Pre-Priming Your Steel - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pre-Priming Your Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Is that stuff cheaper than a gallon of Rust-Oleum Primer, at about $28.00 a gallon?
    Not even close... it's around $80 per gallon. Definitely more cost effective to stick with the Rustoleum!

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    Not even close... it's around $80 per gallon. Definitely more cost effective to stick with the Rustoleum!
    Good to know. Not worth looking for it, then

I just bought 4 gallons of the Lanco today. $29/gallon

Don't know what it is about the Rustoleum or Ace Hardware red primer, but I have three boat lifts that were primed with it at least a dozen years ago. I never put on a finish coat. Granted, they don't stay in the water all the time but are always less than a foot away from it. They definitely get wet a bunch.

Also, not long ago while cleaning up the yard I found a piece of old lift hardware in the bushes that had been primed with Ace Red primer years and years ago and no sign of rust.

Prepping and priming beforehand is a great idea but I bet most people don't have the discipline to do it.
    Last edited by hvw; 06-09-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hvw View Post

Prepping and priming beforehand is a great idea but I bet most people don't have the discipline to do it.
    It sure beats getting all twisted and contorted into all kinds of different angles to clean the project steel after the welding is complete. Lot's easier to do in long straight runs you can flip over as you work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by hvw View Post
    Don't know what it is about the Rustoleum ...
    Fish oil.

There is such a thing as weldable primer. I have worked in a shop where almost everything ran through the wheelabrader before fabbing. It was nice to work on dry clean steel. The shop was in a desert climate so rust was not a worry. having a wheelabrader is a luxury :')) It had three motors driving the slingers. You started one motor at a time. It was cool seeing the ammeter get pinned then listen to the motor wind up.
    Another shop I worked at did a mine equipment job and every bit of steel and plate was wheelabraded and shot with weldable primer before delivery to us. Even the weldable primer can frustrate if it is put on too thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Fish oil.
    That's what makes it soo good. Works for fish, it can work for steel, too. You never have seen a rusty fish, have you? And they LIVE in a wet environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    That's what makes it soo good. Works for fish, it can work for steel, too. You never have seen a rusty fish, have you? And they LIVE in a wet environment.
    ^definitely not wrong
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

I'm a fan of the rusty metal primer as well, I use it on clean steel and it seems to work as good as anything non 2k. They also have a clean metal primer, but I've never really tried it on anything that stuck around long enough to judge it's performance. Both are self etching and their entire stops rust line (including rusty metal primer) has fish oil.

I also like the 2X line and it seems to resist sun fading over regular stops rust. I wounder if the 2X line also has oil, and what the main difference is between the two.

Their clear in both stops rust and 2x work well, especially to bring life back to sun faded things - black plastics included (auto trim and bumpers!). So far things I've sprayed with clear (2x and stops rust, both rattle cans) have held up for about a year and a half in southern california sun - not bad for ~$5. The convenience of the rattle can clear in particular is really hard to beat, 5 bucks every 2+ years for new looking plastics. I've also used it to freshen/stop small rust bits/streaking on metal parts that in place (nails/screws in painted wood, flag poles/braces in place), a little clear overspray sounds like extra protection for the surrounding area to me lol.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 06-25-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    I'm a fan of the rusty metal primer as well, I use it on clean steel and it seems to work as good as anything non 2k.
    Do you clean and prime your steel before cutting it up to start your project or do it AFTER the project is complete?

This is all for home storage and use: In short I store the steel as I bought it, and mostly do any surface prep needed before welding. Right before welding I always wash it off for oil, always knock rust off area to be welded, and sometimes de-rust entire piece depending on needs.

In more detail: I never pre prime, but most of the steel comes pretty oily from the local metal supplier I usually purchase from, and is stored indoors in a dry southwest climate. I do prep before welding for oil removal mainly, but will also knock any rust off unless really in a hurry. The rust I mostly deal with is very light surface rust (usually at the ends) that can easily be wiped away by hand with a scotchbrite 99% of the time. I always remove rust to weld but not always to paint, I've read replies from rustoleum reps that state their rusty metal primer actually sticks better to items with light surface rust. I have no idea if it's true but I've not noticed any difference from bright steel to lightly rusted steel when that primer is used. For heavy rust my go to is a wire brush on a grinder - love the rat tail grinders for this use.

I try to do all the prep pre cutting/welding and in bulk, but it doesn't always work that way. I line up the pieces next to each other (even if round) and clean them all together one face at a time, turn and repeat. I use a mop with LA's totally awesome de greaser and or dawn (cheap and EFFECTIVE). Depending on the pieces sometimes the corners have to be done individually but it's usually a quick process because PREP IS BORING, lol.

If I have to store something outside or I know it will be around for a long time I'll coat it with literally whatever cheap/used oil I have at hand with a cheap chip brush that gets thrown away, though it will still rust internally if the piece is hollow structural steel it's too messy to oil internally and try to clean.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 06-25-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Name:  ywxc7jsklgy21.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  68.9 KB

It's all "weldable primer" when you're burning innershield.

when welding something painted/coated - I keep an automatic center punch with a sharper tip near to get through extra thick coats down to a spot bare metal - makes for easier/cleaner starts and is usually faster than messing around trying to scratch in with your filler wire.

Just a little bump for those who might not have seen this yet.

I built a custom trailer a while back. Did all the fab, cuts then blasted, scuffed, tape masked where the welding went and primed. Very little overhead work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Fish oil.
    You're probably right! I have never seen a rusty fish. But after thinking about it, fish live in the water, rust needs oxygen to form, so maybe that's why.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 10-01-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    You're probably right! I have never seen a rusty fish. But after thinking about it, fish live in the water, rust needs oxygen to form, so maybe that's why.
    Water is one part OXYGEN and two parts hydrogen(H2O), so there IS oxygen present in water.