Practice Welding 20” Pipe - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Practice Welding 20” Pipe

You are the lucky owner of a 1957 Lincoln Idealarc 250. Those are the template that you judge other transformer stick welders. When you see green faceplates and the plate around the line switch you know it’s old. Blow it out and lube the amperage adjustment gears and it’s good for another 20 years. I have a 1989 which is the last year for the round top. They had a long run, 1953 to 1989.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Well I hope your son has good luck with the bigger machine

As far as your concerned 123weld I might be a nobody to you and I am to old to argue with you but I have welded procedure test for innershield , mig wire , stick all under api 1104 and api 1107 not many gas lines are welded uphill but this is not the scope of this thread

Good luck to you and your son enjoy your time together

Spent most of the afternoon fooling with it. Changed the power cord. Guy had a range cord and didn't even hook up the ground. Going to put it on wheels. Bolted an angle on the bottom on the back side that I am going to weld an axle to with 2 wheels. Putting swivels in the front. Saw one here that had been restored that had wheels. Had to make some insulators where the leads came through the front cowl. Guy had one with only electric tape. Was wondering if I should lube the polarity switch. It seems a little tight. What do you lube it with - WD40? Coming alone nice. Real nice for $100.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by WFM; 05-27-2019 at 09:28 PM.

In the polarity switch there are some little rollers that are spring loaded that hold the detents to index the contacts. I put white grease on those so they can actually roll after you clean them with contact cleaner or such.

Steve

Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

I see it has the power factor capacitors as well.

Steve

Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Quote Originally Posted by WFM View Post
    ...What do you lube it with - WD40?...
    WD40 works better as cleaner/degreaser as it works as lube. There are other products out there that would do a much better job as a lube. I would use dielectric grease and just a little bit, no need to smear the whole thing in it.

For insulating and protecting the cable passage in the front plate, I would try to source the appropiate size rubber cable strain relieves instead of a simpler rubber groomet. It should help to extend the life of the welding cable preventing chaffing in this spot.

The machine looks great BTW.

Mikel

Congratulations Dad, you are raising one of the good ones. When that baby pops out, life changes and now we suddenly have to prove our own character. "You done good!"

Not to mention that lathe. Looks like you were raised correctly too! Thanks for sharing.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Ok, I need help with this issue. Was putting the name plates back on the front of the welder and noticed that the power switch was installed upside down. Not a big deal, I just flipped it and loosened the connections to re-position them on the switch. Then I noticed a wire that was taped and not connected. There were the 2 power wires from the switch and a third wire. I thought, maybe this is the ground that the guy I bought it from failed to connect. Wrong. I turned on the machine and put my electric meter on it and it is 350 volts. Has a very small lug like it went to a capacitor or ?? I can't see any place that it would connect. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just figured it out. Found a wiring diagram online. H1, H2 and H3. Note says: For low voltage (240) connect H1 and H2 and insulated H3. For high voltage (480) connect H1 and H3 and insulate H2. Wow, insulate H3 at 350 volts. Seems kind of high but it is what it is.

You got it. H3 needs isolated and she’s good to go. You always should checked these machines and Miller Dialarc250 and other multi voltage welders for what wires to use or jumpers to place. If a machine is wired for high voltage and you hook to 230V the fan runs really slow and it will have a weak arc even at high settings.

Steve

Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    As far as your concerned 123weld I might be a nobody to you and I am to old to argue with you but I have welded procedure test for innershield , mig wire , stick all under api 1104 and api 1107 not many gas lines are welded uphill but this is not the scope of this thread
    you couldn't argue, cuz you aint got a case. the kid isn't welding gas pipe (not even close), he's trying to learn to weld. theres not a member here besides yourself , that would tell a begginer to weld downhill on that (especially 7018). go take a nap if your that old, meantime i'll straighten things up for you

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    you couldn't argue, cuz you aint got a case. the kid isn't welding gas pipe (not even close), he's trying to learn to weld. theres not a member here besides yourself , that would tell a begginer to weld downhill on that (especially 7018). go take a nap if your that old, meantime i'll straighten things up for you
    Really hate to burst your bubble, but if that gas pipe is buried in the ground more than likely it was welded with a downhill process. I've seen several miles of used 22" gas line and it was all downhill welding, I've also seen several miles of 18" steam pipe that was downhill welded by the guys of the 598 local at the Hanford nuclear site. No 7018 to be found. Mostly 7010 and 8010 depending on the grade of the pipe.
    If it's above ground you will more than likely see uphill welding on gas pipe. I tore a gas fired boiler out of a local steam plant and all the 4"gas connections were downhill welded with 6010. Some really good looking welds too.

the nice thing about welding bigger stuff, either up or down, while learning is you can practice changing positions and technique on the move, because your burning a full rod between radical angle changes instead of fighting your starts and stops the whole time.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

All I did was refer to the start of the thread when the gentleman stated that his son was working on installing 20 inch gas line under the streets so I assumed by those statements and the fact that the pictures of his welds appear to be downhill and I was trying to help because there are multiple ways to weld everything and I had to learn a lot of things the hard way was trying to help the young man

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Really hate to burst your bubble, .
    you cant . not by someone whose status is low enough on the clown ladder as yourself. by evidence of: recently accusing member "midnightfant" of generating a thread for "sympathy tricks", when in fact he just wanted advice on a backhoe. then when he calls you on it, you tell him/everyone "what he attempted for days, you could accomplish in 20 minutes. then when you couldnt produce, "you weasel out w/ excuses", instead of apologizing. see, you come barking up my tree, when you cant even handle your own problems
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-29-2019 at 10:18 PM.

you cant . not by someone whose status is low enough on the clown ladder as yourself. by evidence of: recently accusing member "midnightfant" of generating a thread for "sympathy tricks", when in fact he just wanted advice. then when he calls you on it, you tell him/everyone "what he attempted for days, you could accomplish in 20 minutes:. then when you couldnt produce, "you weasel out w/ excuses", instead of apologizing. see, you come barking up my tree, when you cant even handle your own problems
    You need to pull your head out and reread that thread. And I did sincerely try to help the guy in the parts network. You are another one of those "you don't know me types" By the way, How does this have anything to do with welding gas pipe? A bit of cactus in your diaper?

" By the way, How does this have anything to do with welding gas pipe??
    they both show you dont think/understand before you type/talk. as your lengthy eplanation in post #37, doesnt reflect on the point of conflict. the conflict is mainly over me being accused of overwhelming the kid w/ procedures, and to let him weld, by leogl, and whether his 7018 is up or down. the conflict isnt over how gas pipe is welded in the field. and thats what your reply was 99% about in #37. see, you dont think/understand, before you open your mouth. i did reread your backhoe page. i'd be embarrassed if i was you
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-29-2019 at 10:39 PM.

they both show you dont think/understand before you type/talk. as your lengthy eplanation in post #37, doesnt reflect on the point of conflict. the conflict is mainly over me being accused of overwhelming the kid w/ procedures, and to let him weld, by leogl, and whether his 7018 is up or down. the conflict isnt over how gas pipe is welded in the field. and thats what your reply was 99% about in #37. see, you dont think/understand, before you open your mouth. i did reread your backhoe page. i'd be embarrassed if i was you
    You wouldn't want to work for me then. I just tell it like it is. I don't know you or your experience but you are the kind that seems to be driving off some of our more experienced members. Seems to be a lot of lesser experienced types on here that have huge toy lists that like to jump on people for telling it like is. Post 37 is from my past experience. And the backhoe guy figured out where I was coming from too. You... are a nitpicker.

You wouldn't want to work for me then. I just tell it like it is. I don't know you or your experience but you are the kind that seems to be driving off some of our more experienced members. Seems to be a lot of lesser experienced types on here that have huge toy lists that like to jump on people for telling it like is. Post 37 is from my past experience. And the backhoe guy figured out where I was coming from too. You... are a nitpicker.
    Perhaps some of these clowns have multiple web identities. Sure seems to be a run of these dufuses lately.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

I just tell it like it is. You... are a nitpicker.
    thats all i'm doin "telling it like it reads". what i been typing cant be made up, - its all in black and white . hey, you came barking at me first, i'm just responding w/ the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Perhaps some of these clowns have multiple web identities. Sure seems to be a run of these dufuses lately.
    I was really trying to be nice.

are you calling me a clown mjd?

I'm not calling you a clown as you haven't done anything with me. I was referring to another individual that 12 v and I had previously referred too. Your spat isn't my concern , but in my opinion, for what it's worth, doesn't help your particular cause any .
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

thats all i'm doin "telling it like it reads". what i been typing cant be made up, - its all in black and white . hey, you came barking at me first, i'm just responding w/ the facts.
    I didn't bark at you, just made an honest post about downhill welding on gas pipe. If your going to take it personal... Too bad. If you cant handle honest posts... Too bad. You're starting to look a little small minded here. (Honest post)

alright, well this small mind is going to log out in about 10 min. so if you got anything more to say, please do it soon. otherwise goodnight