Arc Gouging - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arc Gouging

Re: Arc Gouging

Again... not trying to start that internet fight...im just saying from at controlled situation not heavy equipment... a tooling framing shop... with everything else other that air arc gouging available why not use a more efficient and faster and cleaner bevel technique

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    Again... not trying to start that internet fight...im just saying from at controlled situation not heavy equipment... a tooling framing shop... with everything else other that air arc gouging available why not use a more efficient and faster and cleaner bevel technique

I see your point, if it's less than 3/8" I grind with a fast cutting wheel/disc, if it's 1" or thicker I bevel with o/a. In between, butting and gouging is the thing. If you have the air and amps and can be steady, it's pretty fast and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post

You are in one segment of the industry. Carbon arc might not be the greatest tool in your part of it but it does not even begin to cover what is out there. Just an FYI . 3 years ago I had a job I did in my shop. Without carbon arc that job would have been near impossible to do. If you are so sure carbon arc is unneeded in your area of the industry then why do your welders want to use it when they have other options? I can tell you from experience that Carbon arc gouging is not a fun experience. I only use it if I feel it will save me time without putting me or anything else in jeperdy. I can not even imagine using it if there were a better option available. I think you need to go talk to your welders to find out why they are deciding to use carbon arc instead of screaming it is not needed or wanted.
    Last edited by thegary; 05-18-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    The K2000 and equivalents are apparently all discontinued. I looked today and couldn't find either one online...though I didn't look too hard.
    People think bigger is better so they all want a K4000 carbon arc. In reality 90% of users can not begin to use the capabilities of the K4000. The K2000 will meet the needs of at least 80% of people that carbon arc if they just were to read about the tools . I would not even think about a K4000 unless I had at least a 600 amp machine and 30cfm of air available.

I agree. I'll probably buy a K3000/equivalent and plug a couple of holes. Should have bought the K2000 a few months ago when they were still available.

Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    I agree. I'll probably buy a K3000/equivalent and plug a couple of holes. Should have bought the K2000 a few months ago when they were still available.
    There is an old thread on here from a few years ago that have the sizes of the air holes and such. I can remember being involved with a mod of a K3000 in that thread . I will try to find it .

I think this is the thread I was talking about. Best Air Arc set up for Lincoln Ranger 250 GXT https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=K2000

I just measured one of my arcair k2000's and both holes are .071" with a spacing of .225" they run parallel with the carbon holder and are centered directly under it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I just measured one of my arcair k2000's and both holes are .071" with a spacing of .225" they run parallel with the carbon holder and are centered directly under it.
    That should be enough info right there. 2 holes at.071" spaced .225" apart. It should be easy to modify a K3000 or a 4000 for that matter. Then use the arc air guide lines for a K2000 torch

Since that disc with the holes is replaceable, I wonder if the k2000 part would swap in?

Just curious...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Yeah... I was kinda wondering that myself when I measured it... Looks easy enough to pull apart if someone with a 3/4 k can pull theirs apart and get pics/measurements....

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Since that disc with the holes is replaceable, I wonder if the k2000 part would swap in?

Just curious...
    Even if it doesn't, I'm a machinist with keys to the shop doors and the alarm code. Only question is what alloy are they using for the disc? I have to admit that I haven't ever looked too close at the ArcAir torch at work....I've always just hooked it up and gouged. I don't even know which model it is. I'd guess at it being a 4000.

Alrighty..... had some time this morning between other tasks in the shop and had a spare K2000 sitting right in front of me so.... did a quick tear down.

Name:  k2000-td-01.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  51.2 KB
    Unfortunately just taking the lower cover and swivel retaining screw out won't let you get the swivel out....

Name:  k2000-td-02.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  63.7 KB

Once you take the handle and spring off the jaw will open plenty wide to lift the swivel right out
    Name:  k2000-td-03.jpg
Size:  114.7 KB

Name:  k2000-td-04.jpg
Size:  39.1 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 05-19-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Name:  k2000-td-05.jpg
Size:  62.8 KB

The air holes are drilled in just at the the bottom of the air galley
    Name:  k2000-td-06.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  k2000-td-07.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  38.6 KB

I would guess the material is aluminium... or titanium... probably not 6061 as it doesn't slice like 6061 is a bit more brittle, the machining on it looks like aluminium though. The only markings on this piece are the airarc logo on the edge repeated 3 times in even 120 degree increments... no numbers.
    Last edited by ronsii; 05-19-2019 at 04:04 PM.