Lawnmower project
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lawnmower project

I wasn't looking for a project today, but like usual, one finds you sometimes...need to figure out why the 20HP B&S on the lawn tractor suddenly lost compression. This will be fun.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Re: Lawnmower project

Valve spring???? nothing else I can thing of will be very good

Briggs V-twins like to drop valve guides .... right into the cylinder. When the valve doesn't come back up because the guide dropped, the slack lets the push rod come loose and rattle around in the push rod gallery .... bags of fun

If you need a service manual, get me the model, type and code numbers .... I can probably find you a PDF file for parts and service.
    Last edited by John Bartley; 05-19-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Connecting rod crapped the bed. Spin the flywheel and the overhead valves still articulate, but the piston doesn't move. I will likely go get this from HF and just do a drop in placement rather than trying to rebuild the motor. From everything I read, when the rod lets go they usually do a lot of damage.

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...epa-62879.html
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Oh!!! yeah unless you got parts laying around probably not really worth fixing... have used the HF motors before with fairly good luck.

Found this one for even less money and it is virtually identical to the one coming out. Probably what I will do. https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...G1/p93291.html
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I've got stuff from them before... decent prices and pretty quick shipping didn't realize they sold separate motors too...

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Found this one for even less money and it is virtually identical to the one coming out. Probably what I will do. https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...G1/p93291.html
    I have a craftsman mower that looks like it uses the same engine. Mine started using oil last summer . It seemed to happen over night so I think I have a broken ring. I have to put oil in it every couple times I mow the grass now. I am sure I am on barowed time . I expect it to give up any time. I will run it till it dies before doing anything with it.

I was going to say that I'd never seen a Briggs V-twin drop a rod before, then I realised that you had a single cylinder motor, not a twin. I have seen those singles fail at the rod. If you have room for the V-twin it's well worth an extra $100 or $200.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I have a craftsman mower that looks like it uses the same engine. Mine started using oil last summer . It seemed to happen over night so I think I have a broken ring. I have to put oil in it every couple times I mow the grass now. I am sure I am on barowed time . I expect it to give up any time. I will run it till it dies before doing anything with it.
    Don't condemn the rings until you've done a cylinder leak-down test. The singles are known for blowing head gaskets between the cylinder and the push rod gallery. Check that first. It's a quick fix and inexpensive.

If you have room for the V-twin it's well worth an extra $100 or $200.
    I went with the 33S877-0019-G1 single cylinder from Amazon for $563...will be here Weds. It was such a straight drop in I couldn't resist. Even the throttle cable and fuel lines won't need to be changed. Just need to swap out the muffler.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Louie,
    If you are going to trash it, I need the charging windings under the flywheel, I will pay you to remove and ship. Just let me know how much. I repowered my old snapper comet and burned the charge windings accidentally when wiring it.
    TIA
    Dave

I went with the 33S877-0019-G1 single cylinder from Amazon for $563...will be here Weds. It was such a straight drop in I couldn't resist. Even the throttle cable and fuel lines won't need to be changed. Just need to swap out the muffler.
    Good stuff !! It should serve you well for years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Don't condemn the rings until you've done a cylinder leak-down test. The singles are known for blowing head gaskets between the cylinder and the push rod gallery. Check that first. It's a quick fix and inexpensive.
    Thanks John I will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by smilindave View Post
    Louie,
    If you are going to trash it, I need the charging windings under the flywheel, I will pay you to remove and ship. Just let me know how much. I repowered my old snapper comet and burned the charge windings accidentally when wiring it.
    TIA
    Dave
    I'd also be interested in the carburetor.

shoot me a price buddy old pal.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I had the B&S 810cc 30hp motor on my zero turn start acting up at the end of last year. Got a complete drop in from I thing PED for a tad under $1000, it was a 810cc but only rated at 27hp.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

I am in a boot because I had sergery on my left heel last week so I have not done anything with my mower but I have been investigating this possability on the internet. I am 90% sure the gasket went like you said. I will fix it if that is the case. It happened very sudden so this makes sense. It should only take a couple hrs to fix so that is better than getting a new mower. The mower is a 2004 but does a decent job on the lawn so its worth fixing if its not something major. Thanks again John!
    Last edited by thegary; 05-20-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I am in a boot because I had sergery on my left heel last week so I have not done anything with my mower but I have been investigating this possability on the internet. I am 90% sure the gasket went like you said. I will fix it if that is the case. It happened very sudden so this makes sense. It should only take a couple hrs to fix so that is better than getting a new mower. The mower is a 2004 but does a decent job on the lawn so its worth fixing if its not something major. Thanks again John!
    You're more than welcome and if you'll send me your model, type and code numbers I'll look up the parts for you. I should also be able to send you the service info for the repair. The model, type and code numbers are either on a tag or stamped into the sheet metal on a shroud.

cheers

You're more than welcome and if you'll send me your model, type and code numbers I'll look up the parts for you. I should also be able to send you the service info for the repair. The model, type and code numbers are either on a tag or stamped into the sheet metal on a shroud.

cheers
    When I hobble out to the mower I will get the info and send you a PM. It will probably be a week or so.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the 4 mounting bolts? Also is thread locker recommended in this application?
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Does anyone know the torque specs for the 4 mounting bolts? Also is thread locker recommended in this application?
    "application"

LMFAO...

torque specs for a lawnmower mounting bolt?????

common sense.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I ... DON'T know for sure, but I'd suspect that it'll be about the same or a bit less than the head bolts. If you did a bit of blue Loctite and torqued to about 12ftlbs as a start, you'd probably be fine. Just give it a check after a few hours.

If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested in learning. We never "torqued" mounting bolts .... we just tightened them.

All the new B&S motors I have installed have no threads in the holes. The old bolts are self tapping, I just clean them and install them till they are tight. Just make sure you start them straight.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

I found this. The hardware I removed was not the thread forming bolt type. I guess I'll see what the block on the new motor looks like later today. Interestingly, the bolts I removed all required a breaker bar to work them loose. They were in there TIGHT. The air gun wouldn't break them loose. Maybe just 13 years of corrosion or whatever.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/co...g_hardware.pdf
    Last edited by Louie1961; 05-23-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

All the new B&S motors I have installed have no threads in the holes. The old bolts are self tapping, I just clean them and install them till they are tight. Just make sure you start them straight.
    100% right George. Thanks. They are a b!tch to crank in though. Kind of wishing I ran them through on the bench before dropping the engine in. But it all worked out OK. Runs nice.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster