Welding bolts to sheet metal (firewall) - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Welding bolts to sheet metal (firewall)

If heat spreading a bit more around it isn't a problem (doesn't look lite it will be) I'd braze it. Preferably with silver solder, nice capillary action that fills the area between the head and sheet metal. Probably stronger than many welded varieties.

I don't think I've ever welded on a floorboard/firewall with so little rust. If I hadnt noticed the rust by the foot pedal , I was gonna ask if it was aluminum. There's still plenty of metal left to weld to, most of the time floorboards(up north) are a thin layer of rusty metal. I would start my arc in the middle of the head with low pedal, get my filler located, and then walk the arc to the edge and tack it. That way I wouldn't put too much heat into the sheet metal. Its always a challenge to find a good foot pedal location/torch angle/filler feed position when doing TIG off of the bench.

Have fun, its good practice.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

Quote Originally Posted by G-son View Post
    If heat spreading a bit more around it isn't a problem (doesn't look lite it will be) I'd braze it. Preferably with silver solder, nice capillary action that fills the area between the head and sheet metal. Probably stronger than many welded varieties.
    Curious. I haven't brazed before. Though, I want to try that too.

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    I don't think I've ever welded on a floorboard/firewall with so little rust. If I hadnt noticed the rust by the foot pedal , I was gonna ask if it was aluminum. There's still plenty of metal left to weld to, most of the time floorboards(up north) are a thin layer of rusty metal. I would start my arc in the middle of the head with low pedal, get my filler located, and then walk the arc to the edge and tack it. That way I wouldn't put too much heat into the sheet metal. Its always a challenge to find a good foot pedal location/torch angle/filler feed position when doing TIG off of the bench.

Have fun, its good practice.
    Yeah, I was pretty fortunate to get a Jeep with little rust. There was one spot on the torsion box that I had to patch up. (That was a learning experience too.)
    If you want to follow along as I build it back up, check it out here. (Page two is where the build actually starts.)

Interesting about starting in the middle of the bolt head. With scratch start, I find it difficult to find the pedal sweet spot. Good point, though, to not put too much heat on the sheet metal.

I’m glad you posted the photo. Shows the nice prep and location not nearly as cluttered as I envisioned. G-son’s suggestion of brazing is a good option.

Next photo will show it done, right???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

What about TIG brazing with silicon-bronze filler?

You can keep the amperage low enough at max pedal so there is little to no chance of burning through the fire wall.

Plenty strong, for this application.
    Just say, Know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I’m glad you posted the photo. Shows the nice prep and location not nearly as cluttered as I envisioned. G-son’s suggestion of brazing is a good option.

Next photo will show it done, right???
    LOL. Hopefully!! I plan on pulling the body of the chassis in the not-too-distant future to get it painted. I will weld the bolt on then. Will snap some pics of it and post - good or bad.

I did cut off a bracket from the tub that is the same thickness as the firewall. This will give me a chance to practice on similar material.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Bastard View Post
    What about TIG brazing with silicon-bronze filler?

You can keep the amperage low enough at max pedal so there is little to no chance of burning through the fire wall.

Plenty strong, for this application.
    Brazing is a possibility. As mentioned, I have not tried brazing before. I looked at some silicon-bronze filler the other day. I just need to get some.

I figured out that the firewall is 13 gauge. According to my "auto" welder, I should be running at 65 amps with 1/16" filler rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    I would first weld the bolt head through a large washer the same thickness as the firewall, then weld the washer to the firewall, this will give you a bigger area to weld on the firewall for strength and less chance of burn through welding same thickness metals, also less tendency to crack the firewall by spreading the load over a bigger area..
    Great point. That is exactly what I was going to say. I have done that several times on my prerunner...
    Welds last longer than Love...

Quote Originally Posted by t2true View Post
    1/16" filler rod. Yes, scratch start with pedal.

90 amps.
    Do yourself a favor and use your mig. You'll play hell with scratch start and a foot pedal. The nutserts are the way to go. Some actually have a notch in the sert to prevent spinning. Like anything, you can buy good stuff or cheap stuff.
    Last edited by Showdog75; 06-07-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Don't know what your mounting and if it has to go flush to metal but with that nice big head on one side just use some sealer and a flange nut on the other side to hold bolt in place. I mean if it must be welded but sometimes mechanical may be the answer. Not sure in your case just a suggestion if it will work here for you I don't know.

It does look like it could be welded easily though.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Don't know what your mounting and if it has to go flush to metal but with that nice big head on one side just use some sealer and a flange nut on the other side to hold bolt in place. I mean if it must be welded but sometimes mechanical may be the answer. Not sure in your case just a suggestion if it will work here for you I don't know.

It does look like it could be welded easily though.
    It's holding the accelerator pedal on the inside. It doesn't have to be welded. But, if I have to take the pedal off again in the future, I'm sure it will slip on the firewall side. Sealer might work, but the heat in the engine bay may erode it over time.

I think welding it is the best solution; the OEM studs are welded in place.

There have been some great suggestions. I hope to working on it this week.