New Extension for Front Porch - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: New Extension for Front Porch

I am now considering extending this out to the other end of the porch, on the north side of the house. The decking on that end would only need to be 11'9" to have the 2'6" over lap past the end like this first side. At least that would make for an even roof line all the way across the front of the house, so as not to look quit as lopsided as it is now. I think I still have enough of the 2.5"x1/4" tubing for at least 3 legs of the supports and a whole joint of the 2.5"x1/4" angle iron for the sub frame. When I ordered my roof panels, I ordered 6 but ended up getting 7, so all I would need would be 4 more and I would be covered for the roof over part 2 AND the top section of steps that will come up between the 2 new porch additions. Should I "Go For It" or not? What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    What do you think?
    Around here It would have been cheaper to stick frame the whole thing....

perhaps a bit more aesthetically pleasing as well... Those stairs!!! yikes.

But as long as you are happy..... thats all that matters.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Around here It would have been cheaper to stick frame the whole thing....

perhaps a bit more aesthetically pleasing as well... Those stairs!!! yikes.

But as long as you are happy..... thats all that matters.
    Yeah maybe so, but then I wouldn't have anything to post about on here. Besides, even with PT wood you still need to go back over it every couple of years and treat it with wood preservative to prevent it starting to rot. With the primer and paint I am using it will be many years before it will need another coat. To me the steel is more aesthetically pleasing as it is not as bulky looking as a wood frame would be. There is a link to the stairs build in post #33, if you're interested.

Looks pretty good Bist.

Thanks moto, I'm likin' it too.

Initially I questioned the cantilevered angle iron that supports the floor, rail, and roof. I thought it was too weak. Now that I see you've gone with tin roofing, it's not a real issue. That's a very light roof. It might blow off, but it sure isn't gonna collapse from snow load down there where you're at.

Stairs look just fine. Just be careful when they're wet.

And!!!!!!! CHA CHING!!!!!!!!!! You no longer need a pee gate on the deck...……...just step out on the stairs, and let it dribble (Old guy humor)

Aesthetics is all relative.

I put truck/tractor/machine parts on the clothes dryer, kitchen counter, kitchen floor...…………..etc

K'kins hangs her Granny Panties on the shower curtain rod. (Yeah...we're both gettin' old)

It's a compromise Ain't "Home and Garden" but we do ok with it

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Initially I questioned the cantilevered angle iron that supports the floor, rail, and roof. I thought it was too weak. Now that I see you've gone with tin roofing, it's not a real issue. That's a very light roof. It might blow off, but it sure isn't gonna collapse from snow load down there where you're at.

Stairs look just fine. Just be careful when they're wet.

And!!!!!!! CHA CHING!!!!!!!!!! You no longer need a pee gate on the deck...……...just step out on the stairs, and let it dribble (Old guy humor)
    The stairs are just fine, even when wet. No one has had a problem with that in the years they have been there, so far. Leaves don't accumulate on them in the fall either. They drop right through. The railing is only 36" high, so there was never a need for a pee gate, just go over the top. I guess I have a bit more ground clearance than you in that respect. The tin on the roof is NOT going to blow off, as I used TWICE as many screws as necessary to put it on. Matter of fact, I had to go back to the place I got it for more screws to finish. What's snow load and why should I be concerned with it? If it held me up while putting in all those screws, then any little bit of that white crap I don't like that we get down here will not be a problem.

If fat guy load is good enuff, snow load ain't no problem

Assuming yer fat of course.

Most guys around here, beyond the age of 25, are fat. Combination of short Winters, and lotta fried food.

And, their significant others are on the large economy size too

WalMart on a Summer afternoon...………………...acres of folks gettin' outta their cars with sweat stains the size of Texas...…………..on clothing the size of the USA. Scary

Me, and K'kins, get funny looks, and sometimes a good talkin' to about bein' normal weight.

If fat guy load is good enuff, snow load ain't no problem
    Assuming yer fat of course.

Most guys around here, beyond the age of 25, are fat. Combination of short Winters, and lotta fried food.
    I'm 6'3" and about 255lbs., so about right for my height to weight ratio.

Yer worse than a woman

"Do these pants make me look fat??"

Don't wear horizontal stripe

Name:  itsok.gif
Views: 270
Size:  1.3 KB

This, dear readers, is the culmination of a thread about something 'r other.

It all boils down to whether folks got spare tires, or not.

As I graciously slide off into the sunset...………..

bein' about 6'ish, and weighin' about 150ish

got plans to eat two burgers, and all the fixin's

skinny...….ya...……….but workin' weight...you betcha

My friends gonna be ok at the funeral. Not a ton of weight in a box

Might not really liked me in life, but gonna be grateful I'm a light load on the trip to that hole.

K'kins, on her way out the door, said...……"be nice" I'm tryin'

I'm yer Uncle Bob on steroids

As I graciously slide off into the sunset...………..

bein' about 6'ish, and weighin' about 150ish

got plans to eat two burgers, and all the fixin's

skinny...….ya...……….but workin' weight...you betcha

My friends gonna be ok at the funeral. Not a ton of weight in a box

Might not really liked me in life, but gonna be grateful I'm a light load on the trip to that hole.
    Well Sammy, if you really want to be put in a hole then you had better stay away from this area!!!! cause they won't be digging... maybe plowing or rototilling but no digging

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/05/...an-composting/

Oh and Bistinaeu, very nice work on the extension... always makes a home feel better when you got more space to relax in
    Last edited by ronsii; 06-09-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    I am now considering extending this out to the other end of the porch, on the north side of the house. The decking on that end would only need to be 11'9" to have the 2'6" over lap past the end like this first side. At least that would make for an even roof line all the way across the front of the house, so as not to look quit as lopsided as it is now. Should I "Go For It" or not? What do you think?
    Well after using the new porch section, and really enjoying it, I decided to "go for it" and do the same on the other end to make it all match up, even out the look of it all, and give me more usable space/options on the front porch. So I went today and got more steel to work with. Six joints of 1.5"x1.5" 11 gage tubing, a joint of 2.5"x2.5"x1/4" tubing and a joint of 2.5"x2.5"x 1/4" angle iron. I got it home and cleaned/primed it like I say here to do.
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...ing+your+steel
    While I was in town with my 3/4 ton getting the steel, I also went ahead and got 14 80Lb. sacks of Quik-Crete to set the legs/posts in the ground. So I'm set to get started on this project part 2.Name:  SAM_0966.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  191.5 KBName:  SAM_0967.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  182.4 KBName:  SAM_0968.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  168.4 KBName:  SAM_0969.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  170.6 KB At least the nice balmy temperatures of 97-98* will make the primer dry a little sooner and cure out well before I start working with this new steel. Glad I waited until the hottest month of the year to get started on this. Probably by the time I finish, it will be done cooled off 5-6*.

Oh I never saw part one, nice job. I always wanted a patio outside the master bedroom upstairs but that would require more time and money than I'm willing to spend. Have fun building part 2.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Oh I never saw part one, nice job. I always wanted a patio outside the master bedroom upstairs but that would require more time and money than I'm willing to spend. Have fun building part 2.
    C'mon n2.... you can't take it with you spend some of the $$$ you got buried in the back yard.

Nice work and lots of weld time...Hot Tub time now!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    C'mon n2.... you can't take it with you spend some of the $$$ you got buried in the back yard.
    . Yeah I’m loaded lol.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    . Yeah I’m loaded lol.
    I knew it!!!!!!

You know it's the ones with the most money that look like they don't have a pot to pi$$ in

WOW That would be the day, maybe when pigs fly

N2.... you know pigs have been flying for a long time now... https://www.flypets.com/ along with larger animals... so c'mon already part with some of that wad