S.D. Lee / Century 230 AC 180 DC arc welder?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

S.D. Lee / Century 230 AC 180 DC arc welder?

I don't have a part number, will tomorrow at this time.
    I'm buying it, $100, with about 50 feet of leads.
    Who is S.D. Lee?
    Been trying to look for basic information, like approx year of manufacture, etc. Not having any luck so far. No part number in any of the pictures in the seller's ad.
    This is a photo of the face of it.
    Name:  717fdb67a046425d9aa0ba52e57a7b9b.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  61.5 KB
    I haven't found an exact match in my searching, most have that lever you have to squeeze. One sort of looked like this, but the face colors were reversed.

To be honest, it is the only AC/DC machine I have found that is within my budget and not already sold. Yes, that is a worry,why hasn't it sold, but I'm damning the torpedoes and full throttle ahead. (Ok, I was on a submarine, we launched the torpedoes, but a good saying anyway.) Reading here has convinced me I have to have AC DC and a 220VAC powered machine. So this is my attempt at one. For the price, it would hurt a little bit if it doesn't work right, but we won't starve our dogs to pay for it either. It's coming out of my project Pinto fund.

And the first project for this will be to use it to weld up a little cart for it. It looks a tad heavy.

Thanks,
    Russ
    RIP Mallory, we miss you.

Re: S.D. Lee / Century 230 AC 180 DC arc welder?

Try it. Run it and buy it.It's good for another 40 years. The duty cycle is probably crap but for a guy building stuff in a barn ? 50 feet(100) of #2 ?
    Go for it. Whoever had it took care of it or used it very little.

Heavy ? Yeah. It's not the "millenial version" It takes somewhat of a man to toss that in the back of a pickup.....if need be.

Thanks. I bought it. Couldn't try it out, but should be ok.
    This thing has at least 25 feet of heavy power cord. The electrode lead is about the same, but the ground lead isn't quite as long.

I ordered a new ground clamp, 5 pounds of 3/32 Forney 6013, and a blanket from Home Depot (had a gift card).
    Max I will be welding right now is 1/4 inch, and the 6013 sounds idiot proof.

I didn't get the model number yet, had to rush to get to work.

Will be next week before I get the new rods. But I have some HF 6013 that came with the M. Wards small one, so I can at least try it out this weekend.

Thanks,
    Russ

7014 is a better rod but run that 6013 hot enough to blow the flux out of the puddle and lean it over a good bit while you weld. No whips or circle jerking. Pull it slow and straight.You can weld 1/4 all day long at 90 or so amps
    That pictures lever position is a good starting point for 6013 on AC. Let it eat and maybe turn it down a crack.

Thanks.
    Appreciate the hints. Really.

I got the model number, boy is it in tiny letters/numbers. It's on the front lower left. On the same line as "60 cycle Single Phase"
    Model 110-085. I think I need new glasses.

I'm actually looking forward to trying this. Been talking/thinking about welding for years. Time to start doing.

but for now I'm off to see what I can find with Google on this thing.

Russ

Guess we can't edit after so long.
    All I have found so far is that Lincoln still has an exploded view of the parts and the parts numbers on line. Which will be a big help. I already downloaded the pdf for it. It also had a rev date of 1975, so that narrows down the year a bit.
    https://lincoln-is-viewer.ptcmscloud...gwOTAxMzk4Nzh9

If anyone knows who or what S.D. Lee is I'd appreciate it. I am pretty sure this wasn't named after the Confederate soldier. So far that is the only thing I have found.
    I read on another forum(might have been Yesterdays Tractors) that some people called it Sears,Dayton. ???
    I am finding tons of forums that have a welding section, but obviously nothing like here.
    Russ

Looks bead worthy, I had a Century AC box for years trying to learn. Get a small box of 6011 for the halibut while your at it.
    S.D. Lee, hmmm, didn't Bruce have a brother? (jk) Bruce did have a brother though.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by russ69coupe View Post
    I don't have a part number, will tomorrow at this time.
    I'm buying it, $100, with about 50 feet of leads.
    Who is S.D. Lee?
    Been trying to look for basic information, like approx year of manufacture, etc. Not having any luck so far. No part number in any of the pictures in the seller's ad.
    This is a photo of the face of it.
    Name:  717fdb67a046425d9aa0ba52e57a7b9b.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  61.5 KB
    I haven't found an exact match in my searching, most have that lever you have to squeeze. One sort of looked like this, but the face colors were reversed.

To be honest, it is the only AC/DC machine I have found that is within my budget and not already sold. Yes, that is a worry,why hasn't it sold, but I'm damning the torpedoes and full throttle ahead. (Ok, I was on a submarine, we launched the torpedoes, but a good saying anyway.) Reading here has convinced me I have to have AC DC and a 220VAC powered machine. So this is my attempt at one. For the price, it would hurt a little bit if it doesn't work right, but we won't starve our dogs to pay for it either. It's coming out of my project Pinto fund.

And the first project for this will be to use it to weld up a little cart for it. It looks a tad heavy.

Thanks,
    Russ
    I had a century just like that welder, it was one hell of a welder. That welder was made by century for many different stores. I've seen them for monkey wards and sears, and many chain hardware stores. They were excellent stick welders. Century was bought out by Lincoln and pretty much shut down the company. I believe Lincoln makes a 250 amp mig welder sold under the century name. The last one I saw was priced around $1,500. If it runs you have a good stick welder that will last many many years.

Thanks.
    I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I work 2nd shift, so doing stuff when I get home doesn't make the neighbors happy.
    Need to open it up and clean it up, do a quick inspection.
    I have seen that one of the cables has cut insulation near the electrode holder. I need to see if that is the only place, if so I will just cut the cable a little and reattach the holder. I have a new work clamp to install as well.
    Eventually I would like to replace the cables. Hoping nothing else will need done.
    I need to get some other types of electrodes as well.
    Russ

It's made by Century. Should have patent numbers on it - look them up. Dayton (Grainger) model 3Z563 is the same thing.

Name:  050bffe8eaaa4e4987d92c60a84d992e.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  56.5 KB
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder