Miller dialarc 250 HF or Lincoln idealarc 300/300?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller dialarc 250 HF or Lincoln idealarc 300/300?

I need a good used welder for shop, stick, tig, able to tig aluminum. I have 2 choices so far a old black face Miller dialarc 250 hf for $700 with cooler foot pedal tig torch and stick leads. 2nd is a old Lincoln idealarc 300/300 with tig torch and foot pedal, no stick leads for $300 what do you think? I probably would not be welding anything over 1/4”. Size and weight is not a issue.

Re: Miller dialarc 250 HF or Lincoln idealarc 300/300?

Are they both powered up for demo? If not you might be buying broken welders. You might even consider whether parts are even available.

I used the Miller Dial arc in the 70s. Worked well.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

The Miller he says everything works good, it is a early 1980 machine, he said they were built like a tank not much to go wrong. The Lincoln the guy doesn’t know much about it but it is probably worth the 300 in cooper alone if it didn’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
    The Lincoln the guy doesn’t know much about it but it is probably worth the 300 in cooper alone if it didn’t work.
    He would be correct in that he doesn't know anything about it, and wrong that it is worth that much in scrap.

Foot pedal, cooler and torch on a proven working machine is worth it. Try to price that stuff separately and you will have sticker shock. For the unknown machine you need to lowball.

I got my 300/300 tig in unknown condition with no leads or power cord, or anything else for $100. It works fine, but looking back, I spent quite a bit on cord/plug and leads, and need to spend a lot more to get it tig ready.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

What is your approximate location and what is your budget? Instead of spending $700 on a dialarc (or any other sine wave welder) you would be better served if you could get a square wave welder in your budget range. Think of the Lincoln squarewave 255, 275, PT-225, or a Miller syncrowave. Most of these welders give you control over AC balance and a few other features that the older sine wave welders didn't usually have. They will do a little bit better on aluminum. I see these kinds of welders on CL for between $1000-$1500 some times. Sometimes even less.
    Last edited by Louie1961; 05-16-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
    The Miller he says everything works good, it is a early 1980 machine, he said they were built like a tank not much to go wrong. The Lincoln the guy doesn’t know much about it but it is probably worth the 300 in cooper alone if it didn’t work.
    It's NOT copper. That's "almost" all BS. Most were copper plated aluminum windings.
    The Miller is a great piece.
    2019. Don't take anyone's "word" on anything. Flash a stack of $50's and tell the idiot to run it if he wants them.

I had the Dialarc 250HF, Good machine.
    I have the Lincoln stick version, (no TIG).

Both are BIG The 300 Bigger still.

Can you power them?

Sine wave TIG is fine for steel. If your dream is aluminum, you'll always wish you had square wave.

I've only dabbled in helium, but I believe the old "Heliarc" welders worked best on pure helium. You ain't got that much money. For me aluminum welding yearns for square wave.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.