Hydraulic Hose Crimping Machine..anybody build one - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hydraulic Hose Crimping Machine..anybody build one

Not an answer but maybe an alternative for you: I ran a large fleet with lots of hydraulics, there were 2 hose shops within a mile but between long waits at the counter and after hours breakdowns I switched to a mobile hose outfit, no personal affiliation,
    https://www.pirtekusa.com/
    Its a national chain of franchises so there may be one near you. They would show up right away and make exactly what I needed and it ended up being much more efficient. The one I used gave me a great pricing tier both to get me on board and the size of my fleet.

dealt with pirtek in the past.nice people and hose but their prices are exorbitant.
    no fleet or tier pricing for me as it was just a one time thing on 1 machine only.

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    dealt with pirtek in the past.nice people and hose but their prices are exorbitant.
    no fleet or tier pricing for me as it was just a one time thing on 1 machine only.
    Yep, we've run into them around here... They definitely sell themselves as a premium service provider 😋 we've had them make hoses at their fixed location and it wasn't too bad same with their fittings. They'll also show up on jobsites and hand out cards, like anything it's worth it if you need it sooner than later...

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    This ^^^^. Yes. The dies on Ebay are about 80 each for series 400 stuff. The rings are about 40 (my list only needs one). The bowl is about 80.
    Disclaimer: Once I get my machine up and running I am not making hoses for profit to sell. This is just for me in house.
    Yes Surplus center is great but I hate to wait. I also hate to drive to hyd places to get stuff made. The most recent local place I was too had dumb and dumber behind the counter. It took me 30 minutes to get one 37 degree to ORB fitting whopping $8.00 sale. I like to keep all my in house.

Your reasoning and research has been the same as mine. It is the
    convenience that really tips the scale. Pics above are the parts I have been assembling. All eBay buys. Your prices sound right, I think I paid a little more for the 1/2” die since it was NOS in the box.

As the guy you quoted said, just use a press. I would not piss with a custom setup for weatherhead dies. The crimp to measure types would require a special setup and seem to have a better following, but the crimp to stop weatherhead style is stupid simple and can be done in most shop presses. Also the U fitting are about the cheapest to stock.

Don’t take my pics as a recipe, I am thinking I need a different size top die per the massive chart you referenced for one of the hose sizes I am set for or maybe a pusher. I have not used these yet, I bought them over the winter after finishing a couple hydraulic projects in the fall and got frustrated trying to make it to the bankers hours parts stores.

This post has reinvigorated my interest. I’ll pick up some hose and fittings next payday and post up results and dust off my research. Weatherhead actually sold a shop press kit at one time, that is where I got the part numbers, I am sure others have experience with this setup too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think some of the hydraulic hoses are expensive, try Parker's coastguard approved fuel hose. 221FR >$25 a foot for #12.

We spend so much with them these days though that they dont charge crimp fees anymore. Hell the workers use our account as the friends and family discount, until they mis-ring it as account charge instead of cash and we get a bill we are not supposed to get.

The parker machines are very nice, but nothing special. Just a hydraulic press with a nice viewing opening. Almost got one, but we mostly use SS tubing and oring face seal instead of hose these days except for vibration isolation.
    Multimatic 200
    Ellis 1800
    Haberle S225 9" cold saw
    MM 300; Spoolmate 30A w/ WC-24
    TB 302G
    Dynasty 280 DX Tigrunner