EMP Rebel 285ic Spot Weld?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

EMP Rebel 285ic Spot Weld?

Can anyone explain to me how this feature works?

I've got my machine set up with:

.035 wire
    Wire speed 120 ipm
    Volts 16.5
    standard nozzle
    standard tip
    35% inductance
    C25 gas
    spot weld feature on
    timer set to 1.0 seconds

Pull the trigger, and nothing. No gas, no wire feed, no nothing in the owners manual about spot welding, except an explanation of the menu icon.

I touched the wire to the work piece, thinking maybe it needs the circuit closed, nothing. I touched the nozzle to the work piece (because I notice that a special nozzle is sold for spot welding), nothing.

Google search coming up empty, except for a mention of the spot feature in the product description at ESAB, and other sites that sell this machine.

TFT Multilingual Display – Packed full of features, Rebel EMP 285ic has 4 programmable memory locations for each process, multi-language selection, trim adjustment, inductance control, pre/post flow control and spot weld setting - giving you the ability to fine tune your welds for the most optimal performance
    Just say, Know.

Re: EMP Rebel 285ic Spot Weld?

OK

I think I figured it out.

First, you have to unplug your TIG torch, plug the MIG lead into the positive, the work clamp to the negative, and change over the remote wire from your foot pedal to the MIG remote.

Don't I feel a bit DERPY!

Any discussion, or pointers on using this feature are still welcome.

Even if you want to tell me how dim of wit I am.
    Just say, Know.