Finding a Miller CP-200 or Cp-300
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Finding a Miller CP-200 or Cp-300

I am looking for a good mig machine to use for some fabricating and general repairs. I would like a tough durable machine without spending a pile of money. I was looking at the Millermatic 252 and then came across the Miller CP-200 and CP-300 machines. I only have single phase power so I would need to attempt the hass-kamp conversion. I found this machine locally but it doesn't have a cart. The guy says he will take $600 for it but that seems high to me. Any advise on what I should offer him? He says it works but is there anything I should look out for? I live close to Atlanta but is seems like everyone wants too much for their old machines. Where is everyone finding these machines so cheap?

Thank you,

Cessnaman

Name:  52891180_945232562352315_3964504729765019648_n.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  130.2 KB

Re: Finding a Miller CP-200 or Cp-300

In general what is your budget for a new/used machine.

Type of stuff you'l be fabricating ?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I run a landscaping company right now. We will be doing general repairs and some fabricating. I have an Idealarc 250 for stick welding and a small Hobart 140 mig welder right now. It would be nice to find a bigger mig machine that would last us forever. I guess I could pony up and buy a new Miller 252 but I worry about it getting stolen and if we would even use it enough to justify the cost. A solid cp200 or cp300 with 100% duty cycle that is made to be run nonstop in an industrial environment just sounds like a cool machine to have, especially if we can pick one up cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by cessnaman View Post
    I run a landscaping company right now. We will be doing general repairs and some fabricating. I have an Idealarc 250 for stick welding and a small Hobart 140 mig welder right now. It would be nice to find a bigger mig machine that would last us forever. I guess I could pony up and buy a new Miller 252 but I worry about it getting stolen and if we would even use it enough to justify the cost. A solid cp200 or cp300 with 100% duty cycle that is made to be run nonstop in an industrial environment just sounds like a cool machine to have, especially if we can pick one up cheap.
    Just wait until you find a SCP200, the single-phase version. Seen quite a few on fleabay over the years; the machine I learned on in the 70's. About the only thing that goes bad is the contactor. Another good old chunk of iron is an AirCo CavII 250. I built around twenty boats with one before I went inverter.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/t...909009112.html

It will do what you want.

or buy a new one at HF with the 1 year no hassle return policy.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I have a CP300 with a 22A feeder that I would sell cheap. And a Deltaweld 450 w/ feeder. Both work, we just don't need them. They are not as pretty as that one though.
    Tim

Miller
    MM 252, 350P

Thanks for all the replies. Tim I just sent you a pm. Any advice on what this machine might be worth considering I'm going to have to convert it to a single phase? I'm not sure what to offer him. Is that wire feeder decent? The folks at practical machinist have posted step by step instructions that make the conversion look relatively easy. I'm not super technical but it seems like a converted cp300 would crush a Miller 252.

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...ep-By-Step.pdf

Several cp300 on an online auction at St. Charles MN now.

Dave Kamp used to post here from time to time.
    If you start a conversion and get hung up let me know and I will text Dave.
    A CP200,250 or 300 with a 50 series feeder around me should be in the 500.00 range......who wants them?
    The guys that want them don't(generally) have 3 phase and the guys that have 3 phase don't(generally) want an old machine.
    The conversion has turned the corner for lots of old 3 phase only equipment.

[cessnaman]... Where is everyone finding these machines so cheap?...

I see on our local for-sale site (Saskatchewan) a Canox CP-300 dated 1987 from the serial number, $400 CAD. Looks like it lived a light-duty life. That's $300 USD. Note: no feeder - just the power source.
    Last edited by wwe; 06-13-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Noting no feeder included, removing the embedded quoted picture.

I could see if you got one for free it might be worth it but nowdays there's better options, for the occasional home use no matter how heavy the material a 150 stick welder would do everything, but it would be a nice science project just don't expect the world, I would think a 800 dollar hobart from tractor supply would do the same with less hassle and a warranty

They are a great machine and are dependable. If would still go with a 252 if it was me.
    --Gol'

Quote Originally Posted by Go1lum View Post
    They are a great machine and are dependable. If would still go with a 252 if it was me.
    How reliable/good are they when you change them from 3 phase to 1 phase, I have machines that are built from the factory to run 3 or 1 phase and they always run better on 3 phase

I have a Hobart RC-300 that I did the Haas-Kamp conversion on a couple years ago. I use it to weld 1/4" aluminum exclusively. The gauges on the front of the welder show between 25-28 volts and 200- 250 amps while welding. The Hobart powers a Cobramatic 150 with a Prince XL gun. I use 3/64" 4943 wire. I have had ZERO problems with this welder. As a test I welded around 250" with minimal interruptions. I shut down the welder, removed the top cover, and used a heat gun thermometer to see how warm things were inside. None of the transformers were above 95 degrees, and the air temp was 78 degrees.

Before I got this welder I was using my Millermatic 251 with a spoolgun. After about five 9" welds the fan would come on and I did get it to shut down for high heat once when I was welding in 100 degree heat. The Hobart is also thermally protected, but I shudder to think how hard I would have to work it to come close to this limit.

I have noticed that there is not as much voltage change at the top end of each range--the last 25% of range on the voltage control seems to make little difference in the weld output. I suspect this is true on each of the five ranges, but I have not tested this to verify. I notice this happening on range 3, which is the low end of my welding range. I typically run about 10% on range 4, with the inductance (stability) set between 50-75%. Just for giggles one time I sandwiched 3 pieces of 1/4" together, set the welder to range 5 and cranked up the wire speed. I was able to burn through the top two 1/4" pieces and left a big melted bubble on the bottom of the last piece. I believe this was way over the welding current limit the 3/64" wire will tolerate--would have been interesting with thicker wire.
    Last edited by Deerehauler; 06-15-2019 at 10:33 PM.

I have both a CP300 and CP200 i did conversions on. I gave 300 for the 300 with feeder and 200 for the 200 without. The 200 is a nicer machine and the 300 doesn't work as well on the single phase. I didnt have very much trouble finding them locally for cheap. Nobody wants 3ph equipment. Especially old.

I find they are louder on single phase. vibrating laminations maybe. It's not a big deal and i got really good welders cheap.
    Miller Syncrowave 300(s)
    Miller 330 A/BP w/ WP-18 torch / WP-26 torch
    Miller CP-200 Haas / Kamp'd / CP-300 in process
    Homemade tig cooler
    Miller 30A /S-52E feeders