KT Industries 7018 not that great.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KT Industries 7018 not that great.

I've bought and run some of their 6013 and 7014. No complaints with either one. Both came in plastic sleeves/tubes like Hobart rods, but KT goes one step further and actually vacuum seals the stuff in a mylar(metallic foil) bag. I've been running Radnor 3/32 and 1/8 7018 at work building some material racks and decided I'd try the KT stuff just for giggles. Yeah, no, don't do it. I played around with amperage settings and this stuff just plain sucks. The finished beads are nice, but you need a miner's pickaxe to chip the slag. They don't have a sweet spot like the Radnor rods do. Also got a ton of spatter on a couple of joints, like truly epic 6011 type spatter. Some of the rods had cracked/chipped flux right out of the box. Not that it should matter, but the machine is a syncrowave 250.

Re: KT Industries 7018 not that great.

I’m just a hobby welder! But I’ve had good luck with ESAB’s Sureweld 7018.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

The local LWS's really only stock house brands, either Radnor or Matheson. We do very little stick at work. When I started there 7-8 years ago, the boxes of rod on the shelves were 20+ years old. Wouldn't have made much sense to order in a 50lb box of Lincoln/Esab/etc. just to weld up a few material racks. The mig is a real PITA to set..old machine and you have to guess at the wire speed(marked 1 to 10 on the separate wire feeder). Never have had much luck getting it to run vertical up..not enough time to fiddle with dialing it in. One of these days I'll get the manual out and see if it has some sort of chart to approximate the dial setting to actual wire speed....or I'll make my own using a stopwatch and tape measure.

Anyway, I stuck those KT rods in my rod oven and left them overnight. Ran some more of them today. Still had some issues with excess spatter, but I got slag peel today at the lower end of the settings(150-160 amps) I used yesterday. I still wouldn't recommend them. Found a few today that had flux covering the end of the rod and had to file them to get 'em started.

And right at the end of the day, five minutes to quitting time, one of the TIG torch water lines blew out on me...again. Seems like every third or fourth time I use it I end up fixing a leak, and I've replaced all three hoses in the past six months. Probably don't have 20 hours weld time on the new hoses.

150-160 amp for 1/8 rod? Try dropping your amps to anywheres from 85-135 and splatter should drop and your slag should peel pretty easy. I have run cheap cheap rod and have never had the pickax trounles you describe. Hope this works for ya.
    TOOLS AND TOYS
    SMAW Mid States Inc. "MISSING LINK" 10-150 AMP Buzzer circa 1945ish
    SMAW Magic Wand 40-60 AMP Suitcase Buzzer circa 1939ish
    GMAW Hobart 210 Ironman
    Oxy-Propane Torch
    Many other old and cold goodies
    "Rusty but Trusty"

most 1/8 7018 is rated 100-150 amps from the rod manufacturer some will list 90-160 amps.
    in general if you burn the rod in one use and get down to last 2or 3" if its all red or orange hot flux covered rod and all, the amps are too high. many machines the amp knob setting is not accurate. some machines with high arc force if you hold a short arc dragging rod you can easily get a extra 20-50 amps more than amp knob says
    for example i took a weld test vertical up welding 3/8 plate with 1/8 7018 at 265 amps. obviously the amp knob setting was not accurate. i believe it was done deliberate so test taker has to prove he can recognize correct amps by the arc and how it acts not by what the machine says. with amp knob at 110 obviously i couldnt even start a arc cause amp knob markings were way off
    i dont normally run 1/8 7018 over 145 amps as you normally get extra splatter. if i needed more i would use 5/32 7018, amp chart shows what rod size and amps depends on how thick you are welding and what position you are welding. most use different amps if welding 3/16 or 1/4 or 3/8 thick plate

Quote Originally Posted by MISSING LINK View Post
    150-160 amp for 1/8 rod? Try dropping your amps to anywheres from 85-135 and splatter should drop and your slag should peel pretty easy. I have run cheap cheap rod and have never had the pickax trounles you describe. Hope this works for ya.
    Nope, 5/32. I run 1/8 at 110-130, sometimes a little higher.

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    I’m just a hobby welder! But I’ve had good luck with ESAB’s Sureweld 7018.
    I used their ATOM ARC 7018 before wasn't a big fan but I use whatever they gave me, hard restarts, lincoln has always been the standard

According to the guy at Airgas, the Radnor 7018 is made by Lincoln. No idea if it's true or not. Also confirmed that other than Radnor, they stock nothing in less than a 50 lb box and the only options in 50 lb boxes are Lincoln or Esab.

I've only ever used LA( Liquid Air) 7018 except on one job, we got Arctex 223? a proprietary rod, for maintenance. Since I'm not now and wasn't then the greatest weldor , I found it a little more difficult than LA 7018, but they told me it was much less brittle weld than even 7018 !
    Man of foolish pursuits
    Millermatic 250x MIG
    Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD AC DC TIG
    Liquid Air O/A
    metal lathe, mill/drill, surface grinder, metal shaper
    sawdust makers

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    I used their ATOM ARC 7018 before wasn't a big fan but I use whatever they gave me, hard restarts, lincoln has always been the standard
    That's good to hear

I picked up a can of Atom Arc 7018 Acclaim when I swapped some O2 bottles yesterday. (hoping they might give my Crackerbox a bit of extra bite).

The LWS didn't have the regular Atom Arc 7018, only the newer stuff.

I just read the product description on the Acclaim this morning The Acclaim is a "soft" arc rod "Suitable for new welders" (I guess it's more forgiving with less penetration) https://www.esabna.com/us/en/product...18-acclaim.cfm

Haven't opened the can...….might just take the crap back

https://mam.esab.com:8443/assets/1/B...et_Main-01.pdf

Then this says it's a deep penetrating rod. Dunno how you can have deep penetration with a soft arc...…..never been my experience that I can think of

What a pail of horse crap

mate, it's just marketing crap, they gotta say something. I could say exactly the same things about the Bohler 7018 (my preferred sticks) as ESAB say about that stuff.

"we put an easy-strike coating on the end to make it easier for novices"
    "soft arc" - what IS a soft arc? Who cares? As long as it burns smoothly without spatter, I'd call that a soft arc
    "greater puddle control" - is what really sets a good 7018 apart from a crap one, in my book. Whether its better or not, it's got to be good, full stop.
    "deep penetration" - what even does this mean? Set up your welder and joint correctly, and it will penetrate just fine!

Only way to really know what it's like, especially for your technique and machine, is to burn some rods and keep an open mind.

Don't be daft and say they are no good without trying them, you're not doing code work so you can afford to try different things

I'd try those ESAB Atom Arc rods too, except the price and availability of Bohler for me makes it silly to try anything else.
    Last edited by Munkul; 05-10-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    mate, it's just marketing crap, they gotta say something. I could say exactly the same things about the Bohler 7018 (my preferred sticks) as ESAB say about that stuff.

"we put an easy-strike coating on the end to make it easier for novices"
    "soft arc" - what IS a soft arc? Who cares? As long as it burns smoothly without spatter, I'd call that a soft arc
    "greater puddle control" - is what really sets a good 7018 apart from a crap one, in my book. Whether its better or not, it's got to be good, full stop.
    "deep penetration" - what even does this mean? Set up your welder and joint correctly, and it will penetrate just fine!

Only way to really know what it's like, especially for your technique and machine, is to burn some rods and keep an open mind.

Don't be daft and say they are no good without trying them, you're not doing code work so you can afford to try different things

I'd try those ESAB Atom Arc rods too, except the price and availability of Bohler for me makes it silly to try anything else.
    Aw Hell...….you're probably right

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHETHER THE ATOM ARC BENDS AS NICE AS THE EXCALIBUR

https://lincolnelectric.com/assets/g...MR/c21010b.pdf

More marketing I guess Everybody knows the flux falls off Excalibur if you even look at it cross eyed

Personally, when it's important, I go with Excalibur 7018. Sweet running rod.

metalmagpie

7018 is for long and important structural welds. Like a gooseneck trailer hitch or big beams. For a fabricator building BBQ pits and go karts or lawn trailers only an idiot would select it.
    Here come the flames.
    7014 is far superior and 6013 varies incredibly by flux/brand. Hobart 6013 is trash. Blue Demon is decent
    ( prolly Lincoln Mexico---relabeled). Hilco makes the best 6013( 4 versions) on the planet.
    The old Esab was nice too.Smelly burn but clean and the flux curled off. Havent found any in years ???

Flame on, just weld it with coat hangers hahaha, they must send different blue demon junk to the southern outposts except for the NI99 (worked better than most)was hardware store rod, just buy lincoln rod and take the "maybe it might work" equation out and 7018 works good for most, 3 dots on rod is lincoln I don't know if Radnor is made by them machinist xx

My prerogative is:

- Buy a good brand of 7018. They aren't silly expensive, and even when they are dear, its still cheaper than reworking crap welds, and in effect you're paying for the assurance that they will behave the same way every time you pick up the stinger. You're paying for the fact that once you know how a certain brand runs, it's always going to run like that.
    - Store them properly in a sealed container, re-bake them every now and again.
    - Use them for nearly everything. They are all-directional and weld uphill way more easily than MIG, and leave a nicer weld.

Only time I use 6013 is for thin stuff, just because it's less prone to burn through... but honestly I just don't like 6013, I don't like the arc or the lack of visible puddle, and as a result I don't use them very often so I make poorer welds when i do. My brother uses both rod types, all the time, and they both have merits

I opened the new can of Acclaim today, and did some welds with it. Was planning on using it on some heavy plate.

I didn't like it at all.

It's very good at out of position welds, like claimed...……..but has an annoying tendency towards surface porosity. I believe this is because it's close to a relatively fast freeze rod......probably why it does such a bang up job out of position. Cools down too fast for the gas to boil out of it, hence the surface porosity maybe (shrug).

It has very little "dig", which makes me feel uncomfortable...…...I'm used to seeing some plate chewed up as the weld progresses.

Slag just pops off, which is nice.

Restrike is a piece of cake, mostly because the electrode isn't up inside the flux when the arc is broken. Never seen 7018 where the flux didn't have to be broken off for a restrike.

Flux coating on the rod is probably 25-40% less than Excalibur.

Puddle visibility is good to excellent.

But the bit of porosity/lack of "dig" worried me, so I used some old Excalibur in favor of the fresh Acclaim. Maybe a bad decision, but I just don't have any faith in the Acclaim.

pictures of said porosity? There's something very wrong, there.

There should be next to no gas through the weld full stop, it makes me think possibly they need baked before you use them to drive the moisture out?

Try to get some pics today. You wouldn't think there'd be any moisture in vacuum sealed can.

Another thing...………...the stupid can doesn't come with a plastic cap to put on after you crack the metal seal. That's stupid.

Here in the Seattle area, we have to weld in the rain all the time! Before the LN-22s came out, and all we had was 7018. This is how we dried out wet rods.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Daily event here. Thatz why you use a clamper and not a garbage twister.Stick about ten electrodes to a 1/4 in plate for several seconds, Get to work after.
    Repeat as needed

I just keep mine in a rod oven.

Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    I just keep mine in a rod oven.
    Like these?
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300