New Extension for Front Porch - Page 5
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: New Extension for Front Porch

I figured as much. Like I said, let me know if you need any advice on how to do anything like this. If I know, I will tell you and if I don't I will tell you that too.

Looks great, is it just you doing this or do you have help?

Quote Originally Posted by eeapo View Post
    Looks great, is it just you doing this or do you have help?
    It's all on me, from below ground level all the way to the roof, with one minor exception. When I did the first part, putting on the roof, I did have some help to get the last panel up on top. I think this time I may be able to do that part by myself, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    It's all on me, from below ground level all the way to the roof, with one minor exception. When I did the first part, putting on the roof, I did have some help to get the last panel up on top. I think this time I may be able to do that part by myself, too.
    nice work bistineau. when you diy by yourself you gotta work smart not hard;looks like you did both.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    nice work bistineau. when you diy by yourself you gotta work smart not hard;looks like you did both.
    Thanks Doc, yeah with this hot La. August weather I've found I need to work a little while then rest/cool off for a little while. Don't want to work to the point of heat exhaustion before stopping to cool off & rest. that could shut down work for the rest of the day or longer. But I did manage to get the rest of the decking cut and screwed down as well as getting the 3rd and last corner roof support column in place in the far back corner.Name:  SAM_1004.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  127.7 KBName:  SAM_1005.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  107.3 KB
    I also have all the major roof support pieces cut to size to make the 4 new trusses for this section and the horizontal pieces that go between all the uprights. For now the next phase of the plan is to build the handrails between all the uprights on 3 sides to prevent someone(me) from falling off the edge. That first step is a doozy. I went ahead and removed the original handrails, too, so I can now walk straight out onto this new deck. Late this afternoon just before sunset, I took a chair and a beer out there to enjoy it and take in the new view angle from this perspective. I'll get a pic of that later.

I cut out, drilled(3/8" holes) then welded in these 12 tabs for the railing mounts to the roof support columns today. I used 1/4" steel to make the tabs, welded to the 1.5"x1.5"x 11 gage tubing.Name:  SAM_1010.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  69.8 KB
    I also cut all the 2x2 wooden pickets(I think) to make the railings with, using my 14" Dewalt abrasive chop saw outfitted with a 12" table saw blade to cut them to length and then put a 45* miter on one end of each. Then I pre-started 2 screws into each picket, one on each end to make assembly easier when I start making the rails.Name:  SAM_1011.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  125.9 KB
    Any of y'all ever use a wood cutting blade in you chop saw? the last pic was SUPPOSED to be the chop saw, but somehow got screwed up in the process. It all got coated with 2 heaping helpings of primer before I called it done for today.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

No but I bought a Ryobi sliding compound miter saw several years ago for $30 that had a new blade on it when I got it.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

I got the 3 sets of handrails completed today, so now I can get back to some of the welding on this thread, so y'all won't be thinking I am trying to turn this into Wooden Web instead of Welding Web. But then, I'm not the first to combine wood & steel in the same project on here.Name:  SAM_1012.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  124.5 KBName:  SAM_1013.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  103.7 KB
    Now I need to make 3 more trusses like I did on the other part.Name:  SAM_0915.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  149.3 KB
    And one more to fit where the roof lines will intersect. For a total of 4 to cover this new section of porch.

Getting it done. Looking great and making lots of progress.

I see those clamps got a healthy coat of primer too, makes a decent (although probably toxic) anti spatter .

As stated previously I love the look of wood and metal together, so I don't mind the "coloring outside the lines" material use wise!

I didn't prime the C clamps, they were red when I bought them new. They have just faded some over the years so they now look a closer shade of color to the primer.

I just thought I would share with y'all a little bit of the detail work I did when making the top/cap rail for the porch. At the corners I used a short piece of tubing to mark my cut lines and followed them as best I could with a jig saw to follow the contours to give it a wrap around effect. Then rounded the outside corners to smooth it all out. I plan to fill in the remaining gaps with some wood filler and sand smooth to blend it all in, to make it as seamless as I can.Name:  SAM_1015.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  88.2 KBName:  SAM_1016.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  85.8 KBName:  SAM_1017.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  75.9 KB

I also did the same thing on the other sections of handrails, I just did not post anything about it though.Name:  SAM_1018.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  94.7 KBName:  SAM_1019.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  71.3 KB

I also spent some time today to drill and cut out 45 1.5"x3/16" angle iron tabs, to be used when I make the new roof trusses to attach the 2x2 laths the roof panels will be screwed down to.

Looking good

And.... rememeber, putty is your buddy

I made some more progress on this today. I cut and prepped the last of the small pieces I need to make the roof trusses, and got the mainest part of 3 out of 4 of them welded up . The plan for tomorrow is to weld up the 4th truss, add the lathe tabs to all of them, cap all the ends of the tubing, wire cup brush all the welded areas and apply primer, hopefully 2 coats. If I get all of that accomplished, I can consider it a productive weekend. Depending on how soon I get the first coat of primer on, maybe I can start adding the horizontal roof supports and corner bracing while waiting on the primer to dry. Then this coming week when I get home from work I can put on primer or paint where needed, in the evenings, with a beer in one hand. More pix & updates tomorrow as I move along with this.

Update, I didn't get as much done as I had hoped to last weekend, but I got the trusses completed this past weekend. They now have 2 coats of primer on them, in addition to the pre-prime coat. So now I can start to get the 2 topcoats on before I put them in place. Easier to paint them on the saw horses than doing it up on a ladder after install.Name:  SAM_1022.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  85.0 KBName:  SAM_1025.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  157.3 KBName:  SAM_1027.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  165.7 KB
    I also got the long horizontal piece in between the 2 uprights in place. Not welded in completely, but it is up there none the less. I'm also going to run another one over to tie in to the other section already completed so it will be all one unit across the front when done. Before I started on that part though, I had to add a support under the long handrail section, as it had a sag to it. I had already figured that would happen and I would need to address the issue. No pix of it, but maybe I will get one later. The rail is now straight with no sag or bow to it.

Nice!!!, looks like you're getting a lot done

I wish I could get even ten percent of what you get done working on the shop when I get home from work....

All I did today on it was apply primer to 3 sides of the trusses. Tomorrow I will flip them and get the remaining side. Then on to the top coats and start painting the lathe strips that go between to screw the tin to. I'll wait for the weekend again to do some more welding.

I now have 2 coats of primer on the 4 new trusses and almost have 2 coats of top coat paint on them, too. Finish that up tomorrow and finish welding out the horizontal roof support & corner braces to accept them. Then I will need to remove the sheathing from the inside of the porch gables to find where the studs are and see what I need to do in there to attach the trusses and also to move the other column over a couple of feet after removing the half column. I didn't see any need to include pix, as the new trusses with paint look just like the others with paint on them. It's getting there, slowly but surely. Maybe next weekend I can be putting the roof panels on.

Over this past weekend, I removed the sheathing on the inside of the gable on the end I am working on, to expose the studs/framing. I need to add some studs where the new trusses will bolt on as well as work on the area where I am going to remove a column and make a new one a few feet over. It appears there was a column originally where I want the new one, but it was cut down and made into a half column. I was planning on bracing up the gable with the roof jacks I used previously, cut the other column free, move it over and re-attach it. Finding this unexpected framing already in place, I decided to go ahead and build the new column since I has enough material to do it, before removing the existing column.Name:  SAM_1029.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  112.9 KBName:  SAM_1030.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  104.7 KB
    I also got 3 of the new trusses put up, so now I can see what adjustments I need to make on the last one to fit where it needs to go. Once I get that done and get it primed and painted good, I can put it in place. I ordered the roof panels today and plan on picking them up Friday. So maybe I can be putting some of that up soon.

Looking good! How you been?

Still working at the locks?
    Millermatic 211
    PowerPlasma 50s

A little update on this project. Over last weekend I got the last roof truss up and in place, the other column removed and the framing above it all reinforced to handle the load. I also rolled back the roofing a little on the other part so I could weld in 5 new lath tabs to the roof truss next to the stairs. All the laths got cut to size and coated twice with Rustoleum paint. I just finished getting the last of them screwed into place, by the time I was done it was about too dark to get a decent picture, so that will come later. But at least I have gotten to the point that I can start putting roof panels on, although tomorrow's forecast calls for a cold front to move through bringing wind gusts of 25-30 MPH, so it may not be a good day to be handling those panels. Saturday looks like it may be better for that, but maybe I can get some of them up before the front arrives, time will tell. Closing in on getting this project wrapped up though. After the roof is completed, I just need to button back up the studs/framing on the inside of the gable end and paint the handrails and other parts of the support structure, along with adding the electrical circuit. I didn't think this would drag out quite this long when I first started, but then I also didn't plan on adding this other part to it originally, but I will be glad to have it from now on, I'm sure.

coming out great Bistineau, you definitely are putting the overtime in and getting it done on this one.

I Admire your dedication to coating everything before rust even has a chance to get a bite. It's sure to pay off in the long run, especially where metal meets wood and rust streaking can/will occur.

Everyone that has any summer house projects still pending is racing right at this time to "get the roof up" before the real weather rolls in.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    I Admire your dedication to coating everything before rust even has a chance to get a bite.
    I don't enjoy having to deal with rust(but sometimes you got to) so I prefer to stop it BEFORE it can start. On this project, in addition to the pre-prime coat, all the metal get's TWO coats of Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer, then two coats of Rustoleum paint for top coat. The wood that get's painted, get 2 coats of Rustoleum with no primer.

I managed to get 4 of the 6 new roof panels on today and screwed down. The first 3 were straight up, just lay'em down, line'em up and screw'em down. They butt up against the siding of the house, easy enough. The 4th one butts up to the fascia board, so I had to cut off 8 1/2" from it, just a straight cut across with a 4.5" zip wheel. I ran a bead of silicone on each overlapping rib to help seal that up and prevent rain leaks there. The first 3 pix are what it looked like when I started this morning. You can see in the 2nd one, that other column is gone now.Name:  SAM_1046.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  238.3 KBName:  SAM_1048.jpg
Size:  135.4 KBName:  SAM_1049.jpg
Size:  189.8 KB
    I was mostly working off a ladder to get this done, but I couldn't quite reach all the way across the panel to drive in the screws, so I did what I could with each one and moved on to the next one. Once I got the 4th one on I decided I needed to get on the roof and drive in the rest of the screws on them. Denim don't get good traction on new steel roof panels with a slight pitch. I got the rest of the screws in on the upper sections of the panels, slipping a little every now and then down hill, but catching it and moving back up. I was saving putting in the screws on the lower laths until last, I got some of them in and at one point the bit driver got loose in my drill and started to fall out. When I went to grab it my foot shifted a bit and bumped my bag of screws and they slid off the roof. I did catch the bit and put it back in the drill, but now had to climb back down to get the screws. Once down off the roof I checked the time, almost 5 o'clock, so I decided to call it good for today before I was the next to slide off the roof. Time for a beer(s). and call it good enough for today.