.2 KB

Dave
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Dave's Telescopes Page

Looks great so far, going to get it done in time for some nice grilling weather, just make sure the railings are sturdy if you have rowdy friends like hank jr and I lol. Good pressure treated wood is one of the "good ol' days" things I miss, especially here in the nanny state. As for commenting on the yard, unless you're gonna pay my note for the yard you can shove your non constructive opinion back where it belongs, right up your @$$.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Looks great so far, going to get it done in time for some nice grilling weather, just make sure the railings are sturdy if you have rowdy friends like hank jr and I lol. Good pressure treated wood is one of the "good ol' days" things I miss, especially here in the nanny state. As for commenting on the yard, unless you're gonna pay my note for the yard you can shove your non constructive opinion back where it belongs, right up your @$$.
    It's already been nice grilling weather for awhile now. The railings will be more than sturdy enough when I am done with them. I don't believe in building flimsy stuff. There's just no point in it. As for the yard, there are no more notes on it, it is paid off since 2003. As far as that guy seeing any abandoned cars, I don't know where he sees any in my pix. There are NONE in the whole neighborhood. The one car that can be seen is NOT abandoned, merely parked there. I have 2 P/U trucks & 2 motorcycles that are licensed & insured, so I don't need to use the car right now. The weeds have grown up next to it some because I have been spending more time working on this than mowing the yard. I will catch up with that once I get further along with this project. There is a sea of St. Augustine grass out front with some trees and the lake at the end of it.

wtf is that a bad cajun stereotype or is the poster referring to the view from his own front porch? anyway no matter; great piece of homegrown engineering bistineau now sit back and enjoy it.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

There are more crashed cars in my yard than in Bistineau's and I built a fence around to fend off the "yard police". Merely projects for the near future. Nice porch, BTW. I will gladly keep my stuff and dare anyone to say anything about it!
    Regards
    Dave

That ain't goin anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    great piece of homegrown engineering bistineau now sit back and enjoy it.
    Thanks DOC. But I can't sit back just yet. I still need to add roof supports and build some roof trusses to go from the house out to the supports and roof it. Also need to build and install the hand rails The plan is to weld in the roof supports, then build/install the railings and then move on up to doing the roof trusses. I went and got the wood today to make the railings with. I also plan on removing the center column from this section of the porch while I am doing all this, to open up there area better. I will need to add some steel to take the load once the column comes out, but no welding involved there. I have 17 1/2' of 3.5"x2.5"x1/4" angle iron to use, though I won't need to use all of it. There's not a LOT of weight on this section of the house, so that should be sufficient with the way I plan on doing it. I am removing the paneling on the inside of the porch so I can get at the structural underneath of it to do the reinforcing in there and be able to add the steel too.

Quote Originally Posted by 6Boys View Post
    That ain't goin anywhere!
    You sho nuff right there, bud.

Here's a view of the "vast sea of abandoned cars". Over the week end I got the 4 roof supports in place and started on the handrails. I welded in all the tabs to attach them to the supports and got to work on the wood portion again. I got the top and bottom rails in, then cut all the pickets and started installing them. No pics of the pickets, yet. My 14" chop saw made easy work of making the pickets with a 12" table saw blade on it. I marked and cut them all to length, 30 3/4", then set the fence to 45* & cut the bottom angles. Will post pics of those later when I get some more done. I have it to the point I can get some more done for a few hours each evening when I get home from work, if the rain holds off.

Lookin' good!!!! you're making great progress