Purchased Pro Pulse 300 HTP
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Purchased Pro Pulse 300 HTP

Been looking for a new machine to give me some advanced pulse options and went ahead and pulled the trigger on the HTP Pro Pulse 300. This is basically a STEL Iron-Mig 303p from Italy, since I already own another STEL Tig (ESAB 281) and very happy it was an easy choice. Just showed up today, I will run it through some various processes and post back with some pics. I just bought the basic machine, I am throwing a new Tweco gun I had laying around on it and in the next few weeks get a set up for aluminum with a water cooled torch. Wired it for single phase right now, you have to put your own plug on, down the road I might see if 3 phase changes any characteristics of the welding.

Fit and finish look real nice, I am impressed with the quality and user interface, took me less than a minute to figure everything out, fans are not loud at all. Couple things I noticed is the one I received does not have the door that closes over the screen, other pics I have seen have this, might be a good thing to have in my shop to keep the screen and buttons in better shape, guess time will tell, plus the gas connections are euro/non standard (I knew this and was sent the correct adaptor fitting hose). No complaints so far, I am not a fan of euro back ends on mig guns but no choice if you want this welder.

The drive looks robust, dual drive with top idlers, molded plastic wire guide in back, it has a purge and inch button on the inside, to me this is a great option. Everyone at HTP was real easy to work with and truck shipping was awesome.

Not much info on these machines, hopefully it lives up to my expectations. I plan on just keeping this a shop welder for now, or until the new wears off a little, I would not think of treating it like my Rebels...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Re: Purchased Pro Pulse 300 HTP

Bad to Da Bone ! Next on my list ! Got a few weeks to go. I don't DO cards.
    Name:  P6112109.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  74.0 KB

You have the esab 281ac/dc? How is it? I asked esab or thermal arc 2 times at trade shows and they couldn't care less about answering or give me any information on the machine, they were to busy pushing rebels with some cable TV 4 wheel drive idiot that I didn't know til after the show and he cannot weld from what I seen on his show, or fit up tubing, guess it's to late for reviews I don't think esab sells the 281/283 anymore, and I wouldn't trust them to be a good source, maybe HTP should look at importing the Stel 281 tig or whatever cause the 221 is a little short on amps far any serious ac welding and a little to complicated

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    You have the esab 281ac/dc? How is it? I asked esab or thermal arc 2 times at trade shows and they couldn't care less about answering or give me any information on the machine, they were to busy pushing rebels with some cable TV 4 wheel drive idiot that I didn't know til after the show and he cannot weld from what I seen on his show, or fit up tubing, guess it's to late for reviews I don't think esab sells the 281/283 anymore, and I wouldn't trust them to be a good source, maybe HTP should look at importing the Stel 281 tig or whatever cause the 221 is a little short on amps far any serious ac welding and a little to complicated
    I really like the HELIARC 281, it has 100% duty cycle at 250 amps, awesome HF start, pretty decent sized unit. Very easy simple interface for quick set up and adjustments, AC welding has a nice soft arc throught the frequency range, seems STEL got this one right, ESAB made sure it had all the standard connections and SSC pedal. The cooler sits perfect under the machine and really a slick set up. I saw these machines at Fabtech when they first came out, even then ESAB did not seem to eager to push these units. I had to ask one of the reps to give me some info on it and he said it was a proven machine made in Italy. I think it's better then the new model, but I have never seen it in person, just the specs. Last I heard they had the 281i in their lineup and might still be on the USA website? I would recommend the 281i to anyone without hesitation.

I know ESAB has been Rebel crazy the last few years, not a bad machine for what it is, I have 2 of them for mobile work, they are tough, and take some serious abuse. As far as the cable TV personalities, they don't sell me on anything, same guy raved about the 205 when I was testing it at SEMA, sad it was not fully functional.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Jawslandshark, welcome to the PP300 club. Ive had mine for almost a year. Kick-a#& machine! If you don't have it already, set-up a C8-C10 gas mix for pulse/spray, and let that thing rip!

Pat h, the big brother to the 221 is rumored to be available soon. Invertig 400 AC/DC. 300A single phase, 400A 3-phase.
    Last edited by Oscar; 06-12-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Thanks for the info jawslandshark, I was real interested years ago ready to buy and they basically almost all but ignored me that was at a fabtech also, about 10 years before that I ran into esab at a smaller distributer trade show and they were very helpful and bent over backwards to help, guess times have changed, Oscar that's good to hear because a 220 amp machine really gets pushed hard on a lot of ac work, if they can keep the prices competitive they should do good

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Pat h, the big brother to the 221 is rumored to be available soon. Invertig 400 AC/DC. 300A single phase, 400A 3-phase.
    400 amps you say? 3 phase you say?

Name:  amazed-baby.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  40.8 KB
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Got the gun on today and loaded it with some copper free ER70S-6 .035, played around with the pulse settings on c10. I have some adjustments to do on finding the sweet spot especially thinner guage, the double pulse adds a layer of complexity that I did not spend much time yet for MS, that may be an aluminum only deal since single is all I would need. I may just trial and error on some brackets I have lined up and test out the short arc with c25. I have a couple other migs to do some head to head testing and will see who has the best synergic. I am debating throwing in a roll of ER70S-2, that seems to run pulse cleaner with no spits.

This is was a trial on some 10ga, single pulse just a slight roll movement. Right off the bat I noticed the program adjustments skip increments in guage thickness not in nominal thickness, there is no .250 it's .236 for say 1/4 inch for a desired amperage adjusting the IPM, then throw in the voltage trim, all of it will take some time to get used to, just a differnt way of doing things.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thanks for the proper pics, I always like to see pics of the feed rollers in a MIG welder, just gives me an idea of how much has been spent on the important bits.

Looks like a topping machine
    Last edited by Munkul; 06-13-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    400 amps you say? 3 phase you say?

Name:  amazed-baby.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  40.8 KB
    That's what the lil birdie told me. Should be interesting. Only gripe is with the de-rating nature of it's power supply. Would have been awesome if it would be able to do 400A on 1-Φ power. Gotta have a phase converter to get to it's peak output if all one has is 1-Φ power available.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    thanks for the proper pics, I always like to see pics of the feed rollers in a MIG welder, just gives me an idea of how much has been spent on the important bits.

Looks like a topping machine
    That's part of what makes the icing on the cake. The arc is sooo smooth. Smoother than the Miller 211 inverter that I had and subsequently sold.
    Last edited by Oscar; 06-13-2019 at 11:52 AM.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I got to mess around with the PP300 a little more today, switched from C10 to C25, wanted to test the short arc synergic. I am really impressed so far on 10 guage material (some scrap I had), by far one of the smoothest short arc synergic machines I have used for this thickness, inductance changes will soften it up really nice. Now comparing say against a Migmaster 250, it wets out just as well and about the same arc feel, the starts on the PP300 are way better. I know I am comparing apples to oranges and a MM250 is not synergic but I was just using my old Migmaster at a friends house recently and those machines kind of set the bar for thinner material short arc welding and bead appearance IMO. On to the Rebel 235, one thing I noticed right off is spatter on starts, the Rebel also did not seems to have as rapid response to CTWD, now in all fairness to the Rebel it does settle down and lay a nice weld, but by feel the PP300 just does it way nicer, I guess you get what you pay for there. I was using .035 wire in both machines but the PP did have copper free loaded, not sure that makes a differnce. Burnback setting on the PP is the best I have used so far.

Ok a couple of cons so far, it would not be fair to leave that out. The Pro Pulse 300 takes a little more time to find the sweet spot with the settings, I am not thrilled with the thickness selection identification, this is where the Rebel has it beat, select common guage, tweak the volts and burn metal, the screen is easier to see also, I am nitpicking a little here, the advanced features GUI is better in the PP though. Now for the other issue that really needs a programming update, after you weld the PP keeps up the welding info for like 1 second, you barely can get your hood up to see before it switches back to standard screen and its in purple that you can't even focus, on the flip side the Rebel holds the welding amps and volts too long but you can push the button and it changes back if you don't want to wait.

Now one thing that really jumped out at me is pulse on c25, really nice, liked it over c10 for the 10 guage material. The ICold for tacking, nothing better I have ever used period, perfect round tacks, no spatter and solid. I hope to take a couple quick videos of this machine in action, but that may take a bit since I am no video expert. I will get some more picture soon and also for aluminum when I get that setup figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    Now one thing that really jumped out at me is pulse on c25, really nice, liked it over c10 for the 10 guage material. The ICold for tacking, nothing better I have ever used period, perfect round tacks, no spatter and solid. I hope to take a couple quick videos of this machine in action, but that may take a bit since I am no video expert. I will get some more picture soon and also for aluminum when I get that setup figured out.
    Pulse on C25, IIRC, won't achieve true spray transfer on the high side of the pulse (which is what it is supposed to do). But, you can still get it to operate in the same fashion if you dial up the voltage about +4.0V or so. With the voltage capability of this machine (35V or so), it makes the spray transfer transition easier.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

The HTP stork flew over my house yet again! Dropped off this baby!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

That's what the lil birdie told me. Should be interesting. Only gripe is with the de-rating nature of it's power supply. Would have been awesome if it would be able to do 400A on 1-Φ power. Gotta have a phase converter to get to it's peak output if all one has is 1-Φ power available.
    300 amps 1-phase / 400 amps 3-phase is still a respectable amount of power. I think it beats the Lincoln Aspect 375: 375-3-phase and 250-1-phase and hopefully will cost less and be lighter.
    The Miller Dynasty 400 specs. state 3-400 amps 1 or 3 phase but the duty cycle is less on 1 phase. Cost of the Dynasty is considerably higher so I guess it costs more to build a machine with that much output on single phase.
    That HTP 400 might be the ticket for me and I'm looking forward to it. I first heard of it around last fall. Did you get any clues when it may be available?
    Ernie F.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    300 amps 1-phase / 400 amps 3-phase is still a respectable amount of power. I think it beats the Lincoln Aspect 375: 375-3-phase and 250-1-phase and hopefully will cost less and be lighter.
    The Miller Dynasty 400 specs. state 3-400 amps 1 or 3 phase but the duty cycle is less on 1 phase. Cost of the Dynasty is considerably higher so I guess it costs more to build a machine with that much output on single phase.
    That HTP 400 might be the ticket for me and I'm looking forward to it. I first heard of it around last fall. Did you get any clues when it may be available?
    Lil' birdie told me late Fall 2019. We'll see.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Lil' birdie told me late Fall 2019. We'll see.
    It will be interesting to see the details. I looked on the Stel site and wondered if it will be a HTP version of this: http://www.stelgroup.it/tig-up-453h-ac-dc/?lang=en which is also shown as "Coming 2019".
    Ernie F.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    It will be interesting to see the details. I looked on the Stel site and wondered if it will be a HTP version of this: http://www.stelgroup.it/tig-up-453h-ac-dc/?lang=en which is also shown as "Coming 2019".
    It sure looks like it could be. Same form-factor as the PP300.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC