Jumpstarting with a CV welder?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Jumpstarting with a CV welder?

I had a thought. Can you dial your CV generator to ~12v, throw your ground on one battery terminal and your stinger on the other, will it effectively jumpstart a piece of equipment? Or is this just a creative way of exploding a battery in your face?
    ═══════════════════════════════════════════

Re: Jumpstarting with a CV welder?

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Fab View Post
    I had a thought. Can you dial your CV generator to ~12v, throw your ground on one battery terminal and your stinger on the other, will it effectively jumpstart a piece of equipment? Or is this just a creative way of exploding a battery in your face?
    i believe car battery voltage is between 12 and 14 volts. i have charged a dead battery at 14 volts and after 5 or 10 minutes there was enough in battery to start the car. got to watch welding machine. if battery is accepting hundreds of amps you can overheat welding machine. i believe if that happens you lower voltage to 13.5 volts or low enough volts the amp draw is not so much.
    either way got to be careful. quite easy to damage something. i would monitor things. not leave it alone for any length of time. car batteries can overheat too. not good if battery exploded spraying acid all over the place.
    a battery charger is meant to do automatically without damaging stuff. a welding machine does not have the safety devices built in for battery charging like a normal battery charger

i'm not sure if it's cv or cc but iirc seeing someone at the fab shop start a truck with a dead battery using the electrode and ground clamp from a running sa200 mounted in back.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    i'm not sure if it's cv or cc but iirc seeing someone at the fab shop start a truck with a dead battery using the electrode and ground clamp from a running sa200 mounted in back.
    Good point doc, on cc the open circuit voltage at low end is around 40 volts for sa200 If I remember but, closed circuit should drop enuf to start a truck. I would stand back tho.

Iirc, a member here was asked to jump start a dead locomotive but he declined because he only had a Miller.