home shop NOISE... - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: home shop NOISE...

My dog snores. It is a soothing sound. I run a fan at night in the bedroom as "white noise"

Noise is only a problem for distant neighbors if they identify it as offensive. If it is a well loved neighbor doing his thing it is for some people less troublesome than living next to a frat house with wild parties every night.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Everybody around here shoots. Noise ain't a problem (shrug)

My closest neighbor is about a half mile away so shop noise is not an issue and I won't do any shooting before noon on Sunday unless I have to.

CR

We have a noise ordinance, 9 pm to 7 am, I can definitely live with that. I share 5 acres with the people north of me, she's single & probably wouldn't gripe, just call me to the fence and ask to cut the noise a bit. We have an understanding about things, She lets us know about illegals/strangers, snakes etc, and we do the same, also keep an eye on each other's property if we're away. She's good people, I went through school with her.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

My garage is on the corner, I'm it's only neighbor...nothing across the street except a lawyer's office and my optometrist. My smithy is next to the garage about 20 feet from the road but hidden behind a 6 foot concrete wall, the only people that would hear any noise are those walking by. Only thing I'm waiting for is someday I expect someone walking or driving by will complain about the thick, putrid smoke from when I first fire up the coal forge. Once she's burning hot tho it's as clean as a Prius! Seriously tho they can complain but I'm just a hobbiest, can't shut me down for that, this ain't California!
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    i like the stall mat, i'll have to pick one up and see if i use it
    If memory serves they are 3' X 6'. I cut them in half, so I have several 3' X 3's. The pieces I work on are 8' in diameter with a 22" stainless steel center, so I lay 4 of the squares out and that gets most of the noise. I cut 2 of the 3x3 squares in half corner to corner so I can cover the 'corners' . This gets 90% of the noise muffled.

The last stall mats I picked up at the feed store were 4 x 6 I remember because they fit good in the back of my truck bed well a couple feet short of the front where the truckbox is... I do recall getting a bunch of the inch or inch and a quarter mats a long time ago and they were bigger and pretty much impossible for one guy to move around by himself...

My neighbors know I listen to Napalm Death. I just blast this through my $10k stereo system (which can be heard outside of the house/garage with all doors closed):

...and with that, they can't tell the difference between that and power tools! "Oh, he's just listening to his music again...", LOL.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Nice Oscar

I’ve got some Gorguts on the random play mp3
    Always cranked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Nice Oscar

I’ve got some Gorguts on the random play mp3
    Always cranked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    nice. Reminds me of early Suffocation.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I would watch the of you make any sound. I try keep noise be for 9 AM to 4 PM later if possible.

FYI Always you are doing a hobby or helpinga.

Dave

so no complaints yet, but what do you all do to help keep the noise down?

or i've ever thought of like a white noise maker to help mask the sound.... any ideas. if i'm reall bad ive thought to run the lawn mower just to drown out the tool noise.

i know for the most part my neighbors will have to deal with it but im curious as to what others have done
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Interesting topic. One of my mates went to the extreme with his home workshop, spending a **** load on sound deadining gear.
    It works ok but he still can't grind or do loud things late at night.

I was making heaps of noise at home from 10am to 10pm when i had a contract repairing cages for a logistics company.
    Those are the legal times that nosie can be made in residential areas here.
    However I woke up one morning to find my garage had been burnt down. It really ****ed up the place and cost me heaps of money in damages.
    From the evidence found it was clear that it had been deliberately started by someone. I never learnt who lit the fire but I suspect it was one of my neighbours, sick of the noise.

Since then I moved out and now have video surveillance at my place.
    My advise is stick to the noise time laws in your area fit some cameras in case someone does something unreasonable to your place.

If you work in garage I would add insulation to walls and use sound deading sheetrock
    The door can also have sound deading.

Dave

so no complaints yet, but what do you all do to help keep the noise down?

or i've ever thought of like a white noise maker to help mask the sound.... any ideas. if i'm reall bad ive thought to run the lawn mower just to drown out the tool noise.

i know for the most part my neighbors will have to deal with it but im curious as to what others have done
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    If you work in garage I would add insulation to walls and use sound deading sheetrock
    The door can also have sound deading.

Dave
    when i bought the place it already was 2x6 insulated walls, fully insulated tgi truss, and all rocked and fire taped. but the 800 sq ft of of garage door area wasn't insulated and definitely added sound. i have since used insulated ceiling panels stuffed 3 thick in the garage doors. it made a huge difference, not just in noise but keeping warm and cool.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

similar to caveman but I live further east (Tucson) my neighbors are used to my Harleys and peterbilts so the engine drive welders are actually "quiet" and definitely not as loud as the FN-FAL AKs, AR15s or 10mm which used to practice with in back 40 before a housing development was built in the line of fire on the bright side.. my place has driven down their property values enough they are having a hard time selling the lots