Did the filter upgrade on the big 40.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Did the filter upgrade on the big 40.

I really like this machine and the factory filter has been leaking so I did the upgrade. Since the coil moved I made a set of plug wires to.
    Turned out nice and cables made it run smoother.

Been playing with plug gap on the cylinder that's burning oil. She smokes alittle ok alot

Name:  20190519_120541_001.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  20190519_122045.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  137.4 KB

Just thought I'd share. Him haued around the oil filter setup and finally did it and glad I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by evan; 05-19-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Re: Did the filter upgrade on the big 40.

Fine reahstat burned at 65%
    Kinda sux
    Anyone know of a cheap replacement
    30ohm 300volt

Looking on miller website part# 605960 300 watt 34 ohm , priced online 200-300 $. Use your serial # to find correct one.

https://www.miller4less.com/advanced...x=7&search.y=7

Thanks for the tip. My machine is to old for serial number to pull up.
    On the phone with miller we figured out rough guesstimate of age and Ive down loaded those manuals.
    Like you I found it in 200-300 range. It's still welding so that's where my research stopped. I want to find a cheaper alternative.
    I know of a miller bone yard. Gota fi d time to there, and dig

Your awesome thank you. I have been using it as is. I'll get one orderd. So glad I didnt already pay over 200.

Welding above 65 has made me get out of my comfort zone. I'm actually running better welde now. Just on hot side sometimes fighting under cut

Thanks again

Big 40 burned this track bar.

Fine adjust is orderd
    Name:  20190612_192003.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  134.0 KB
    Name:  20190612_191929.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  80.3 KB

Normally I'd do these with my wirefeed but it decided to quit. Parts on the way for it to.
    Just thought I'd share
    Last edited by evan; 06-17-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Recieved the ebay rehostat pur the box the brush loses contact with the resistor then regained contact at 65is percent. The burst just about falls out of its arm at 50percent.

I contacted seller the informed they've sold lots with no reported issues and that an option would be to resell it for what I payed. And theyd give me a 10percent discount on a second one. Hmmmm. So I said I'd leave negative feed back because it's not an option for me to resell a faulty part to some unsuspecting person.

Later someone looked at there stock and said theres the same issue with alot ov them . And theyd send another one free of charge. Looks like I'll have a spare. Glad I didnt leafs feed back and glad I did say something. I was respectful to them.

I do think I've fixed the first one and maybe got them to pull other bad ones

Sheeees I'm having a hell of a time. Parts for my wire feed are deliverd and I dont know where, my house my dads my x wife ****. I need the thing working.

Sorry to hear about trouble with the parts File a claim with Ebay and they will get you a refund. Try one of the electronic parts stores ( Allied Electric, Mouser )for an other one.

Called my local Profax dealer for Reostat #PX605960 for 163.50
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 06-21-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Seller decided to send another one free of charge

Just curious, why did you mount the filter "upside down"?
    You will have a mess to clean up every time you change it because it will be full of oil all the way up to the brass elbows.
    Installed the other way around it will drain itself when you shut the engine off.
    It is a partial flow system so the filter does not need to be full at start up.

I'm guessing your looking at the lower of the first three photos. Filter installation appears correct.

Here is what the factory oil filter installation looks like.Name:  image_26619.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  53.6 KB

Interesting design, seems illogical to me. Each time it drains back, it would pull particulates back into the system. Does it have a check valve in the filter to prevent dirty oil from returning into the system?

Not sure how dirty oil would go back the wrong way.

Its bypass system only part of oil goes through the filter. When this motor was I introduced on jeeps and small tractors it didnt use a filter. The filter set up was later added due to public demand.

To me it's not normal to run a filter with the sealing gasket down.
    99percnt of all filters I've touched are set up like this or horizontally.

Its aftermarket has pressure reducer so it forces oil to bypass it. Factory filter is bypassing filter. This filter is standerd filter but has valve ahead of it so that it doesn't starve the motor of oil. Hmmm I'm not entirely sure it would starve but it's not recommended to run a standerd non bypass filter on this engine with out doing a bypass deal ahead of the filter.

Yes rex is correct that's the factory set up he pictured

If the oil filter does not have a check valve in it the dirty oil will siphon back into the oil pan at shut down. My experience is with automotive engines, most of your Chevrolet and other domestics use a filter that's mounted with the gasket up. This is typical with the gasoline powered V-8 engines. Most all of these engines use a bypass type spin on oil filter mount that allows oil to bypass the filter when pressures exceed a given value. This arrangement helps prevent oil starvation in extremely cold climates at start up. I"m confused about your bypassing filter vs non bypassing filter, but in either case the filter only typically would only bypass oil if pressures exceeded given values, meaning that oil is always going through it unless pressures spike. That said, it's always best to have your filter as well as all oil passages full of oil prior to start up. I'm guessing that in your application, the engine bearings are being starved of oil until the filter fills up with oil and all the air in that filter is pushed out of the oil passages, effectively eliminating the the oil film that protects your bearings. In this particular installation shown by the OP, if the filter doesn't have a built in anti siphon valve, it too will drain back into the oil pan at shutdown, as the oil pan is located far below the filter.

The bearings are not starved of oil because this is a partial flow system as opposed to the automotive systems you are familiar with.
    In a partial flow system the filter is not in between the pump and the bearings, it is on a branch off of this path and only filters
    a small portion of the oil being pumped.
    Up until the late forties or so most cars and industrial equipment did not have oil filters at all.
    The partial flow system was an add on that was better than nothing, barely.
    Full flow oil filters didn't become commonplace until the early fifties.

So I know have two rehostats from one ebay seller one I payed for one was a free replacement for the non functioning one I first received.
    Upon unpackaging the second one I was disappointed to see this brush also loose contact at midrange on the resistor.

The first one I have not installed yet but have fixed it to function. I'll be installing it soon.
    Was out burning some 7018 today and was able to pull off some good looking vertical up welds even with my machine kinda in limp mud. I was unable to go up on coarse and down on fine.

Though again I pulled off good welds with this handicap I truly believe being handicapped and welding outside my comfort zone has helped make me a better welder