Contacts safe in welding?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Contacts safe in welding?

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has any problems welding with contacts in? I have heard some companies prohibit wearing contacts, but I've never actually heard a story where someone had a problem from wearing them.
    Bellingham Technical College
    Pipe Welding and Pipe Fitting _ Instructor/Students
    AWS Accredited Test Facility

Kyle Miller
    Welding Technologies instructor - Pipe Trades

Re: Contacts safe in welding?

Yes, but. . .

If you get debris in your eye it is important to get the contact out, quickly and carefully. But I'm sure, as a contact wearer you already know that.

The whole, "it will melt to your eye," thing is a myth.
    Just say, Know.

Been doing it for over 20 years. No problems.
    I noticed at first I needed to blink more often to keep my eyes moist. (We tend to blink less often when concentrating on something like welding.) I think the newer contacts do a better job of hydrating or else my body has adapted and I don't notice it.

Before contacts I got metal bits in my eyes quite frequently. Getting them removed SUCKS.
    Now it seems they stick to the contact lens and I just grab a new pair. If one eye is really irritated, many times I can inspect the lens and find a tiny black dot. Sometimes it will have a little orange rust ring around it.(rust)
    Also there is a far better selection of safety glasses than prescription safety glasses. Plain safety glasses are also much cheaper and often do a better job becase they usually cover more area and fit better.
    Bottom line, for me there are more benefits than risks.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Had them. No thanks.
    Know lots metal melters who wear them.I tried a while
    I like me some wire framed specz. Wore glasses since 1959. All good for me.
    Make sure and get titanium frames so those thighs don't bend them oughta shape.
    Eating too fast causes lots of issues
    Name:  earslower.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  68.6 KB

if you need glasses to locate the dining spot titanium frames probably won't help.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

My dad always told me that if you "flashed" yourself wearing contacts that the lens would "weld" itself to your eyeball. Don't know if it's true, but this was before all the fancy ones of today.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

About twenty years I've been fine. You still need safety glasses.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

I'm using 1 month contact lenses.

If I wear them to metal working I can throw them away at the end at the day. Because they will be burning/scratching my eyes after few hours. And washing contact lenses won't help - they are just done. Probably fumes from flux cored MIG? I don't know, but I can't wear them for this reasson.

No go - smoke and dust aggravate.

Many years ago I had contacts and discovered that when skiing in a snowstorm I didn't need goggles! Ha Ha The snow hitting my eyes hit the lens and all was good. It was rather weird.
    Yes dirt under a lens is a bother but no they will not fuse to your eyeball.

The primary problem is most modern contacts are micro-porous so as to allow the eye to “breath”. Dust, contaminates, and smoke particles get trapped in the pores of the contact and that is what causes the irritation.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

I wear them all the time. Glasses give me poorer vision. I'm exposed to a wide variety of contaminants including weld smoke. I keep an old pair souped for spray painting day. Otherwise I use them 3 months.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.