Miller 211
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Miller 211

Miller 211

Hi all, new here. I just brought home a 211 today and looking forward to trying it out. I have no mig welding experience. Only played some with a Everlast tig I have. Hot rod hobbyist and looking to make some tables and benches using wood and metal. My local welding/gas supplier sold me on this model. Did I make a good choice?

Re: Miller 211

LWS sales guys would never steer you wrong. Ask anyone here.

Seriously though, good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Yes. It's a very, very good machine. Always use the Miller made adapter for 110 to 230. Run it on 230 whenever possible.
    Several of us have the old and heavy transformer type and consider them better. MMMMmmm time will tell
    I have hours upon hours on both and they're both decent machinery. Run the inverter on C25 gas and stick to .030 wire.
    The transformer type will run 035 and CO2 like a champ but tests the duty cycle pretty fast.
    Watch tube videos and have fun. You made a good choice. Unplug from the power when there is a storm and daily after the day is over. Millers weak spot is their cards. They weld like no other but the electronics are crap

I love my Miller 211
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Great machine . Did you get a tank of 75/25 ? A 125 CF is a perfect size. My older 211 likes .030 wire and I use the Lincoln L-56 . Never any issues. Get the larger 12 pound spool instead of the 2 pound.

Miller 211 inverter owner here and I love it. 75/25 and .030 l-56 lincoln (the .030 is still made in USA and is ~$50 at lowes or home depot) wire seems to run smoothest in it, but it runs any wire (including harbor freight vulcan) 99.5% as well. The price for the lincoln wire is high and keeps going up up up, so a good and cost effective online alternative would be washington alloys, or usaweld.com wire (many people also use blue demon but i don't have experience with them). If wanting to buy cheaper in person talk to as many local welding supply stores as you can, all it takes is a phone call and you'd be surprised at the difference in price between suppliers. I find one LWS has gas significantly cheaper gas than everywhere else, another has wire cheaper than everywhere else, etc. I run both 120 and 240 often, 120 needs a good circuit but can do 1/8" plus (20+ amp breaker and wire thick enough/short enough distance to carry the amperage without dropping the voltage). As for fluxcore gasless I LOVE the made in USA Harris E71T-11 wire. co2 is much cheaper, widely available, can be bought in much higher quantities, and offers a bit of a boost in penetration compared to argon mixes if any of those are an issue for you, Dialed in spatter is very marginally (barely) worse than c25, but takes a bit more trying to get dialed in correctly. Autoset is nice when you have to jump between thicknesses, but remember the suggested thickness is for the flat position, and you'll learn to adjust as you get a feel for it. I trim down the nozzles so my contact tip sticks out 1/8th" or so, as i find it tucked too far into the nozzle at the stock length. I also changed out the ground/work cable to a more flexible and thicker cable (ultra flex awg 2), along with changing out the cheesy stock ground clamp to a nice tweco style copper alloy one. My 211 has been a CHAMP and I have no regrets buying it nearly 4 years later.

Thanks guys, I am glad I bought this now. With not much experience starting out I didn't want to fight a cheaper machine. I am sure decent welders can make about anything work. I did get a tank and a 12 lb roll. I will snag a better ground clamp. Out of town working now and cannot fire it up till the weekend.

That is a great quality welder that will serve you well. Probably never have to upgrade as it is very capable.

Get a decent hood, gloves, some clamps and start running some beads! Then post pictures and ask questions. Lots of helpful guys and gals here.

Post your location for local help and information on buying supplies, etc.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

I had one and it welded great, just make sure your drive roll doesn't wobble too much. Through the stock 10ft gun it should feed perfectly with no more than about 2 or 2.5 at the most. If you need more than that, contact the place where you got it from. The stock M100 gun heats up quick though. I had a M25 gun on it from HTP and it's 250A 100% duty cycle, and worked a lot better, but don't go with more than 10ft and you can have a robust gun that still feeds great. It uses the same miller front end parts, it's just the liners that are different.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I run HTP 15 foot on both styles. Never a problem.
    Ya gotta get the tension right. Y'all spek reel Inglisch ?

Miller 211

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    I run HTP 15 foot on both styles. Never a problem.
    Ya gotta get the tension right. Y'all spek reel Inglisch ?
    Dear Dr Bonzoo. My wife convinced me to join a wife swap group a while back. I joined, got this mig welder and I tightened up the rollers but it STILL won’t feed. Should I see if I can get my wife back???

Please help.
    Sincerely,
    Sleepless at the Holiday Inn.

Last edited by Lis2323; 05-17-2019 at 09:55 PM.
    :

'' Dear Dr Bonzoo. My wife convinced me to join a wife swap group a while back. I joined, got this mig welder and I tightened up the rollers but it STILL won’t feed. Should I see if I can get my wife back??? ''

It's possible you still got the best deal if it works or not ! Any update on the guy that got the wife ?? Maybe check the newspaper.

Try a little "lube" in the liner.
    El Profesor. D

Miller 211

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Try a little "lube" in the liner.
    El Profesor. D
    Figured out problem. Wire too big. Thanks anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Yeah, I am always having the 'wire too big' issue also...

LOL! Remember guys, if she has a knurled drive roller RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    LOL! Remember guys, if she has a knurled drive roller RUN!
    Eeeee, would hate to get pulled into that kind of a deal!!!!!