Plasma cutter
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Plasma cutter

Plasma cutter

Good evening
    I’ve just joined the forum with the hope of getting some advice from people more knowledgable than myself.
    I am about to buy a plasma cutter. I am confused by the information I am getting.
    I know very little about them, but I need to buy something that can cut up to 10mm mild steel.
    The ESAB cutmaster 40 seems to fulfil this requirement as per the figures on their website.
    However the dealer says that the 40 amp machine cannot cut 10mm , I will need the 60 amp machine.
    I would rather not have a 3 phase 440v machine if I can help it.
    Can anyone here help with some advice ?
    Much appreciated and thank you for the time.

Re: Plasma cutter

Your option for hand cutting are Thermal Dynamics 60i or Cutmaster 58 ( I think that's the new one, was the 52). In Hypertherm the 45xp or Powermax 65. These will all work on single phase and get the job done.

The 60i is a great plasma cutter, plus there is a rebate deal going on. Hypertherm is a little more expensive but cuts real nice also.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Thank you for the reply !
    I believe the ESAB cutmaster 60i is 3 phase. Is there a single phase option ?

Cutmaster 60i is single or three phase. I have the single phase unit and have been very pleased

Most 40 amp plasma cutters can cut 10mm mild steel with no trouble. The person that told you it couldn't was a salesman not a user.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Primeweld dealer and tech support
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Most 40 amp plasma cutters can cut 10mm mild steel with no trouble. The person that told you it couldn't was a salesman not a user.
    I figured :-)

Im not very knowledgeable. Ive been a diver based out of Aberdeen for many years. Started off as a sub sea welder in the late 1980's, but don't know a whole lot about TIG, MIG and Plasma. We used stick underwater and Broco cutters.
    Looking forward to getting a new plasma cutter. Im sure it beats wrestling with the old 9 inch angle grinder with cutting wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rd650 View Post
    Cutmaster 60i is single or three phase. I have the single phase unit and have been very pleased
    They don't offer the single phase 60i here in India. I called ESAB directly, because I didn't trust the salesman. Apparently here they only offer the 40 as a single phase machine. The 60i is 3 phase 440v.

An older 35 amp plasma was sold as a half inch machine (12.7mm).
    so any new 40 amp plasma should cut ok but slowly. For production cutting they are 3/8 inch machines.(9.52)
    A 60 amp machine will cut cleaner at faster speeds.
    If you can only get CE spec machines, then that limits your options to those machines.
    In USA we can get multi voltage machines that will run from 200 to 500 volts and operate on single or 3 phase power. Some are automatic , some are manual select.
    A lot of CE machines are single voltage and single or 3 phase only. CE rules.

one thing to remember when looking at sales brochures. Plasma machines are rated 3 ways.
    sever, cut, and production. Sever is just that. not a clean cut and you will have to break the metal apart.
    Cut is the thickest metal you can cut cleanly but a cut may take a long time.
    Production should have a minimum travel speed with a very clean cut.
    This is how 35 to 40 amp machines can be rated at 3/4. 1/2 and 3/8 inches.
    Production speeds can be 80 to 100 inches per minute.

If you look deep enough in owners manuals and torch manuals you will find cut charts.
    They are designed for cnc cutting machines. But you can use them to compare machines and how well
    they can cut. There are three types of tables. air, on water and under water.
    Air is just how it sounds. in a vise or on a rack no water near.
    On water, is a cutting table filled with water to just the under side of the metal plate.
    Controls smoke and noise.
    Under water is even quieter. Machine cutting only.
    When using charts to compare machines just make sure to use the same process charts.

IF you want to buy only once , HYPERTHERM end of story. You don't need to ask anything, BEST in industry,MADE IN USA , EMPLOYEE owned, and excellent customer service. IF you have a opportunity to go to a show like FABTECH, you'll see why I say HYPERTHERM. Almost everywhere you look and see a plasma table setup , Hypertherm is being used.
    If you don't want the best choose another. Expensive ? Research about consumables on the others . You'll find some interesting results.

Hypertherm but if it's all day with 3/8(10mm) go with the 65 for speed.The 45 cuts it nice but I wouldn't want to be slicing 3/8 by the foot all day long with it.
    Here's Coconut Head with a 45 and some 1/2' He's actually pulling a lil too fast. It cut it nicely but too slow for my taste. My 65 will peel across 1/2" like slicing a steak in comparison. 3/8 with a 65 cuts FAST

use this one

reasonable price

good torch

pilot arc

Name:  plasma front.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  162.0 KB

Charl

Thanks ! That’s great information !

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Hypertherm but if it's all day with 3/8(10mm) go with the 65 for speed.The 45 cuts it nice but I wouldn't want to be slicing 3/8 by the foot all day long with it.
    Here's Coconut Head with a 45 and some 1/2' He's actually pulling a lil too fast. It cut it nicely but too slow for my taste. My 65 will peel across 1/2" like slicing a steak in comparison. 3/8 with a 65 cuts FAST
    Hypertherm isn’t available here. ESAB is the go to industrial brand here. I get your point about cutting speed. I will probably get the Cutmaster 60i.

The Hypertherm Powermax45XP will cut 10 mm at about 1350 mm/min (25 ipm), it will cut it all day with no duty cycle issues. Because Hypertherm units shipped to India conform to the CE electrical safety specs, the 45xp is the largest Hypertherm plasma that will run on single phase power. The Powermax65 and 85 that are built for USA CSA specs will run on single phase, however the CE units will not. Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The Hypertherm Powermax45XP will cut 10 mm at about 1350 mm/min (25 ipm), it will cut it all day with no duty cycle issues. Because Hypertherm units shipped to India conform to the CE electrical safety specs, the 45xp is the largest Hypertherm plasma that will run on single phase power. The Powermax65 and 85 that are built for USA CSA specs will run on single phase, however the CE units will not. Jim Colt
    That makes sense. I couldn’t figure why they wouldn’t offer it as a single phase machine

no replacement for sheer power. If you have the budget, get the bigger one. Both ESAB machines are well regarded, although not quite as good as Hypertherm. if it was my money and had the option, I'd be getting whichever would be cheaper out of a XP45 or a 60i.

The 60i is a great machine. Falls in a place between a 45XP and a Hypertherm 65. Since I had all three I can say that for sure. Of course the Amazon deals have made the 60i a unbelievable value. The Piercing, and gouging/plus low amp gouging is super controllable. You can hold the torch straight down on a spot weld, and peel away one layer at a time.. I don't miss my hypertherm stuff at all. Excellent machines too..

If you look at Jaws post. you will notice he says some of the same things.. He owns a 45XP, and Hypertherm 85, and a few 60i's too. Single, and three phase models. Thermal has done nice job with that machine..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i (Beast)
    Klutch P-300i/ 120 volt Plasma.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I have an somewhat older Esab powercut 400 (which is a 30A machine) on 230 single phase and it will cut 10mm.
    It's not a nice clean cut, but that's more my fault than the Esab's. I'm not as steady as i used to be. It will also sever 13mm.
    So i guess the Esab cutmaster 40 should have no real problems wih 10mm.
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    I have an somewhat older Esab powercut 400 (which is a 30A machine) on 230 single phase and it will cut 10mm.
    It's not a nice clean cut, but that's more my fault than the Esab's. I'm not as steady as i used to be. It will also sever 13mm.
    So i guess the Esab cutmaster 40 should have no real problems wih 10mm.
    The Powercut 400 cuts excellent. Setup for a shielded nozzle it does a great job.. This is comparing it to a cutmaster 42. The PT-39 torch has excellent cut speed for a 30 amp machine..Really smooth cuts even in 5/8 MS..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i (Beast)
    Klutch P-300i/ 120 volt Plasma.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Exactly. Draw a line 25" long and take one minute to do it. Try not to fall asleep. It's slow.
    Jim. What's the 3/8 velocity on a 65 ? Just under double ?

Book spec for 3/8" steel with the 65 amp Powermax process is 45 ipm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Exactly. Draw a line 25" long and take one minute to do it. Try not to fall asleep. It's slow.
    Jim. What's the 3/8 velocity on a 65 ? Just under double ?