Just starting. Tripping 20 amp breaker on Arcmaster 141 ACDC - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Just starting. Tripping 20 amp breaker on Arcmaster 141 ACDC

Quote Originally Posted by aMop View Post
    So an update. I took it to my mom's house yesterday and plugged it in to a 20 amp outlet her washer runs on. It seemed like it could run at a higher amp than it could at my house, but still tripped her 20 amp breaker when running at 140A on the machine. So then I went to Lowes and bought a single non gfci 20amp outlet and installed it at my house. No improvement. This morning I went to harbor freight and bought a clamp meter, the video below is the machine just started up after no use for 14hrs running 140 amps on DC tig(meter hovers around 28-30 amps). Then I called ESAB support. Guy said for 120v welders 30amp breaker is needed. In my first post the picture shows the product manual says maximum recommended fuse/breaker rating 20 Amps. oh well.

hf ftw
    "It's always SPOOOOOOKY Season."

NJ- "Its only illegal if you get caught" - Chinesium welder

Yoda: Overlord of Magic Smoke, I am

Re: Just starting. Tripping 20 amp breaker on Arcmaster 141 ACDC

I was under the impression that code didn't allow an oversize breaker for some reason, but have a hard time finding 15 amp breakers locally. I was notorious for running 12 wire for 15 amp receptacles, but it is hard for me to get it wrapped around the screws, especially with my old decrepit hands. I di get ahold of some that wired from the back using screw clamps & really liked them, a little more costly, but hey, I've always been a little leery of the 49 cent cheapies.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN