Needing complete Tig torch and lead assembly for Rebel EMP 215ic
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Needing complete Tig torch and lead assembly for Rebel EMP 215ic

New member here. Also, new to Tig welding (only mig and stick before)
    Picked up a super nice Rebel 215ic EMP at a good price.
    The prior owner misplaced or lost the Tig torch lead (i think in a move).
    So, I looked on ESAB website and although they list many torch choices I dont see the comple lead with torch.
    It also is not listed in the parts manual.
    Does anyone here know where I can obtain a new identical like the one it came with or a replacement equilavent.
    Thanks

Re: Needing complete Tig torch and lead assembly for Rebel EMP 215ic

Welcome to the forum, there is a ton of info to be had here. I have purchaced from USAWeld.com, service is great. Airgas would be a local source or LWS.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Thanks, I have a lot to learn. First I obviously need to also get 220v in my garage. The Rebel didnt like the push on voltage at 110v and shut down locking it out (error 3 or something like that about voltage). I simply restarted and lowered voltage and restarted practicing with the splattery flux wire that was on welder when I got it from guy. I just couldnt wait to try it out as I wait for some consumables to get here.
    Its a nice welder and I am sure I really gonna enjoy it as I get better and more acquainted with it.
    I really cant wait to learn to tig. Im retired now and its a shame I didnt learn this when I was a younger guy.
    Im trying to weigh whether to rent/lease a mix for Mig or get Argon for Tig. Dont want to rent two bottles. LoL
    Once again I appreciate the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNOhio View Post
    Thanks, I have a lot to learn. First I obviously need to also get 220v in my garage. The Rebel didnt like the push on voltage at 110v and shut down locking it out (error 3 or something like that about voltage). I simply restarted and lowered voltage and restarted practicing with the splattery flux wire that was on welder when I got it from guy. I just couldnt wait to try it out as I wait for some consumables to get here.
    Its a nice welder and I am sure I really gonna enjoy it as I get better and more acquainted with it.
    I really cant wait to learn to tig. Im retired now and its a shame I didnt learn this when I was a younger guy.
    Im trying to weigh whether to rent/lease a mix for Mig or get Argon for Tig. Dont want to rent two bottles. LoL
    Once again I appreciate the welcome.
    Let me make a suggestion on cylinders, just buy a couple of 80 or 150's with the gas you want. I think leasing is a waste of money. You can find some deals on Craigslist or call your LWS, you will want a c25 and argon for what you are doing, spend a little money up front and save long term. If you ever did get out of the welding gig the cylinders will always have good resale value.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    Let me make a suggestion on cylinders, just buy a couple of 80 or 150's with the gas you want. I think leasing is a waste of money. You can find some deals on Craigslist or call your LWS, you will want a c25 and argon for what you are doing, spend a little money up front and save long term. If you ever did get out of the welding gig the cylinders will always have good resale value.
    Good input and much appreciated.

If the EMP 215ic is anything like the EMP 285ic I have, you will need either a torch mounted button or a foot pedal to activate the lift arc, otherwise nothing happens.

Here is the ESAB TIG torch with push button that is called out, in the manual of my EMP 285ic:

0558102493 TIG Torch: TXH™ 201, 4 m (12 ft.) TIG torch c/w 8-pin plug

And here is the foot pedal called out in the same manual, for a non push button torch:

W4014450 Foot control: Contactor on/off and current control with 4.5 m (15 ft.) cable and 8-pin male plug

Hopefully those tid bits will get you on your way to ordering the torch you need.

I elected to use the CK Worldwide Torch(17series) I already had, and purchase an ESAB/Tweco foot pedal since the 285ic came with neither.

I am fairly happy with this setup, however, I do not have access to the pre-programing of the up slope or down slope of amperage. Only the pre and post flow of gas, and the ability to press the foot pedal down to activate and let off the foot pedal to get out of the arc (normal foot pedal action). For those out of position welds where a foot pedal is inconvenient to use, it would be nice to use the foot pedal like a torch mounted switch. But for all other TIG welding I prefer normal foot pedal action.

So far my biggest complaint, which isn't much of a complaint in reality.

One benefit to having the foot pedal is that you can use it while stick welding. However, I have only been able to use it to adjust the full range of amperage, (0 to 285 amps). And not the range from zero to the the amperage I have set the machine too. Which is totally usable, but will take some experimenting to get the feel for it. If any one knows how to set the foot pedal control, to range from zero to the set amperage I am all ears.
    Just say, Know.

Thanks for the links and input. I sent an email to ESAB this weekend so, hopefully they will respond this week if they can supply me (on my dime) with the oem Tweco (as I understand) torch torch it came with. I knew I could go with a aftermarket but really wanted to just get started with what it originally came with. I heard its bulkier then some like but, just thought I might give it a go.
    Thanks for chiming in.

Out of curiosity, which drive rollers came with your machine?
    Just say, Know.

It came with three a knurled for flux core, then a .023-.030 & .023-.035

Interesting.

I thought mine came with a set of .035-.030 knurled, so I bought a cheap crummy 10 lb roll of Weldcote's flux cored in .030(DO NOT RECOMMEND), and a not so cheap 33lb roll of Lincoln's Outershield in .035. When I got home I realized I was mistaken. In reality it came with a smooth set of .030-.035, a smooth set of .035-.045, and a set of knurled .052-.1/16". When I called my LWS they said the smooth rollers should work just fine for both. But a couple of extreme birds nests, wrapped around my drive gears, says otherwise. So another $50 later, has the proper set of knurled rollers headed my way.
    Just say, Know.

ESAB was extremely fast in replying to me via email.
    They informed me the Tweco part number for the original Tig Torch is W4013802. It actually comes as a kit just like it did when the welder came.
    So, I got one ordered.
    Hope this might help someone else in the event they run into the same situation.