Millermatic 250x MIG
    Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD AC DC TIG
    Liquid Air O/A
    metal lathe, mill/drill, surface grinder, metal shaper
    sawdust makers

Re: Repair of backhoe swing frame - Cast Steel

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Well, just being a keyboard commando...
    Not sure about the keyboard commando, but you are, for sure, an ***.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Not sure about the keyboard commando, but you are, for sure, an ***.
    Really? I have done these kinds of repairs on heavy equipment for 40 years. You?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightfant View Post
    yeah, I had to sorta smirk at the BBQ and cast iron comments. I don't know much, but I know I ain't getting this thing in my oven or BBQ. I could probably get it into my smoker, but I don't think I COULD get my smoker up to 500 even if I wanted to... it's sorta designed NOT to get THAT hot. This is Texas after all, where Brisket is king, and low and slow is the only way to go.

Anyway, yeah my plan was to tack some basic scafolding around just to hold the pieces in place and let me bonk and knock things around until everything is REASONABLY lined up with about as much as I'm going to manage given how much some of the parts have been stretched by continued use WELL past when it should have been repaired. Properly. Some peoples kids I tell ya'!

I've got a gas rig and rosebud. Don't think it's 12, but I can get one easy enough. I'm also a blacksmith, so I'm OK on heating and isolating, tho I've never worked on a chunk THIS size. Apparently my idea of "drop it in the burn barrel with coals" doesn't seem like a wise course of action from this feedback tho. I was hoping to do that some so I could burn off all the contamination and whatnot which has found it's way into pores and cracks and wherever.

I figure no matter what, I'm going to have to re-machine the pin bores. I will have no problems there. Well, I won't say NO problems, cause it's gonna be a lot of setup work, but I can do it. I'll CAD it up and then run it based on the measurements taken directly from the tractor. It might not be what the factory was, but it should be what it is now. If I have to make new pins because things opened up, I can do that easy enough on the lathe. I've got plenty of 4140 full hard round bar large enough to tackle that already on hand. I'm not too worried about machinable. I regularly am machining hardened material for some of the parts I make, so I'm tooled up for it, and at least in THAT realm, I'm in my sweet spot of experience and knowledge.

I'm sorry we got off to a rough start there 12V71, and I appreciate your feedback here.
    I have had a chance to speak with several of my used parts contacts and apparently the Masseys weren't that popular and when scrap prices were high a lot of them got cut up. Most are finding the same stuff that has been posted here. Looks like they are hens teeth.

Really? I have done these kinds of repairs on heavy equipment for 40 years. You?
    Only 35. I wasnt commenting on you abilities, but rather on your behavior. Being an azzhole has no bearing on your skills.

Hey, name calling has no place here. We end up losing knowledge .Who knows, maybe you both are gruff, but good hearted sorts in person. I 've worked more than a few in my 35 years of working on heavy machinery.
    Man of foolish pursuits
    Millermatic 250x MIG
    Liquid Air O/A
    sawdust makers

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Who knows, maybe you both are gruff, but good hearted sorts in person.
    Most likely true

I've worked with many that way myself

Usually much easier to get along with than the faker types....
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Yes, seriously. Hey, I've got an idea... why don't you go play keyboard commando somewhere else while I'm talking with the adults in the room.
    Not called for, especially since he's right

Yes, it's seen some use and abuse to be sure. As the machines get older, the experience of the operator gets lower. Somebody at some point pushed it WAY too far, broke it, and then did a half assed job at the repair. I expect they immediately sold it at that point, and the next owner did even worse.

It's gong to need a bunch of work. My time is worth something, but I enjoy this sort of thing as well. I like bringing something dead back to life. I have a soft spot for them. I also can get much more machine than I could otherwise afford with this route... so it works for me.
    how much do you have into this machine cost wise so far and what is it worth when your done? also how does it run? engine, tranny, rear end? how much more work does it need along with fixing or building from scratch to rotator bracket? I know you said you enjoy fixing this stuff but will it ever be done to be used or are you just looking for a long term project?..if your looking for a backhoe to use and easy to find parts I would look at the fords 555 have been around for a while and plenty of spare parts at reasonable cost...I have a bunch of heavy equipment and buying obsolete machines with no parts to be had is just bad news all around...

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Most likely true

I've worked with many that way myself

Usually much easier to get along with than the faker types....

All the heavy equipment mechanics and welders I’ve known and worked with have been calm,easygoing quite type of guys. Willing to bend over backwards to make everyone’s life easier

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    All the heavy equipment mechanics and welders I’ve known and worked with have been calm,easygoing quite type of guys. Willing to bend over backwards to make everyone’s life easier
    ....ok....yeah....that load of crap would break a brand new manure spreader
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Your wrong but thanks for your comment, after all these years, I had forgotten about Mac . A sawmill millwright so gruff , operators with a breakdown would wait for our shifts to change . He worked graveyard and the shifts only overlapped an hour. Many times on day shift I came into a graveyard breakdown. Most operators deserved the scolding. chuckle.
    Man of foolish pursuits
    Millermatic 250x MIG
    Liquid Air O/A
    sawdust makers

Only 35. I wasnt commenting on you abilities, but rather on your behavior. Being an azzhole has no bearing on your skills.
    Been called worse by better. Meh.

Here is what I would do, Get a large piece of square tube. As heavy a side wall as you can get.
    Weld a heavy square plate already drilled on each end and one in the centre make a good heavy bushing on a lathe
    And weld it in the holes. The old pin might still do But might be better to make a new one? Fabricate new brackets
    with new 1" steel and weld them on to suit I would look for a 12" piece of square pipe to start on.

Get one of those $100 3D printers they feature on TV/YouTube and make a new one. Or if you have as much machining experience and tools you say you have then get a block of steel and just machine the whole thing from scratch. Way more accurate and stronger than any kind of repair would be. Milling machine and time should make you one a whole lot stronger than any kind or repair would be.

Quote Originally Posted by mwshaw View Post
    Get one of those $100 3D printers they feature on TV/YouTube and make a new one. Or if you have as much machining experience and tools you say you have then get a block of steel and just machine the whole thing from scratch. Way more accurate and stronger than any kind of repair would be. Milling machine and time should make you one a whole lot stronger than any kind or repair would be.
    That would be price Prohibitive for one bracket. When I one time asked a machine shop about machining a part one time
    they told Me They would need to be making hundreds to be worth setting up the machinery

The OP has said he has the capability of machining/welding the part so fabbing one up while cost prohibitive(just more than cast) for a typical shop sounds like would be no problem.... I have seen lots of different styles of these parts and while they may seem complicated or *impossible* to make one from weldments it is simply a cost driven decision for the original manufacturer as to why they used a cast part instead of traditional welding. So..... if you don't consider the time it takes then a weldment part is probably the best choice for fixing it now, if done properly it will be better and stronger than the original part

It sure would be a big job! I have a backhoe with much the same part and it would take a
    2foot square block of steel to make in one piece

Yeah a one piece job is a bit overkill I think someone mentioned earlier using tube... I believe this would be the ideal way to keep costs and labor down and still end up with a part that exceeds the original.

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yeah a one piece job is a bit overkill I think someone mentioned earlier using tube... I believe this would be the ideal way to keep costs and labor down and still end up with a part that exceeds the original.
    Yep, some CNC cut plates and a heavy tube spacer, weld, line bore and better than new.

Been called worse by better. Meh.
    I dont doubt that.

Yep, some CNC cut plates and a heavy tube spacer, weld, line bore and better than new.
    That sounds like a more reasonable solution that repairing this original piece.
    Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    That sounds like a more reasonable solution that repairing this original piece.
    Worked with a lot of obsolete equipment over the years, building parts was sometimes the only way to get the stuff running again. But that was equipment that would be in the quarter million range to replace.

Worked with a lot of obsolete equipment over the years, building parts was sometimes the only way to get the stuff running again. But that was equipment that would be in the quarter million range to replace.
    ...most of my equipment is valued in the quarter thousand range (give or take a quarter).
    Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

I dont doubt that.
    It's funny... if you go back in this thread you might realize the OP understood what I was getting at. I've been a consultant for several large equipment rebuilders that didn't like what I recommended and gave me an attitude, but after a meeting or two they realized where I was coming from. It's called experience. Call it what you want.