Rolling Tubular Handrail
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Rolling Tubular Handrail

Has anyone bent or rolled tubular handrail like this?
    I've got a customer that wants a rail a lot like this one, helix and all. How do I make the radius and slope with this tubing? Or should I just use regular cap rail?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Re: Rolling Tubular Handrail

What handrail

I think you'd need a custom bender with rollers and support rollers to match the profile.. and maybe fill it with sand or something... or a lot of heat and a lot of time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    What handrail

I think you'd need a custom bender with rollers and support rollers to match the profile.. and maybe fill it with sand or something... or a lot of heat and a lot of time!!!
    That's what I'm afraid of, it hopefully someone on here has done it or something similar

Solid caprail would be best choice without a way to roll the tubular cap.

Bending in general takes time and much patience. Especially, if you use heat. Heat will assist in rapid failure without much patience.

I use an american (exact hossfeld clone) bender with edge bending dies. I have their cap bending dies also, I prefer the edge dies. That bender is my preferred method for items that are not actual rings.

A helix is not a ring stretched out...it is actually more elliptical. Thus you don't get it with a roller unless you have an attachment to roll a helix. One reason cheaper rollers are useless for bending anything other than perfect rings.

Make templates and record everything if info if building off site, especially.

Good luck. Charge like you know what you are doing.

Expect some waste, more waste with more parts. My bender produces less waste than my either of my rollers. Roll in short manageable (<10 to 12 feet) sections learn to blend welds sell. Mock it up in your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Solid caprail would be best choice without a way to roll the tubular cap.

Bending in general takes time and much patience. Especially, if you use heat. Heat will assist in rapid failure without much patience.

I use an american (exact hossfeld clone) bender with edge bending dies. I have their cap bending dies also, I prefer the edge dies. That bender is my preferred method for items that are not actual rings.

A helix is not a ring stretched out...it is actually more elliptical. Thus you don't get it with a roller unless you have an attachment to roll a helix. One reason cheaper rollers are useless for bending anything other than perfect rings.

Make templates and record everything if info if building off site, especially.

Good luck. Charge like you know what you are doing.

Expect some waste, more waste with more parts. My bender produces less waste than my either of my rollers. Roll in short manageable (<10 to 12 feet) sections learn to blend welds sell. Mock it up in your shop.
    Thanks for your help, I think I can get away with using normal molded caprail. How do you go about getting the helix? I assume you bend the radius first, then you spin it 90 degrees and bend the helix?

I twist it with f-bars I made for cap rail.

I did a spiral stair last summer the cap was 1" square turned 90 degrees from flat(diamond). It was a bear to twist(helix) and difficult to figure where to twist to keep it uniform and align with the other sections.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 04-25-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Wow that does sound like a pain, could you post a picture of the f bar? I really like that idea!

A helix is helical not eliptical. If you roll to the flat diameter of the helix, then you usually end up having to open the material as you stretch it. Also the helix take more material than the circle