Seeking advice from a Welding Engineer familiar with ASME Sec IX
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Seeking advice from a Welding Engineer familiar with ASME Sec IX

As the title states I would like to get some advice from a Welding Engineer with regards to a WPS development in accordance to ASME Section 9.

The weld coupon has been sent to the testing lab for mechanical testing (2 root bends, 2 face bends and 2 tensile pulls) and I have no reason to anticipate failure (however anything can happen in a weld test). Once the weld is qualified I have several WPS that I plan to write based on that PQR.

I'm 90% confident of my understanding of the non-essential variables but would like the advice of an expert before I file our WPS's and begin welder testing.

Send me a DM if that is prefered.
    Red Seal Journeyman Welder (2003), Red Seal Journeyman Metal Fabricator (2018), Welding Engineering Technologist (2005)

Pressure - ASME Section IX
    Structural - CSA 47.1
    Transport tanker - CSA B620
    Aerospace - AWS D17.1

Re: Seeking advice from a Welding Engineer familiar with ASME Sec IX

You should pose your question on the AWS member forums. CWIs are better suited to answer those questions.

However my understanding as a weldor that qualifies PQRs and writes WPSs is that the PQR is strict in the parameters tested. Then using the zones within the essential variables the WPS can be written to a specific part or condition, or loosely for production. Nonessential variable are generally nowhere seen on the WPS as they are nonessential. If there is a question then an inquiry should be directed to the enginnering authority for clarification.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Re: Seeking advice from a Welding Engineer familiar with ASME Sec IX

Yeah, you're right.

This is going a bit deeper than regular welding stuff.

Might need to contact some of my welding engineering alumni.
    Red Seal Journeyman Welder (2003), Red Seal Journeyman Metal Fabricator (2018), Welding Engineering Technologist (2005)

Pressure - ASME Section IX
    Structural - CSA 47.1
    Transport tanker - CSA B620
    Aerospace - AWS D17.1