Something fishy at Harbor Freight........
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Something fishy at Harbor Freight........

Two days ago, I went to HF to buy the Vulcan Omnipro 220 welder (after reading all about it here). I received a coupon showing it to be on sale for $879.00. (good through April 28th, Sunday). It's normally $949.00 I thought this was a pretty good deal so I decided to get one. I got to the store and took the ticket from the welder. I handed it to the cashier and he promptly told me they didn't have any in stock. I asked him if he could check with the stores in the city and see if they had any. He typed a little then said no one within a hundred miles had one. I asked if they would honor the coupon when a welder came in. He said he couldn't make that decision. I asked for the manager, who came to the front quickly. The manager was acting like he was about to get into a fist fight. He was fidgety and his voice was cracking. I asked him if they would honor the coupon when a welder came in. He said "no, it's only good until the 28th". I asked him when he expected to get the welders in stock. He said 4 to 6 weeks. I asked if it was common practice to issue coupons and not have the item in stock. He literally just stood there looking at me for a short time then said "if we don't have one then the warehouse doesn't have one". I left.

The next day, Monday the 29th, I called the same HF and asked if they had the welder in stock. They said "yes, we have two in stock". I also called two of the stores in the city and both said they have the welder in stock.

Is this a typical HF problem? Is it HF policy or was it just this one store? Seems underhanded to me.

Re: Something fishy at Harbor Freight........

Call the main customer service number.

I haven't had any bad experiences at HF.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
    1-800-444-3353
    Monday thru Sunday
    6am to 6pm (PT)
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I have found that the harbor freight stores are pretty good with customer service, like stated above complain to customer service about that store, also you can order it online and shipping is only $6.95 or should be and the coupon code goes right in, then it will be shipped to you and any issues the store must help you, as it is their product..every business has a$$hole employees..and im going by your side of the story that you didnt do something to piss them off first....

The several stores around here (Northern California) that I visit, depending on where a project is located, have decent customer service it the request is simple, familiar.

But if clerks have to consult with management or other clerks then it reveals short tempers, a hurry-up atmosphere, likely anxiety over getting fired for something simple. I think I found the cause: I was in the Santa Rosa store when a team from Headquarters visited. The leader was brutal in criticizing the manager on duty over trivial issues and pretty clearly was showing the other members of his visiting team 'This is how you have to talk to them!" It was ugly to watch. If that's the corporate culture Camarillo is spreading down through the organization, its not surprising you got that blank stare when you asked when the re-stock would arrive. He may have been afraid to speak for HF.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

I agree with you guys. I've always had good experiences with HF employees and most of the products. The manager wasn't rude or inappropriate, so I don't have any complaint about him. I do find it interesting that they didn't have any welders when the coupons were good, but had an abundance of them the day after the coupon expired. Have any of you experienced this before? Maybe I'm just being a little to cynical, but it seems like quite a coincidence.

Next time ask for the welder or item in question before you present the sale coupon. Sounds like the answer if it was in stock was no if they had to sell it with a discount. Weird but possible I suppose.
    Ernie F.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    The several stores around here (Northern California) that I visit, depending on where a project is located, have decent customer service it the request is simple, familiar.

But if clerks have to consult with management or other clerks then it reveals short tempers, a hurry-up atmosphere, likely anxiety over getting fired for something simple. I think I found the cause: I was in the Santa Rosa store when a team from Headquarters visited. The leader was brutal in criticizing the manager on duty over trivial issues and pretty clearly was showing the other members of his visiting team 'This is how you have to talk to them!" It was ugly to watch. If that's the corporate culture Camarillo is spreading down through the organization, its not surprising you got that blank stare when you asked when the re-stock would arrive. He may have been afraid to speak for HF.
    If this is how corporate handles managers it's a piss poor way to do it in front of customers and other employees!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Quote Originally Posted by Ivar View Post
    I agree with you guys. I've always had good experiences with HF employees and most of the products. The manager wasn't rude or inappropriate, so I don't have any complaint about him. I do find it interesting that they didn't have any welders when the coupons were good, but had an abundance of them the day after the coupon expired. Have any of you experienced this before? Maybe I'm just being a little to cynical, but it seems like quite a coincidence.
    could have been a bunch of people waited for the coupon and they sold out, they probably only stock so many welders when coupons come out to get people in the store...nothing different from any other store when they put big ticket items on sale, but you always have the option of ordering online and using your coupon , most of the time they are never out of stock online, and it doesnt matter about service or return, just goto any store if you bought online..

More than likely the promos and coupons come right out of corporate headquarters cold turkey, the locals stores just 'deal with it' the best they can. Some probably deal with it better than others.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

hf usually has good customer service at the stores.
    most managers will quite often surpass the coupon or discount price just to move the item out of the store if they feel like you're about to walk away without purchasing.they have a lot of leeway in discounting items.
    calling the 800 number always gets you great pricing if you just ask for a bigger discount than advertised.

With over 1000 stores now I am sure not every employee is on his or her game. I have found the females to be the ones with the knowledge. There are some hidden gems at HF and the employees seem clueless.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

its not unheard of for an employee to hold back a item on sale cause friends or family are going to buy it. so it could be in the store but somebody already going to pick it up soon or buy it

I’ve never had a bad experience beyond only one cashier and seemingly 15 people in line. (Only seems to be at one of the 2 stores near me) on the good experience side, yesterday I went and there were no email coupons for what I was buying and had left my mail catalog 20% off coupon on the counter and the cashier figured out if she signed me up for their Inside Track club she could save me $10 over the extra cost of joining.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post
    ... cashier figured out if she signed me up for their Inside Track club she could save me $10 over the extra cost of joining.
    Your cashiers are kinder than here. I was refused when I tried to use the $10 discount for joining ITC, in that same visit.

I was told the discount couldn't be used the same day I joined.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Your cashiers are kinder than here. I was refused when I tried to use the $10 discount for joining ITC, in that same visit.

I was told the discount couldn't be used the same day I joined.
    Somebody is full of chit, I went in a couple of months ago and bought their $389.00 drain machine and was offered the inside track membership again and told it would knock about 90 bucks off the cost AFTER the membership was paid for, enough incentive to pick up an extra cable for it. The only thing I've found is that you have to watch to see if sale price are a sale or an IT club thing.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I'm not a big fan of HF- I'll go once a year- and only one nearby so I don't have much to go on. 2 years ago when I did a end of year spend down I struck up a conversation with the cashier. She seemed articulate and intelligent, she said works there PT, recently retired from a Fortune 1000 company, HF is OK to work for but she said they has some policies and practices that are "bizarre and counterproductive", started to elaborate with "things such as changing policy on returns...", then caught herself with "it's a nice company" as if I might be a mystery shopper or inside shopper. It seems maybe the part of the problem with so many PT employees the "memo" doesn't get to everybody right away.
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    ...started to elaborate with "things such as changing policy on returns...", then caught herself with "it's a nice company" as if I might be a mystery shopper
    Do your cashiers wear a mic and earplug headphone so they are constantly in touch with one another? That seems to limit what they are willing to say!

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Somebody is full of chit, I went in a couple of months ago and bought their $389.00 drain machine and was offered the inside track membership again and told it would knock about 90 bucks off the cost AFTER the membership was paid for, enough incentive to pick up an extra cable for it. The only thing I've found is that you have to watch to see if sale price are a sale or an IT club thing.
    here ya guys go. track club 4 free plus other coupons. https://www.hfqpdb.com/gallery/itc

BUT WHAT DO YOU MEAN ABouT THE 800 number. I wanted to buy something in clearence and use a 20% off, but the management said no. I was like nobody is going to buy this crap when u can just buy brand new with 20% off...
    U can just call the 800 number and get extra rates???
    Last edited by n00b; 05-09-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    "It's always SPOOOOOOKY Season."

NJ- "Its only illegal if you get caught" - Chinesium welder

Yoda: Overlord of Magic Smoke, I am

I bought a few hundred shop rags there a couple years back so I could protect the real tools I brought home in my suitcases

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    I bought a few hundred shop rags there a couple years back so I could protect the real tools I brought home in my suitcases
    Do you run into import restrictions? Venezuela and Ecuador assume anything in original packaging is for resale and apply huge customs taxes - likely at the request of some local company that doesn't want competition.