Thoughts on a Handler 175
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thoughts on a Handler 175

I've been looking thru the classifieds for a 220v mig and found a HH175. Any thoughts on it? Maybe a worth? I have a stick welder for the heavy stuff, but would like to add a decent mig gas machine.

Re: Thoughts on a Handler 175

I have owned one for several years that I purchased new from a Tractor Supply store. I have not had any problems with it. I would think as far as what it might be worth probably $350-$400. You should definitely test it prior to buying it as there were some that had problems with the circuit board and the wire drive motor and I do not know how easy or hard replacement parts would be if either were bad.

I had the Handler 190 which was basically the same machine but spool gun ready. They are nice machines for what they are. The only reason I got rid of mine was I found a deal on MM252 and I wanted the ability to do gas shielded flux core. The Handler 175 and/or 190 is too small for gas shielded flux core. That's not a knock though. Mine had a nice arc, ran pretty well on straight CO2 and and did everything I asked of it up to about 3/16ths inch material. Anything heavier I just stick welded. A brand new Handler 190 can be had for $649 at Blains, so I personally wouldn't pay more than about $300 for a used HH175 (depending on what it comes with). If it comes with a CO2 or C25 tank, I'd maybe go more, depending. I figure if I can't get it for less than half the price of new, I may as well go with a new unit and a warranty. There's no math behind that number, just a gut feeling.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

The Handler 187 and the 190 are much better than the 175/180 due to the increase in the number of taps.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Yeah. Ran a few over the years. Get some 85/15 gas and have at it on 14-20-even 22 gauge. Decent machine. Takes some practice.
    Body guys here have used them for years. Cheap. Tough. Get things done

Would I regret giving $300 for one...or would I be better to pony up a couple hundred more and get something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post
    Would I regret giving $300 for one...or would I be better to pony up a couple hundred more and get something else?
    Hard call. I'd buy it. It made it this far..Odds are it will continue

No you won't regret it. Just test it out to make sure it works as it should and isn't broken.

That being said, this is worth a look. https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...put-63617.html
    It comes with a one year risk free, return it for any reason for a full refund guarantee. Everyone on this board who has tried one has had nothing but good things to say about this unit. All the internet reviews have been great too. One of the guys here (Shovelon) was a beta tester, and gave it a thumbs up. The unit has a higher top end (220 amps) than the Handler 175, is dual voltage, has infinitely adjustable voltage (which I like better that taps, just a personal thing), and can run a spool gun. With the coupon they run $699. Just a thought. You could try it and if it doesn't suit your needs, take it back.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

That HF is a good shot. Grab it, run it , bank money, take it back in 8 months and buy an Ironman !

I've had an hh175 for about 14 years. Mine was factory refurbished, I am guessing it originally had the troublesome control board and got reworked. I keep looking for a reason to upgrade, but mine has been rock solid. It is very easy to use and get dialed in. As others have said it only has 4 taps, which limits the settings. As a hobby welder who learned to weld on this machine, I may not know what I am missing, but I have welded sheet metal through 5/16 with no issues. .023 through .035 mig wire, and Flux core as well. Never a feed issue or birds nest. I say go for it.
    Todd
    HH175
    Idealarc 250-250
    Uniweld "J" size O/A
    Victor 315 O/A
    HF 90amp 115v fluxcore (came with the idealarc)

I've had a hobart 180 for forever. It burns 035 flux core wire like a champ. I weld outside in the wind. I love I've had no issues its burned countless big spools in it.

I say get it if its 300 or less.