Hobart Champion 10,000 Stopped Welding!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lightbulb Hobart Champion 10,000 Stopped Welding!

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum page, however I have used it to find answers to my questions in the past! My first post is a question for you all: I recently picked up a 2007 Hobart Champion 10,000 welder/generator. When I purchased it from the seller, he stated that he was welding with it one day about 6 months prior to my purchase date, and the arc stopped. The machine kept running however it lost all power to all outlets and the welding leads. He never decided to dig into it and later decides to sell it. I did some reading prior to this purchase and found that the boards are prone to having issues on these units, however some pictures of failed parts on others boards don't match my board. I visually inspected it for fried components, along with any burnt wires etc. I found nothing! It is a DC machine, so I checked for voltage across the welding terminals as I had read it should be 60-90 volts? At high idle, the machine is putting out 7 volts and 4 volts at idle. This is somewhat confusing to me due to being quite the novice when it comes to electrical circuits and such! Obviously its attempting to put out voltage at the lead prongs, however not near enough to establish an arc. I do have both operator and technical manuals from Hobart with parts lists and such, but does anyone have any ideas on where I can begin to start testing components? Thanks so much!
    - Jake

Re: Hobart Champion 10,000 Stopped Welding!

This machine was older but similar problem as you. I would bet you simply have a failed connection somewhere.
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...-broken-welder

When you are getting just trace voltages it will most likely be a problem with the exciter circuit... either wiring/connections/components/etc... of course it could also be a lot of other things including just a bad connection hows about posting up some pics.... like close ups of any circuit boards... both sides if possible and wiring...etc...

My Champion Elite has fuses and rectifiers feeding
    an exciter coil. Maybe yours is similar? If neither
    welding current or ac power work,lack of exciter
    voltage is likely the cause.If you find fuses keep
    blowing, I’d look for a shorted rectifier bridge first.