Counter to hold commercial coffee machine.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Counter to hold commercial coffee machine.

Hi

New to the forum - i’ve been self-teaching myself to weld over the last few years, doing little jobs for friends, but been trying to step things up recently and been asked by a friend to design and fabricate a counter to take his 70kg coffee machine for his cafe.

I’m thinking about this frame design, with the counter part in 30mm angle, and the shelving part in maybe 25mm angle. Counter top and shelves, solid 24mm cedar and lightweight wood facing. The faint lines in different colours are the diagonal struts, probably in the same gauge angle.

The big uprights are going to be big square tubes. The whole thing will be bolted to the wall behind and to a pillar at the far end. The front of the counter open with no diagonals.

Name:  56E7A4AA-28BB-4631-B7EF-69EA8901A0B6.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  86.1 KB

I’m gonna do a practice run building a similar thing as a welding table in my workshop, but before I start out I would like to get any first reactions on whether this is going to work or is going to end up like a spaghetti tower?!

Square tube is also an option, but I want to use stick (only have stick and TIG machines atm) and guessing the tube walls will be too thin for that, and feeling like tube wil be more complex when putting in the diagonal supports.

Any input much appreciated!!

Re: Counter to hold commercial coffee machine.

I take it this will be made from stainless or some other non-rusting material?

No, normal hot-rolled steel angle, but with a few coats of decent paint.

30 x 2 angle will be a bit waffy... but depends heavily on what countertop you put on it... all screwed up tightly it will be fairly rigid. The more you screw/bolt the sides onto it, the stronger it will be. Using like 1/2" MDF sides or similar will mean you won't need any steel bracing at all.

30 x 3 angle will be better, but it will weigh a ton.

I would rethink your steel choice. Even if it is painted, the constant cleaning, wiping and moisture environment the paint will start peeling. Here in the US most all food service structures are stainless. And yes tube stainless with sealed openings would be my choice for your structure.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    30 x 2 angle will be a bit waffy... but depends heavily on what countertop you put on it... all screwed up tightly it will be fairly rigid. The more you screw/bolt the sides onto it, the stronger it will be. Using like 1/2" MDF sides or similar will mean you won't need any steel bracing at all.

30 x 3 angle will be better, but it will weigh a ton.

Unfortunately the front needs to be open-able at the front because the pump and all the hoses, wiring, storage etc is gonna be in there. So can’t really put anything structural there. Same for the back... and need something solid to bolt the shelf supports to.

Weight isn’t really a problem (after it’s in!) as it isn’t going to be moved around once it’s in there... so how about 30x3 for the base and 20 x 3 for the shelves?

whatever you think I think you have a much better idea of what you're wanting to achieve, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    I would rethink your steel choice. Even if it is painted, the constant cleaning, wiping and moisture environment the paint will start peeling. Here in the US most all food service structures are stainless. And yes tube stainless with sealed openings would be my choice for your structure.
    The frame isn’t going to be visible from ‘outside’ the counter... I think i’ve just got to worry about the moisture released from hose connections inside... hopefully something to dehumidify in there and some marine paint or something will be enough....?

Dunno if I have the budget and resources to track down and start welding stainless...! :/

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    whatever you think I think you have a much better idea of what you're wanting to achieve, anyway.
    If I can get away with using normal steel... i’ll give it a crack on my test bench and see how it goes...

Just have it powder coated and you won't have any problems using regular steel.