Hydrofluoric Acid-WARNING
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hydrofluoric Acid-WARNING

"This extremely corrosive acid is formed when certain types of synthetic rubber, found in some O-rings,oil seals, fuel hoses etc. are exposed to temperatures above 750 degrees F (400 degrees C). The rubber changes into a charred or sticky substance containing the acid. Once formed the acid remains dangerous for years. If it gets onto the skin, it may be necessary to amputate the limb concerned.
    When dealing with a vehicle which has suffered a fire, or with components salvaged from such a vehicle, wear protective gloves and discard them after use."

The above is a quote from a Chilton's manual. I had never heard of this, perhaps others are also blissfully unaware.
    ---Meltedmetal

Re: Hydrofluoric Acid-WARNING

WTF? While the above is basically true it's also an extreme over exaggeration IMO. I've worked with thousands of electronic items and test equipment that were stored in this kind of foam and I've cleaned up hundreds and hundreds of them when the foam disintegrated and turned into sticky mess. The foam does deteriorate and releases TRACE amounts of HF acid and it will attack everything including gold and nickel plating but the HF doesn't build up and I've never encountered anything that had enough of it to smell, feel or detect in any normal fashion.

"If it gets onto the skin, it may be necessary to amputate the limb concerned." LOL! Maybe if you jumped into a vat of HF acid but PURE BS under the circumstances that they're talking about.

"Once formed the acid remains dangerous for years." More BS! The stuff is so dammed reactive that it even reacts with gold, glass and most stainless steels. Consequently it doesn't remain around for long.

They have that same warning in the Detroit Diesel manuals. I rebuilt a burned front end loader some years back and all disassembly of components was done with heavy rubber gloves and steam cleaning. I doubt we saw any of the acid but it was better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    WTF? While the above is basically true it's also an extreme over exaggeration IMO. I've worked with thousands of electronic items and test equipment that were stored in this kind of foam and I've cleaned up hundreds and hundreds of them when the foam disintegrated and turned into sticky mess. The foam does deteriorate and releases TRACE amounts of HF acid and it will attack everything including gold and nickel plating but the HF doesn't build up and I've never encountered anything that had enough of it to smell, feel or detect in any normal fashion.

"If it gets onto the skin, it may be necessary to amputate the limb concerned." LOL! Maybe if you jumped into a vat of HF acid but PURE BS under the circumstances that they're talking about.

"Once formed the acid remains dangerous for years." More BS! The stuff is so dammed reactive that it even reacts with gold, glass and most stainless steels. Consequently it doesn't remain around for long.
    Both you and the OP are about equally wrong.

Perhaps I'm just not familiar with the product, but for starters, I've never heard of fluorinated foams. Bromine (another halogen, which is highly corrosive, but is not nearly as dangerous) is used in trace amounts as a fire retardant in many foams, and HBr can be found in foam that is breaking down, but not HF so far as I know.

Cars use fluorinated rubber materials in many materials that come into contact with fuel. Particularly viton rubber (which would include any o-rings in the fuel system), and the liner of fuel injection hose. Perfluorinated materials are found in many other places (such as the lubricant on many runroof rails and seals), and Teflon falls into that category as well. Any perfluorinated compound can release its fluorine to the atmosphere if heated sufficiently, and the dangers of burning teflon are not to be underestimated. It is about comparable to the dangers of accidentally creating phosgene by exposing chlorinated cleaners to heat and UV (welding). Then again, perfluorinated lubricants are also used in commercial Bunn coffee makers, mechanical watches, and even pinewood derby cars, and in all those places, I've never seen any warnings about the dangers of such materials, for the simple reason that so little is used, that any fluorine released would be negligible. For that matter, the smoke from such a fire would be just as bad as the minimal amount of fluorine.

Still, you don't need to jump into a vat of HF for amputation to make sense. Just a few drops of the real deal on your arm would be sufficient. The problem is that while the fluorine is incredibly reactive, it is not rapidly used up. Just a tiny amount can work its way through your cells, until it eventually starts to dissolve your bones. It's not healthy stuff. No, a few gallons will not dissolve a body (a-la Breaking Bad), but that doesn't mean you should let yourself be exposed to HF.

We're all going to die!!!!!!!

Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

I wanted a mission and for my sins, they gave me one. - Captain Benjamin L. Willard

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    OMG.... I had never heard of this stuff. Thanks for the link, and making me wonder how much of this I have in my shop, if at all.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Crazy stuff! Never knew.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    OMG.... I had never heard of this stuff. Thanks for the link, and making me wonder how much of this I have in my shop, if at all.
    Careful T man!!! Most of of take safety for granted in our shops.... another chemical you probably have lying around is DiHydrogen Monoxide it kills hundreds of people every year... I use it all the time but take reasonable precautions...

baking soda or sodium bicarbonate neutralizes acid, even windex ammonium water is used to neutralize acid etching pen writing
    as for overheating i would worry about fumes. breathing fluorides which is usually in 7018 flux and stainless stick rod flux is not good to breath either

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Careful T man!!! Most of of take safety for granted in our shops.... another chemical you probably have lying around is DiHydrogen Monoxide it kills hundreds of people every year... I use it all the time but take reasonable precautions...
    they only die if fully submerged for a long period of time without any breathing apparatus..............................

i worked for a waterproofing/restoration company that used hydrofluoric acid to clean the masonry facades of buildings from hanging scaffolds. iirc it was stored in wax 20 gallon casks. i remember the guys wearing rubber gloves,heavy rain gear,face and eye protection and rubber boots as they pressure washed the walls. to compensate for any risk they were paid a little extra an hour.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

I've used HF in a lab in a past life and always with proper PPE. Sometimes rubber gloves just rip and I've gotten fingertips wet. I was always quick to wash them, especially around fingernails and suffered no ill effects. I heard the the horror stories about getting HF under your nails, so you do want to be careful around the stuff. Still the amount released from burning O-rings is probably nanogram amounts. I'm more worried about crossing the street and getting hit by a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G View Post
    ... Still the amount released from burning O-rings is probably nanogram amounts. I'm more worried about crossing the street and getting hit by a car.
    Agreed. The actual huge quantities of smoke from an active fire, and the massive mounts of residue left behind a fire are both the more dangerous than the infinitesimally small amount of HF that could possibly be present.

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    Whink Rust Stain Remover is a household product that contains it. Personally, I'd suggest steering clear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    baking soda or sodium bicarbonate neutralizes acid, even windex ammonium water is used to neutralize acid etching pen writing...
    This is VERY WRONG, and shows a clear misunderstanding of the dangers of HF! HF is a weak acid, and neutralizing the hydronium ion is not going to make it any safer, when it is the fluorine ion that is the danger.

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    i worked for a waterproofing/restoration company that used hydrofluoric acid to clean the masonry facades of buildings from hanging scaffolds. iirc it was stored in wax 20 gallon casks. i remember the guys wearing rubber gloves,heavy rain gear,face and eye protection and rubber boots as they pressure washed the walls. to compensate for any risk they were paid a little extra an hour.
    BS. HydroCHLORIC acid, aka HCl is used for masonry cleaning. HF is never used on masonry, and if it were, the fumes would leave the building's windows frosted due to etching.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    Agreed. The actual huge quantities of smoke from an active fire, and the massive mounts of residue left behind a fire are both the more dangerous than the infinitesimally small amount of HF that could possibly be present.

Whink Rust Stain Remover is a household product that contains it. Personally, I'd suggest steering clear of it.

This is VERY WRONG, and shows a clear misunderstanding of the dangers of HF! HF is a weak acid, and neutralizing the hydronium ion is not going to make it any safer, when it is the fluorine ion that is the danger.

BS. HydroCHLORIC acid, aka HCl is used for masonry cleaning. HF is never used on masonry, and if it were, the fumes would leave the building's windows frosted due to etching.
    riltman; i don't know from ions and flourine as my experience is firsthand and not out of a book. about three seconds of google research shows my memory of thirty plus years ago was correct. thanks. i did however learn something new; it's also used in the solution car wash's use also with no fogging of automobile windows.
    Last edited by docwelder; 04-30-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

I used to work for a silicon wafer manufacturer. There were vats of the stuff to clean the wafers. If it is in any way possible to avoid interaction with it, I would recommend doing so. It's nasty stuff. I'd rather get splashed by an exploding automotive type battery than ever work around hydrofluoric acid again.