Miller 330 A/BP shielding gas problem
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller 330 A/BP shielding gas problem

Howdy from Colorado,

I'll get to the heart of the matter. I just got my wonderful thousand-pound beast a month ago. I was wondering if any of you fine people could shed some light on this odd coloring on these tig welds.Name:  weird weld.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  172.5 KB My settings were 90amp 20psi argon 3/32 tungsten on 1/4 in steel
    Small shop welder. Miller 330 A/BP 460amp, oxy-torch, Rivet fordge.

Re: Miller 330 A/BP shielding gas problem

Is that mill scale all over the base material?
    https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ing-calculator
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Looks like a flame cut edge.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

the surface was ground off on a small bench grinder. could it have been small pockets of rust not visible to the eye?
    Last edited by Alexmiller; 05-25-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Do you have a nice sharp point on the tungsten?

Kinda looks like a long arc or a screwed up tungsten tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I definitely had sharpened it to a pencil point at the beginning. Another thing I have been having trouble with is the tig function is acting like a scratch start even though I have the system set up with high-frequency start engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmiller View Post
    Another thing I have been having trouble with is the tig function is acting like a scratch start even though I have the system set up with high-frequency start engaged.
    For some odd reason, those machines start the arc more reliably when you touch the tungsten to the metal, then lift up just prior to hitting the pedal.
    Mine does the same thing, and others have reported similar.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

thank you for all the help so far

If you have to touch torch to metal lift then press foot control to get an arc.
    Try removing the HF points and clean them with a wire brush. (bench grinder with wire wheel).
    Install and set gap to 0.008 or 0.009. HF was never very good in these units. But should jump 3/32 to 1/8 inch.
    20 psi may be too much gas, depends on the nozzle used. When you are welding a DC arc should be almost silent. If it sounds like a rocket engine the gas flow is to high and you are pulling air into the gas.
    Try using 5 to 10 psi or switch to a flow meter. With a flow meter, you can set up using the TIG weld charts.
    OR get a helper to turn down the gas while you weld, a little at a time until you get little to no sound.

Look inside the torch cup if yellow, you have a gas leak. yellow shows up when welding with little or no gas.
    the weld looks like your picture. Gas leaks can be anywhere from the bottle top to the torch. Gas valve and hoses. Sometimes are hard to find. You can use gas leak find, glass cleaner any spray soap that bubbles.
    Be careful using around live electrical circuits. Might be able to hear the leak if you disconnect the fan.

My first suspect would be the metal. It looks to be heavily rusted and then cleaned. If it has deep rust pockets they will come out looking like your weld. If you still have trouble on good clean metal then I would suspect leak in your argon feed line or too high of argon pressure. If the pressure is too high the gas will swirl like a mushroom cloud does. When it does that and rolls back in it picks up contaminents from the air .

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    If you have to touch torch to metal lift then press foot control to get an arc.
    Try removing the HF points and clean them with a wire brush. (bench grinder with wire wheel).
    Install and set gap to 0.008 or 0.009. HF was never very good in these units. But should jump 3/32 to 1/8 inch.
    20 psi may be too much gas, depends on the nozzle used. When you are welding a DC arc should be almost silent. If it sounds like a rocket engine the gas flow is to high and you are pulling air into the gas.
    Try using 5 to 10 psi or switch to a flow meter. With a flow meter, you can set up using the TIG weld charts.
    OR get a helper to turn down the gas while you weld, a little at a time until you get little to no sound.

Look inside the torch cup if yellow, you have a gas leak. yellow shows up when welding with little or no gas.
    the weld looks like your picture. Gas leaks can be anywhere from the bottle top to the torch. Gas valve and hoses. Sometimes are hard to find. You can use gas leak find, glass cleaner any spray soap that bubbles.
    Be careful using around live electrical circuits. Might be able to hear the leak if you disconnect the fan.
    oh, that makes sense I'll try all this today. I have done the soapy water trick, I had just forgotten to mark where it was at.

Without knowing what cup size you have I suspect a gas flow issue. Best way to confirm flow at the torch is a portable gas flow tester. Name:  Portable_Flowmeter.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  13.5 KB You can find them on ebay or get them at Netwelding.com

If you do find a bad flow check your torch parts for a crushed collet, bad gas lens, broken back cap. And look inside to see if the gas port is blocked. Also look for a hole in your torch hose. Keep looking backwards to your welder, then look at the regulator hose and regulator.

Could be a crap flowmeter. You could use the portable flow tester on the end of your regulator hose.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Name:  IMG-1638.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  97.3 KB here is an update on the welding. I cleaned my metal better as well as plugged up some holes in my hose. now on to the high-frequency cleaning next time I'm in my shop. otherwise, I'm super happy with the strives each step creates.

Hey guys i have tried to clean the spark gap points. I sanded them with 240 grit sand paper and then 400. I gaped it to .008 with feeler gages.
    I also have some new capacitors being shipped in. Is there anything else i can do to fix the high frequency start?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmiller View Post
    Is there anything else i can do to fix the high frequency start?
    Increasing the spark gap in the points (I think Miller recommends up to .013" ... check your manual) should also increase your HF pilot arc intensity.

Thanks guys. I still need to touch a little but it doesn’t damage my tungsten as much. And the welds don’t look to bad. Thanks for all the help